Missing Directories and Files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I'm missing plenty of music since I upgraded to SlimServer 6.

I have been running diverse versions up to 5.4.1 which was stable and fine. On the last weekend I changed to 6.03 then the nightly of 6.0, the nightly of 6.1 and today to the latest nightly.

None of the version 6 servers shows files or directories containing accented characters like the è in Bohème or umlauts like in Ärger. Directories containing only such a file / directory are shown empty.

To avoid misunderstandings, the names do not show up in the browser, nor are they found as result of a rescan (with or without wiping). The whole lot of directories and files has been in use for some time without any problems with 5.4.1.

I changed the LC_CTYPE from the default de_DE@euro to UTF-8 and iso-8859-1. (I created the test directories and file directly on the linux prompt to avoid any misunderstanding regarding e.g. Samba etc.; I also included a numbered dummy file to avoid any influence of the browser cache.) None helped. Is the database (as I learned UTF-8 encoded) limited to names with 8 bit characters? The tags containing upper characters are fine.

I'm very willing to do some test with debugging, which flag will show any relevant data? Where do I find the log-file?

But I fear strongly from what I've found in the forum: It's not a bug, it's a feature.

In the past with older versions there were similar problems, but they were erased with time.

Best regards

Wolfgang

Setup:
    SlimServer 6.1 05-05-09 / Bagpuss skin
    SuSE Linux 8.2 pro

• quick_snack
    • Apr 2005

Do the file exist on a mounted windows partition? I had to include the utf-8 option. After that all went fine except for albums wich shared the same name. But that was easy to adjust within slimserver itself.

Comment

• kdf
      NOT a Slim Devices Employee
      • Apr 2005

Quoting slimp (AT) Platen-at-home (DOT) de:

> But I fear strongly from what I've found in the forum: It's not a bug, it's a
      > feature.

feature is a mis-interpretation by impatient victims of the bugs. There are a
      number of files bugs regarding accented/diacritical/cyrillic/japanese character
      support. All of these should be addressed in time, but a lot of work is
      directed elsewhere at this time, on promised features like SqueezeNetwork.

As for debugging, I'm afraid I can't help much with that, since I don't really
      grasp much of the unicode stuff in the server. If you could look at some of
      the bug reports on http://bugs.slimdevices.com and see if your is similar, you
      can add your comments and maybe attach a sample song. If nothing fits, feel
      free to file a new bug report and attach the song there.

You may also find it useful to try other skins. The bagpuss skin isn't used
      much, and I can't say for sure if it has been fully upgraded with the current
      level of support of, say default.

-kdf

Comment

Thanks, Kevin (right?),

> feature is a mis-interpretation by impatient victims of the bugs.....

I checked the forums and the bug reports before. The reference "feature" was the result of someone elses question on such a (this?) problem. I think he got the reply that it is a feature linked to UTF-8 with no need of any bug report.

I do not want to go on rambling. It's strongly disappointing to upgrade, gain some new, tremendous, and real features and lose some necessary ones.

I'm willing to do whatever necessary as I'm not sticking to any character set.

Is there any way how to change automatically all names (directories and files) to UTF-8? This'd be a simple way to get out of the dilemma not to know which files are missing. (And in future use only UTF-8).

> You may also find it useful to try other skins.....

I've tried other skins (e.g. default). This does not change anything.

Wolfgang

Comment

Re: Missing Directories and Files

> Do the file exist on a mounted windows partition? I had to include the
          utf-8 option. After that all went fine except for albums wich shared
          the same name. But that was easy to adjust within slimserver itself.

I do not really get your message.

All tests have been done on the terminal under linux, not windows. The files are accessible under linux and within the network via samba. The partition is formatted with reiserfs (only to be able to eventually exchange the drive to some windows PC I occasionally use vfat, but not here).

I've also tried to use a reiserfs partition for the music directory to test the naming problem. Even with a UTF-8 character set the names (containing special charcters) are not found.

Wolfgang

Comment

Working...