PDA

View Full Version : Search options

cliveb
2005-05-07, 07:57
In Server Settings | Behavior, there is an option entitled "Search Within Words" that defines whether the letters you enter are found anywhere, or only at the beginning of words. Is there any way to set up SlimServer so that the letters entered match only the beginning of the first word?

For example, suppose I search for "RO", I want it to find "Rodgers, Paul" and "Roxy Music", but don't want it to find "Fripp, Robert" or "Waters, Roger".

JJZolx
2005-05-07, 08:53
In Server Settings | Behavior, there is an option entitled "Search Within Words" that defines whether the letters you enter are found anywhere, or only at the beginning of words. Is there any way to set up SlimServer so that the letters entered match only the beginning of the first word?

For example, suppose I search for "RO", I want it to find "Rodgers, Paul" and "Roxy Music", but don't want it to find "Fripp, Robert" or "Waters, Roger".

I don't think there's such an option, but unless you're actually entering artists using the convention "LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME" then it wouldn't work anyway. If you _are_ doing that, then it's probably unusual enough that there hasn't been much, if any, demand for such behavior.

This is reminiscient of a problem I sometimes run into when I file my (physical) CDs in my shelves. I keep them in alphabetical order, by last name if they're individuals (Roger Waters, Stan Getz), but by whole name for groups. But then you run into individuals using stage or ficticious names: Keb'Mo' (Kevin Moore), Dr. John (Mac Rebenac), Popa Chubby (Ted Horowitz). I tend to file these by the entire name, as if they were a group. But trying to remember whether Dr. John is under "D" or "J" isn't always the easiest thing when searching for a CD. If I were using SlimServer and searching for Dr. John, I wouldn't _want_ to have to remember whether he was stored under the D's or the R's.
________
drug test (http://drugtestingkit.org)

cliveb
2005-05-08, 00:31
I don't think there's such an option, but unless you're actually entering artists using the convention "LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME" then it wouldn't work anyway. If you _are_ doing that, then it's probably unusual enough that there hasn't been much, if any, demand for such behavior.
As it happens, that *is* the way I have my files named & tagged. I've always stored my LPs and CDs that way, so it seemed natural to carry it over into computer-stored stuff. Changing now after 35 years would be too much of a shock to the system.

But thanks for confirming that I'm seeking a non-existent option. Perhaps I should learn Perl and try to add it for myself.