PDA

View Full Version : New music library folders not found

shawn777
2005-05-11, 16:50
When I create new folders in my music library location (D:\) the slimserver or squeezebox does not find them.

D:\ is an entire HD and it's getting as full as I want but has 11GB free. I have created several test folders with various names, some empty, some with mp3s. I've upgraded from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2. I've rescaned, rebooted, and tried repetedly to find those folders or their contents by Browse Music Folder and Searching for specific titles. Nothing works; not with slimserver or the squeezebox... the folders are just not there.

A funny twist... I put an MP3 file in an existing empty folder that's been there since day 1 and the file was found no problem.

Running win xp pro sp2, slimserver as a service

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy!

Thanks!

mwgilbert
2005-05-11, 17:59
I have a similar problem, and have opened a bug with the Slim Devices support people, who have been very helpful.

You can see it at http://bugs.slimdevices.com/
Search for bug #1507

As a result of seeing your post, I added to the report:

------
This was from a very recent forum post:

"When I create new folders in my music library location (D:\) the slimserver or squeezebox does not find them. A funny twist... I put an MP3 file in an existing empty folder that's been there since day 1 and the file was found no problem."

Everytime I add music, I add an album, which is adding a new subfolder. The difference between rescan and wipe cache may be that rescan is looking for new files in an existing tree structure, but wipe cache recreates the structure.
------

Check out the bug tracking to see if they come up with something.

bcholden
2005-05-11, 18:05
I have the same identical problem. Could never get tech support to answer the phone.

bcholden
2005-05-11, 18:12
I have used the "Server settings" - Rescan also and it does not work either.

shawn777
2005-05-12, 05:53
Wipe Cache (Server Settings -> Performance -> Wipe Cache) does the trick.

shawn777
2005-05-13, 00:17
Here is the additional info I added to the bug report just now:
I believe this behavior occurs on large (very large?) libraries that have a high number of folders in the root music library folder. My root library was d:\ and contained 753 folder. My entire library contains 8175 folders and >15,000 files. When I reorganized to make my music library folder D:\My Music and created 27 subfolders (123, A,B,C...Z) I no longer have this problem. Now adding folders/files to the root library folder or subfolders appear in slimserver and squeezebox immediately without even doing a rescan.

Another advantage of a filing structure like this is browsing is MUCH faster.