PDA

View Full Version : Music server - Windows or Linux?

hunta
2005-05-10, 02:39
I've just taken delivery of my SB2 and I'm really pleased with it. Now I want to build a basic machine (I've got a decent spec spare PC lying around) with a wireless connection to shut in a cupboard and leave running as the music server.

I've not really done this sort of thing before, so I'd appreciate some advice. The main decision is whether to install Windows XP or Linux. On the one hand I'll need to buy a licence for XP, and on the other I've never used Linux before and I understand wireless connections can be tricky under Linux, so it might be wise to buy a wireless bridge to connect it to. Then there's the question of security - will I need to buy anti-virus and firewall software, or is there some other way to secure it? As you can tell, I'm hoping to spend as little as possible on this.

Apologies for the simplistic questions, and many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Andrew

street_samurai
2005-05-10, 10:01
My $0.02:

I think it really depends on how much of a learning experience you want out of the installation and whether you want to use that machine to serve anything else.

Linux is great on many levels but does require a deeper understanding about whats going on inside your system. Once you've got it setup and running smoothly... its a dream. But the setup can be tricky. If you go this route, I highly recommend finding a Linux distro with a very good installer. Linux has a very low overhead so your system requirements will be lower than for Windows thus you could easily set the same machine up to be a web, email, and/or ftp server without worrying about performance (assuming the machine is reasonably powerful). Do your homework on wireless cards before you buy one since several brands don't work in Linux. Firewall and Antivirus software are free for linux and typically come bundled with any distro you're likely to download.

Windows is a bloated, expensive, annoying operating system but it does do several things fairly well... plus XP seems fairly stable on most machines I've used it on. There is an initial cost but the learning curve will be shallow and support for wireless is obviously very good. Most wireless cards support older versions of windows also, so if you have an old copy of 2000 kicking around then this would probably serve your purposes. (Grisoft's AVG Free edition is a great free anti-virus program and ZoneAlarm's free Firewall is equally impressive).

I guess my recommendation would be to go with Windows unless you have a need or a desire to learn Linux.

ss.

p.s. anti-virus probably isn't that important on the machine unless you are using it for something other than a server for music since it sounds like the machine doesn't even need to connect to the internet (just your LAN) (assuming you have decent virus protection on your other LAN PCs).

mherger
2005-05-10, 10:15
> p.s. anti-virus probably isn't that important on the machine unless you

Windows without antivirus is asking for troubles.

But this is rather off-topic.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

nemstter
2005-05-10, 12:43
if you have some time try gentoo.org, they have really really good
manuals to setup a linux pc. if you plan to use a spare pc just as
music/storage server then i'd invest some time in trying linux.
advantage: if it runs, it runs! means, if you manage to get a stable
setup it basically runs till some of your hw is defect.
(alternatively use redhat or debiab. but if you use gentoo you'll also
learn alot usefull things ;) )

and for the wireless, buy an access port, linksys wrt54g is cheap and
good + you get updates. so you can connect the server to the ap and
dont have to bother with the wlan setup.

for me, i use gentoo, samba and slimserver 6.+
so i can easily drop my files from my windows workstation onto my
archive on the server.

hf
y

h> I've just taken delivery of my SB2 and I'm really pleased with it. Now I
h> want to build a basic machine (I've got a decent spec spare PC lying
h> around) with a wireless connection to shut in a cupboard and leave
h> running as the music server.

h> I've not really done this sort of thing before, so I'd appreciate some
h> advice. The main decision is whether to install Windows XP or Linux. On
h> the one hand I'll need to buy a licence for XP, and on the other I've
h> never used Linux before and I understand wireless connections can be
h> tricky under Linux, so it might be wise to buy a wireless bridge to
h> connect it to. Then there's the question of security - will I need to
h> buy anti-virus and firewall software, or is there some other way to
h> secure it? As you can tell, I'm hoping to spend as little as possible
h> on this.

h> Apologies for the simplistic questions, and many thanks for your help.

h> Regards,

h> Andrew

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen
lists (AT) artcore (DOT) ch
mailto:lists (AT) artcore (DOT) ch

RiccardoR
2005-05-10, 13:53
I agree with street samurai and for a basic machine I have bought an HP e-PC on eBay. It's running Windows 2000 (I have only changed the HD) and all for the cost of 180 euro. The server run exclusively the Slimserver and it is very fast and silent (!!!).
Riccardo