PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeNetwork - first thoughts

Philip Meyer
2005-05-19, 13:51
I just tried the SqueezeNetwork for the first time (having just received my replacement SqueezeBox2 with a working headphone socket).

Here's some initial ramblings...

1. I found it easy to connect to the SqueezeNetwork (SN) and configure.

2. How does the PIN get generated? Is this id allocated from SN the first time a unique SB2 connects?

3. The SB2 feels a lot slower to navigate through menus when connected to the SN. Does each remote control action perform a round-trip visit to the server across the internet?

4. I selected a radio station to play, and for the first few seconds it played fine. After that it was really choppy. I tried a few stations, but all exhibited the same stuttery sound. I checked my PC's network traffic, which was utilising 0% transmit and receive, so the SB2 could use all bandwidth.

5. Whilst connected to the SN, I looked at my slimserver UI, and my player was no longer listed. Is it not possible to connect/disconnect to/from the SN from the slimserver? I was kind of expecting my local slimserver to override the SN on demand, such that when my local server is not present, it can fall back to the SN, but when the slimserver is available, it could switch back to it.

6. I couldn't set an alarm time of 7:15am. It doesn't like 10's of minutes - I could set the time for 7:05 or 7:01. Still, with my timekeeping, this is perhaps not a bad thing ;)

7. As an idea, it would be nice to have some kind of scheduling facility - set a time, a short message and a sound effect using the SqueezeNetwork website, and the SqueezeBox2 would play this sound effect and scroll the message onto the display. I could then send reminders to home from work. Perhaps the slimserver could periodically connect to the SN to get any updates to scheduled reminders, so it would work even when the SB2 is connected to the local server.

Phil

Philip Meyer
2005-05-19, 14:02
>4. I selected a radio station to play, and for the first few seconds it played fine. After that it was really choppy. I tried a few stations, but all exhibited the same stuttery sound. I checked my PC's network traffic, which was utilising 0% transmit and receive, so the SB2 could use all bandwidth.

Further to this point, I have tried connecting to the same radio stations through my local slimserver, and the sound is choppy there as well tonight. Problems with my ISP or BT probably.

Phil

Michael Haan
2005-05-19, 14:29
How do I access the SN?  I've poked around but can find any info.

>From: Philip Meyer <phil (AT) hergest (DOT) demon.co.uk>
>Reply-To: Slim Devices Discussion <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
>To: Slim Devices Discussion <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
>Subject: Re: [slim] SqueezeNetwork - first thoughts
>Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 22:02:52 +0100
>
> >4. I selected a radio station to play, and for the first few seconds it played fine.  After that it was really choppy.  I tried a few stations, but all exhibited the same stuttery sound.  I checked my PC's network traffic, which was utilising 0% transmit and receive, so the SB2 could use all bandwidth.
>
>Further to this point, I have tried connecting to the same radio stations through my local slimserver, and the sound is choppy there as well tonight.  Problems with my ISP or BT probably.
>
>Phil
>
>_______________________________________________
>Discuss mailing list
>Discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
>http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/discuss

JJZolx
2005-05-19, 14:34
5. Whilst connected to the SN, I looked at my slimserver UI, and my player was no longer listed. Is it not possible to connect/disconnect to/from the SN from the slimserver? I was kind of expecting my local slimserver to override the SN on demand, such that when my local server is not present, it can fall back to the SN, but when the slimserver is available, it could switch back to it.

I noticed that also. At the very least, there would seem to be a need to permit the local SlimServer to break the Squeezebox out of its SqueezeNetwork mode. It's also a little diconcerting seeing the "cannot find a Squeezebox" message at the server. The SB and local SlimServer should somehow keep an open dialog between them even when the SB is connected to SqueezeNetwork.

I suspect, though, that this is really just a product of being a very early version of the software and that more intelligence in dealing with switching between the local server and SqueezeNetwork is planned for the future.
________
buy vapir vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vapir-air-one)

kdf
2005-05-19, 14:39
Quoting Michael Haan <michael_haan (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>:

>
> How do I access the SN? I've poked around but can find any info.

you need the latest version of the server, as Dean instructed in the orignal
thread regarding SqueezeNetwork Alpha release.

after that, it will be an item in your players top level menu (SB2 only)

-kdf

JJZolx
2005-05-19, 14:40
How do I access the SN? I've poked around but can find any info.

Install the latest nightly from the 6.1 trunk.

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.1/

You'll be prompted to upgrade the firmware on your SB2. After you upgrade the firmware you'll find it on the first SB menu.
________
Honda TLR200 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_TLR200)

vidurapparao
2005-05-19, 15:25
<snip>

1. I found it easy to connect to the SqueezeNetwork (SN) and configure.

Great!

2. How does the PIN get generated? Is this id allocated from SN the first time a unique SB2 connects?

The PIN is not currently used, but will be shortly. It is meant to be an identifier that can be used to associate multiple players together with an account, so that settings such as Favorites can be shared between them.

3. The SB2 feels a lot slower to navigate through menus when connected to the SN. Does each remote control action perform a round-trip visit to the server across the internet?

Actually, yes. The SqueezeNetwork is meant to be a SlimServer-in-the-sky and speaks Slimproto (the same protocol as your local SlimServer). We're continuing to optimize the protocol to make it less chatty. As the network grows, we may also have Points of Presence (POPs) in various locations to improve roundtrip speed.

Currently, you have to make an explicit decision to switch between the two. We're definitely open to ideas on how to make the transition smoother.

6. I couldn't set an alarm time of 7:15am. It doesn't like 10's of minutes - I could set the time for 7:05 or 7:01. Still, with my timekeeping, this is perhaps not a bad thing ;)

Hmm...I didn't have a problem setting a time of 7:15. There is a SqueezeNetwork category in the bug database (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/), so feel free to file bugs, ideally with steps to recreate.

7. As an idea, it would be nice to have some kind of scheduling facility - set a time, a short message and a sound effect using the SqueezeNetwork website, and the SqueezeBox2 would play this sound effect and scroll the message onto the display. I could then send reminders to home from work. Perhaps the slimserver could periodically connect to the SN to get any updates to scheduled reminders, so it would work even when the SB2 is connected to the local server.

A great idea. Please file an enhancement bug.

--Vidur

dean
2005-05-19, 16:25
On May 19, 2005, at 1:51 PM, Philip Meyer wrote:
> 3. The SB2 feels a lot slower to navigate through menus when
> connected to the SN. Does each remote control action perform a
> round-trip visit to the server across the internet?
Where in the world are you, Philip? Performance of navigation in the
Bay Area is quite good (sometimes better than connecting to my local
slimserver!), I imagine that the lag you see might be related to the
round-trip time across the internet.

JJZolx
2005-05-19, 17:20
> 5. Whilst connected to the SN, I looked at my slimserver UI,
> and my player was no longer listed. Is it not possible to
> connect/disconnect to/from the SN from the slimserver? I was
> kind of expecting my local slimserver to override the SN on
> demand, such that when my local server is not present, it can
> fall back to the SN, but when the slimserver is available, it
> could switch back to it.

Currently, you have to make an explicit decision to switch
between the two. We're definitely open to ideas on how to make
the transition smoother.

Ideally you could do this from the web interface on the local SlimServer, which would stay in contact with the Squeezebox even if the SB is connected to SqueezeNetwork. I have no idea if Slimproto supports (or can be made to support) more than one server connection. But I want to see all of the Squeezeboxes on my network from SlimServer and if I queue up a song and hit 'Play', then it needs to play.

If it's not possible to do from the local SlimServer, then maybe:

* A SqueezeNetwork option to sign off after N hours/minutes of inactivity? This would just save the user the trouble of manually doing it if he forgets he was connected to SqueezeNetwork, but normally uses the local server. This would have to be an option, and would probably need to defaul to staying connected to SN.

* An option for behavior after a powering ON. Either 1) connect to local SlimServer, 2) connect to Squeezenetwork, or 3) Resume last connection. This would essentially be a quick way of signing on or off, rather than going through the menu selections you just hit the ON/OFF button twice.

* Have the SB periodically look for a local SlimServer. If it sees one, then connect to it. Continue playing whatever radio stream you were connected to.

In the same manner that it would be desirable for the local SlimServer to be able to "grab" the SB connection for itself, with talk of alarms and notifications coming from the SqueezeNetwork you're going to need the ability to talk to an SB even if it's not explicitly connected to SqueezeNetwork.

Now, I'm sure _that_ suggestion will raise a few eyebrows! Imagine, the ability for SlimDevices to talk to a Squeezebox even when it's not currently connected to SN. :-) But if you don't have this ability, then with people setting alarms and reminders from SqueezeNetwork you're going to have many of them never going off because the device wasn't connected to SqueezeNetwork. Needless to say, this will also need to be an option - "Allow SqueezeNetwork to connect to this Squeezebox" or else the privacy advocates will be up in arms. This could also be implmented in the other direction by using some type of polling - the SB when NOT connected to SN polls SN once every 60 seconds to see if there are any alarms or reminders to process.
________
buy herbalaire vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/herbalaire-vaporizer)