PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 1 Can't Find Slimserver

Mitch G
2005-05-11, 22:21
Up until today, my Squeezebox 1 was working fine with Slimserver 6.x.
However, today, I had to replace the Ethernet adapter on the computer hosting my Slimserver software.
At that point, my SB couldn't find the server.
So, I updated to the latest official server software (as of May 11) but I still have the same problem.
I checked my server's firewall settings and they are all fine.
In fact, Softsqueeze 2.0x on a laptop that is on the same network as the SB works fine.

Specifically, this is what is happening on the SB:

I plug the SB in.
It starts up.
I have it get it's IP address automatically and it does.
Then it looks for a slimserver and can't find one (although as stated above, softsqueeze is able to find fine).
So, I enter the slimserver's IP address manually.
The SB then says the setup is complete.
So, I try navigating to play music, but the SB then goes blank.
I press the right button again and get an error that the connection with the slimserver has been lost.

I also tested with slimserver 6.0.2 on the laptop from which softsqueeze works. Nothing.
So, I tried slimserver 5.4.1 on the laptop and still my SB couldn't find the server.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Mitch

mherger
2005-05-11, 23:06
[..]
> I plug the SB in.
> It starts up.
> I have it get it's IP address automatically and it does.
> Then it looks for a slimserver and can't find one (although as stated
> above, softsqueeze is able to find fine).
> So, I enter the slimserver's IP address manually.
> The SB then says the setup is complete.
> So, I try navigating to play music, but the SB then goes blank.

When exactly does it go blank? Does it display the main menu ("Now
playing", "Browse..." etc.)?

> I press the right button again and get an error that the connection
> with the slimserver has been lost.

Are you still able to reach the server's web interface? If it has crashed,
could you give us the last few lines of slimserver.log?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Mark Bennett
2005-05-12, 00:07
On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 22:21 -0700, Mitch G wrote:
> Up until today, my Squeezebox 1 was working fine with Slimserver 6.x.
> However, today, I had to replace the Ethernet adapter on the computer
> hosting my Slimserver software.

Stupid question - you don't have an access point with a MAC filter
in the way do you.....

--
"The biggest problem encountered while trying to design a system that
was completely foolproof, was, that people tended to underestimate the
ingenuity of complete fools." (Douglas Adams)

Mitch G
2005-05-12, 09:47
In reply to the questions:

It goes blank after it says network setup is complete (after I enter manually the server's IP addr). It doesn't go to Now Playing or Select Music or anything like that. It just goes blank. Then I hit the right arrow again, say, and I get the message that there's a problem talking to the server.

Yes, I'm able to access the server's web interface remotely (from the forementioned laptop). It indicates that it cannot find a player (unless I'm running softsqueeze somewhere - then it sees the softsqueeze).

There is a router on which I have MAC filtering setup in terms of doling out IP addresses. It's setup to allow the SB in and this is shown by the fact that it gets an IP address from the router.

Mitch

Masterbaron
2005-05-12, 13:12
You may find that your computer's name has been changed if you are using a MAC with Tiger. Mannually go through the setup and use the down arrow when the SB sets the IP address - if you see another host name select it and you should see "Now Playing".

Mitch G
2005-05-13, 08:21
You may find that your computer's name has been changed if you are using a MAC with Tiger. Mannually go through the setup and use the down arrow when the SB sets the IP address - if you see another host name select it and you should see "Now Playing".

It's a PC, but tried this anyway and down arrow didn't display anything. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Mitch

Mitch G
2005-05-13, 09:59
Here's a bit of data: It appears to be a problem when slimserver is running on my XP machines. I loaded Slimserver 6.0.x on my Win2000 machine and the SB found it there.

Was there a recent XP update that may have introduced a new filter or something? Right now I have the firewall setup to allow the SB traffic.

Mitch

Mitch G
2005-05-13, 10:17
OK. I've narrowed it down to my Norton Antivirus software's Internet Worm Protection stuff. (There was a LiveUpdate for my Norton the night before things stopped working, so I guess this makes sense.)

Anyway, I had it configured in the past to allow the SB traffic in, but for some reason it's not working anymore. So, I'll futz around with it to figure out the right setup parameters, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Mitch

Mitch G
2005-05-13, 12:09
It works now.
I have a feeling that the Norton update I received a couple of days ago had a bug in it since I downloaded the latest update which looks like it included software updates (not just definition updates) and things started to work.
Although, in all fairness, I also reset the configuration for the Worm detection software to let SB through. So, that may have done it.

Anyway, thanks for the support everyone.
Now, it's time to head over to the developer's forum to figure out how to develop a plug-in I have in mind.

Thanks again,

Mitch

glove99
2005-05-17, 05:21
A very similar problem happened to me over the weekend. Everything was working fine Sunday morning but I could no longer connect that evening. Only thing that I knew happened is a clueless friend of mine tried to "get on the Internet" by running my AT&T Network Client. That night I noticed my AGN Network Adapter was in the tasktray trying to connect.

I tried uninstalling antivirus, per your post, but it did not help. Thats when I finally noticed that the Network Firewall Service was enabled for my LAN adapter. I don't know how/when that happened but once I disabled it, everything was fine.

Anyways, figured I would share my experience.

upinya
2005-11-22, 06:43
Although, in all fairness, I also reset the configuration for the Worm detection software to let SB through. So, that may have done it.

Do remember explicitly what you did to allow the traffic through? I have been having issues connecting, after setting in the Program Control screen to permit both slim and Slimserver, I can get in from the internet unless that whole feature is turned off. I would like the NAV worm blocking to run, just to allow slim to run as well. Any ideas?