PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Items In Tags enhancement

dSw
2005-05-20, 18:21
I've spent quite a bit of time ripping my CD collection and adding multiple genres to certain albums, seperated by a comma, safe in the knowledge that SlimServer could seperate out each of the genres.

Firstly, it isn't actually working for genres at the moment (v6.0.2) - but I think I may need to do a 'wipe cache' since I did the first scan before the "Multiple Items In Tags" property was enabled. It doesn't actually say this next to the setting itself, but this is what I am guessing.

Secondly, I'm now finding that some of my track titles are being split because a comma is used in the title.

What I think would be a useful enhancement is if you could set the "Multiple Items In Tags" option for Artists, Titles and Genres seperately e.g. have it enabled for Genres and not for Titles.

Does this sound feasible and is it something that I could file as an enhancement request?

thanks

JJZolx
2005-05-20, 18:58
I've spent quite a bit of time ripping my CD collection and adding multiple genres to certain albums, seperated by a comma, safe in the knowledge that SlimServer could seperate out each of the genres.

Firstly, it isn't actually working for genres at the moment (v6.0.2) - but I think I may need to do a 'wipe cache' since I did the first scan before the "Multiple Items In Tags" property was enabled. It doesn't actually say this next to the setting itself, but this is what I am guessing.

I think that's a good bet.

Secondly, I'm now finding that some of my track titles are being split because a comma is used in the title.

What I think would be a useful enhancement is if you could set the "Multiple Items In Tags" option for Artists, Titles and Genres seperately e.g. have it enabled for Genres and not for Titles.

I'm not sure why this needs to be applied to track title at all. Artists and genres makes sense, but you'll likely also run into the same problem with artists ("Blood, Sweat & Tears").

The thing to do is to use an unusual character such as a semi-colon, asterisk or vertical pipe ("|") that isn't likely to be found in a title or artist name. It's probably not something you really want to hear now that you've tagged your files.

If you're tagging flac files, we've been told that SlimServer should eventually support multiple ARTIST & GENRE tags rather than relying on the seperator kludge. I believe there's an enhancment request for multi-same-tag functionality in the bugzilla database.
________
iolite vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

dSw
2005-05-21, 10:29
I'm not sure why this needs to be applied to track title at all. Artists and genres makes sense, but you'll likely also run into the same problem with artists ("Blood, Sweat & Tears").

The thing to do is to use an unusual character such as a semi-colon, asterisk or vertical pipe ("|") that isn't likely to be found in a title or artist name. It's probably not something you really want to hear now that you've tagged your files.

If you're tagging flac files, we've been told that SlimServer should eventually support multiple ARTIST & GENRE tags rather than relying on the seperator kludge. I believe there's an enhancment request for multi-same-tag functionality in the bugzilla database.

Thanks for that. The use of an unusual character makes sense but hadn't occurred to me. I agree that a better solution is to support multiple tags of the same name. Hopefully this will be incorporated into SlimServer soon.

Aaron Zinck
2005-05-23, 08:53
You can even use character combinations to make the separator more unique.
Something like %; would be a pretty safe bet, for instance.

Ben Sandee
2005-05-23, 09:27
> Thanks for that. The use of an unusual character makes sense but hadn't
> occurred to me. I agree that a better solution is to support multiple
> tags of the same name. Hopefully this will be incorporated into
> SlimServer soon.

Just to be clear, this support would be for FLAC and other
vorbis-tagged files. MP3's would still be limited by the ID3
limitations of a single artist.

Does anyone know -- is it possible to add vorbis tags to mp3 files? I
can't find any good info on that. None of my tagging tools seem to
allow it.

Ben

RACliffe
2005-05-23, 10:22
The multiple tag problem has been submitted as a bug in 6.0. (see bug number 1209 http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1209).

The seperator character seems to work under windows, but not under Linux (at least on my version of Linux)

max.spicer
2005-05-23, 13:48
The multiple tag problem has been submitted as a bug in 6.0. (see bug number 1209 http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1209).

The seperator character seems to work under windows, but not under Linux (at least on my version of Linux)
It certainly does work on Linux, and I can't think why the OS should make a difference. I have my genres split using the semicolon on Debian/Sarge and it works a treat.

Ben Sandee
2005-05-23, 13:59
On 5/23/05, max. spicer <max.spicer.1pi5lb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> RACliffe Wrote:
> > The multiple tag problem has been submitted as a bug in 6.0. (see bug
> > number 1209 http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1209).
> >
> > The seperator character seems to work under windows, but not under
> > Linux (at least on my version of Linux)
> It certainly does work on Linux, and I can't think why the OS should
> make a difference. I have my genres split using the semicolon on
> Debian/Sarge and it works a treat.

I agree, it works fine on Linux (in my opinion and experience). The
referenced bug is actually not about the feature being completely
broken but about how when you play a track that has its artist tag
split, you only see the first artist in the "artist" field rather than
all of the artists that are part of the tag. The actual artists are
listed in the "browse artists" display just fine, as far as I can
tell.

I am watching this bug though, as I'd like for this issue to be fixed
because it's more accurate to list all of the contributing artists