PDA

View Full Version : problems with finding music since slimserver 6.0.2

dazzlevw
2005-05-16, 02:32
Hi all,
Been using slimserver/slimp3 for ages and never had cause to post here but have now hit on a problem, any help appreciated...

Have been using ss 5.4 for a while and today upgraded to 6.0.2. now when i scan my music folder, I only get 33 albums out of 216 that are actually in the folder. tried wipe cache but still returns the same.

Uninstalled 6.0.2 and reinstalled 5.4 but this now happens in 5.4 as well when it never did before!!!

Music is in MP3, running on windows xp, files are stored in Media/music/artist/album/trackname format.

if I use "browse music folder" I can see all of my music, but if using "browse artists/albums" then I only get these few...

If you need me to post log files, let me know which options i should check and then i willrescan again and post the log if it helps

***edit....just to add, if i "browse music folder", the artist names are displayed but if you try to open them slimserver displays "empty". I know the files are there, they play fine in media player, Slimserver just seems unable to "see" them

Many thanks

daz

dazzlevw
2005-05-16, 08:11
and further.....

Just found some tracks which do not show up in the "browse album/artist" views but when you go in through "browse music folder" they are there and play no problem.....

What is going on!!! please help me!!!!

PS, just tried updating to the latest nightly but has the same effect

Gregory Forrest
2005-05-16, 19:08
I updated to 6.0.2 from 5.4.something and found a few albums missing. The
problem in my case was - if the Artist name was the same as the Album name,
the unit would not recognize the album, even after a rescan. I fixed this
by adding a space after the album name, or chaging the album name slightly.

Greg

> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of dazzlevw
> Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 08:11
> To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> Subject: [slim] Re: problems with finding music since slimserver 6.0.2
>
>
>
> and further.....
>
> Just found some tracks which do not show up in the "browse
> album/artist" views but when you go in through "browse music folder"
> they are there and play no problem.....
>
> What is going on!!! please help me!!!!
>
> PS, just tried updating to the latest nightly but has the same effect
>
>
> --
> dazzlevw
>

dazzlevw
2005-05-16, 23:43
Thanks for the reply.
I don't think that is the cause though....eg i've got media\music\alanis morissette\jagged little pill\tracks and it won't find that.

It's very odd, it finds green day\american idiot but not green day\nimrod or green day\insomniac

is there something in the tag structure or file names which could be causing a problem?

eg, when i used xlobby i had to make sure that there was no apostrophes,exclamation marks or hashes because its database was xml and those symbols caused it to crash......does the sqldb have any similar nuances?? spaces,question marks,brackets?

I've also found a couple of cases where it just finds one track froma full album (dimestore hoods\18 with a bullet) but not the rest of the album!!
Any further advice welcomed

Cheers

oiler1fan
2005-05-18, 02:13
I've had my SB2 a total of 10 days, and the user acceptance factor is declining fast. I just want to play my music, not spend hours troubleshooting a device I paid $300 for that should plug and play. I am not a software developer and have no intentions of becoming one. I can't see playlists, some artists don't show up, I have albums that are "empty" and more. If I can't get it sorted quick its gone to EBay, and the CD player gets resurrected from the garage. Suggested fixes including wiping cache, rescan, reloadng software etc have all been unsuccessful so far.

XP SP2 with iTunes 4.8 and SlimServer 6.0.2 & 6.0.3
:-(

dazzlevw
2005-05-18, 02:33
It is a niggle......i've had my slimp3 for around 18 months and i wouldn't be without it now!!!

I've emailed tech support to see if they have any bright ideas.......hang in there with the sb2.....its worth it when it works......if only for when your non-techie mates come round and go "WOW!!!"

Steven Moore
2005-05-18, 02:47
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
I wouldn't ebay it I would send it back.
Before you do.
Have you contacted tech support? They may be able to resolve some of
the issues. Some could be related to your particular setup or os.
Apart from a few minor niggles, since corrected, my sb1 has been
performing great.

Steven Moore
On May 18, 2005, at 10:13 AM, oiler1fan wrote:

>
> I've had my SB2 a total of 10 days, and the user acceptance factor is
> declining fast. I just want to play my music, not spend hours
> troubleshooting a device I paid $300 for that should plug and play. I
> am not a software developer and have no intentions of becoming one. I
> can't see playlists, some artists don't show up, I have albums that
> are
> "empty" and more. If I can't get it sorted quick its gone to EBay,
> and
> the CD player gets resurrected from the garage. Suggested fixes
> including wiping cache, rescan, reloadng software etc have all been
> unsuccessful so far.
>
> XP SP2 with iTunes 4.8 and SlimServer 6.0.2 & 6.0.3
> :-(
>
>
> --
> oiler1fan
>

dazzlevw
2005-05-18, 03:44
Well I seem to have fixed the problem albeit in a less than ideal fashion....

i added to my music folder in groups (artists beginning with A, then b etc..) did a wipe cache the first time and then a straight rescan after each add. Slimserver then picks up all my music....

Is this a known bug? I'd try doing a wipe cache again now but I don't want to lose everything that it has just taken me half an hour to do!!!

However....the slimp3 lives again.....just in time...i was getting withdrawl from the ABS bluescast on internet radio!!

oiler1fan
2005-05-19, 04:53
Fixed most of the problems by getting SlimServer to look at the correct library. I had three libraries;
c:\my documents\my music\itunes
c:\(user name)\my documents\my music\itunes
d:\my music\itunes

I have iTunes installed on the c drive, the music files on the d drive. iTunes was updating both libraries on the c drive - but SlimServer ws looking at an old library on the d drive.

Problem now is that artists like Michael Bublé, Beyoncé, Sinéad O'Conner with the é character in their name show up multiple times in the libary or in the wrong place as well.

A little happier today.........

max.spicer
2005-05-19, 05:08
Problem now is that artists like Michael Bublé, Beyoncé, Sinéad O'Conner with the é character in their name show up multiple times in the libary or in the wrong place as well.
Just delete anything in your collection by Michael Bublé - this will solve many problems at the same time! A similar approach should be applied to anything by Rolf Harris. :-)

Max

oiler1fan
2005-05-21, 23:47
Square brackets [ ] that are in some song titles are generating multiple listings in SlimServer. Correction to round brackets ( ) fixes the problem.

If you're not living on the edge. you're taking up too much space :-)

oiler1fan
2005-05-27, 22:56
Waiting on fix for bug 1475 for SlimServer to "ignore unchecked songs" in iTunes. Now I have to endure playback of both WAV and AAC files in my library with no way to select between them. A smart playlist is not the solution..... ;-)

kdf
2005-05-28, 01:47
the current fix in the 6.1 nightlies should properly disable tracks. You just
can't re-enable them once it has gone through marking them as disabled.

-kdf