PDA

View Full Version : SB2 Geekport

cliveb
2005-05-10, 01:40
From other threads, I've learned that the SB2 doesn't have a geekport connector like the SB1, and the plan is to use the headphone socket instead (but the firmware isn't yet implemented).

However, browsing some photos I came across http://www.slimdevices.com/photos/inside_squeezebox2/7.jpg, which labels one of the chips "Geekport switch", and which clearly has several of its pins floating, but connected to PCB holes that could easily be wired up. My question is: what is the purpose of this "Geekport switch", and is there any documentation about it? (I'm specifically interested in obtaining some kind of DC voltage that is present only when the SB2 is switched on, to be used to operate a power relay for my power amps).

seanadams
2005-05-10, 10:13
It's a CMOS switch 74HC4066 - sort of like a "low current solid state
relay". Allows the headphone function to be changed to data port by
disabling the headphone amp and passing bidirectional data signals
through. None of its pins are floating.

> However, browsing some photos I came across
> http://www.slimdevices.com/photos/inside_squeezebox2/7.jpg, which
> labels one of the chips "Geekport switch", and which clearly has
> several of its pins floating, but connected to PCB holes that could
> easily be wired up. My question is: what is the purpose of this
> "Geekport switch", and is there any documentation about it? (I'm
> specifically interested in obtaining some kind of DC voltage that is
> present only when the SB2 is switched on, to be used to operate a
> power
> relay for my power amps).
>

cliveb
2005-05-11, 00:57
It's a CMOS switch 74HC4066 - sort of like a "low current solid state relay". Allows the headphone function to be changed to data port by disabling the headphone amp and passing bidirectional data signals through. None of its pins are floating.
Thanks for the clarification. I have obviously misinterpreted what I see in the picture. Presumably the PCB is double-sided and the apparently unconnected pins are connected on the bottom side (or maybe the traces on the top side go underneath the chip as well?)