PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver causing temporary PC lockup



Bungi
2005-05-17, 06:04
I have been running the Squeezebox 2 for a couple of weeks using xP Home and have no problem at the Squeezebox end - runs pretty much flawlessly. However, whenever Slimserver 6.0.2 is running in the background, my PC freezes as I am working in other applications. The freeze happens for about 10 seconds before normal service is resumed. This happens about once a minute and as you can imagine is very irritating - it happens to any and all applications so is not specific to anyone piece of software. I have a library of around 8,000 songs (mp3) currently (many more when the whole collection is ripped)but very few playlists. I have wiped the cache and rescanned but it seems there is no difference. I am using an RSS feed as a screensaver (also when powered down) but apart from that have a pretty regulation setup.

Anyone out there have any ideas???

mherger
2005-05-17, 07:32
> However, whenever Slimserver 6.0.2 is running in the background, my PC
> freezes as I am working in other applications. The freeze happens for

Are you sure it's slimserver? When you stop it, you don't have the problem
any more?

> about 10 seconds before normal service is resumed. This happens about
> once a minute and as you can imagine is very irritating - it happens to

Do you have the web interface or the slim application open? It is
refreshed every 30 seconds, which might cause some load on your machine.

What's your machine's specs?

> any and all applications so is not specific to anyone piece of software.
> I have a library of around 8,000 songs (mp3) currently (many more when
> the whole collection is ripped)but very few playlists. I have wiped the
> cache and rescanned but it seems there is no difference. I am using an
> RSS feed as a screensaver (also when powered down) but apart from that
> have a pretty regulation setup.

Do you use other plugins? Does it change when you set the screensaver to
the default "now playing" or the clock?

Regards,

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Bungi
2005-05-17, 07:35
I should have mentioned that I am running a 3.2 gHz Pentium 4 with 1 gb of RAM and that Task Manager shows cpu usage at 100% (or close) during these lockups

mherger
2005-05-17, 07:43
> I should have mentioned that I am running a 3.2 gHz Pentium 4 with 1 gb

That should be enough to run slimserver :-)

> of RAM and that Task Manager shows cpu usage at 100% (or close) during
> these lockups

But which task is using these >90%?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Bungi
2005-05-17, 07:56
The problem only arises when Slimserver is running - if I exit then the machine goes back to being it's usual well-behaved self! It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the web interface is open or not, and at the Squeezebox end the music plays without interuption.

The only plug-ins I have going are rescan (overnight), RSS, Datetime & Save Playlist

mherger
2005-05-17, 08:02
> The problem only arises when Slimserver is running - if I exit then the
> machine goes back to being it's usual well-behaved self! It doesn't
> seem to make any difference whether the web interface is open or not,
> and at the Squeezebox end the music plays without interuption.

Do you use iTunes? Which task is causing the load (slim.exe or
slimserver.exe)?

> The only plug-ins I have going are rescan (overnight), RSS, Datetime &
> Save Playlist

Nothing fancy, indeed.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Bungi
2005-05-17, 08:25
I don't use iTunes (MusicMatch 10 - not running though)

Watching the cpu usage I get regular small spikes of about 45% (20% slim.exe, 12% slimserver.exe, 8% other) and then every couple of minute slim.exe goes to 97% causing a short freeze. Very strange.....

Jim
2005-05-17, 08:40
Try disabling all these plugins and seeing how it effects performance - particularly the RSS - I haven't used it for a long time but I remember I stopped using it after getting issues on a dedicated (almost) server.

Bungi
2005-05-17, 08:45
Thanks for all the comments - I will try unloading everything possible - especially the RSS feed. Off now but will report back on success (or otherwise!)

dean
2005-05-17, 21:21
If you quit SlimServer.exe (but leave the server process slim.exe)
running, does the CPU hogging problem continue to happen?


On May 17, 2005, at 8:25 AM, Bungi wrote:

>
> I don't use iTunes (MusicMatch 10 - not running though)
>
> Watching the cpu usage I get regular small spikes of about 45% (20%
> slim.exe, 12% slimserver.exe, 8% other) and then every couple of
> minute
> slim.exe goes to 97% causing a short freeze. Very strange.....
>
>
> --
> Bungi
>

Bungi
2005-05-23, 06:56
I think the whle problem was now to running the RSS news feeds - once I closed the RSS plug-in the problem seems to have disappeared. Shame, because it was a nice thing to have running....

HMSeattle
2005-05-23, 21:19
I am experiencing the same problem. Im running 6.1 and MusicMatch 1.51.1 on Win XP. At first I thouhgt it was a SS and MM issue. I disabled the RSS and it *appears* to have stopped the problem.