PDA

View Full Version : Running SlimServer alongside iTunes?

dirkd
2005-05-07, 04:17
I have a HTPC in my bedroom running iTunes. I use NetRemote as a PDA remote to select tracks and play them. NetRemote uses MediaBridge software that allows it to communicate with iTunes.

I want to purchase a ROKU SoundBridge for the living room to stream files for the HTPC in my bedroom. Ideally I could have simply used the SB with Itunes and streamed straight from there but for some reason the SB doesn't support Apple Lossless format which all my songs are encoded in. SB does support Apple Lossless however through SlimServer.

Is it possible for me to run both at the same time? ie, Itunes + NetRemote & SlimServer + SoundBridge?

kdf
2005-05-07, 04:58
sorry,
roku hardware is not supported through this for, nor is its use with slimserver
or any interactions with other software with roku hardware connected.

dirkd
2005-05-07, 05:05
eh, the roku documentation lists it works with slim server? are you saying it doesn't?

dirkd
2005-05-07, 05:16
Does the SqueezeBox support Apple Lossless then?

kdf
2005-05-07, 05:17
Quoting dirkd <dirkd.1onuun (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> eh, the roku documentation lists it works with slim server? are you
> saying it doesn't?
>
I'm saying that you will have to inquire with roku forums. take a look at
www.slimdevices.com; why go to a competitor website and ask about someone
else's hardware, expecting them to know how other hardware will interract?
using roku with slimserver is not supported by slimdevices, only by roku.

-kdf

kdf
2005-05-07, 05:23
Quoting dirkd <dirkd.1onvbc (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Does the SqueezeBox support Apple Lossless then?

non-DRM, yes. For Squeezebox, it would be converted to WAV by the server and
for Squeezebox2 it is converted to FLAC to save bandwidth. All are lossless,
so you have no loss of audio quality.

Files purchased from iTunes music store are protected by DRM, so they will not
work.

-kdf

Michel Fombellida
2005-05-07, 05:26
Ideally I could have simply used the SB with Itunes and streamed straight from there but for some reason the SB doesn't support Apple Lossless format which all my songs are encoded in. SB does support Apple Lossless however through SlimServer.

The Squeezebox works only with Slimserver, you cannot use the SB directly with iTunes without Slimserver. Slimserver will transcode all your Apple Lossless (if they were created from orginal CD's) and send them to the SB. It works very well, I did it for a while (I ripped all my CD's in Apple Lossless) before converting my whole library to FLAC.

Michel

dirkd
2005-05-07, 05:40
Right ok, I looks as though I'm best off with a SqueezeBox rather than a SoundBridge then.

I don't see why Slim Server shouldnt be able to run along side itunes serving music to the SqueezeBox in the living room, while iTunes is playing directly on the HTPC, it's not as if they are using the same output Itunes > Audio Out, Slim Server > Wifi?

William
2005-05-07, 08:36
...I don't see why Slim Server shouldnt be able to run along side itunes serving music to the SqueezeBox in the living room, while iTunes is playing directly on the HTPC, it's not as if they are using the same output Itunes > Audio Out, Slim Server > Wifi?
It works on my system. I always have iTunes playing with Squeeze Box simultaneously playing something else from the iTunes music library.

relen
2005-05-08, 02:03
sorry,
roku hardware is not supported through this for, nor is its use with slimserver
or any interactions with other software with roku hardware connected.

The Roku Soundbridge, when used with SlimServer, essentially emulates a text-based Squeezebox 1. This was nice in its day of course, but it is severely outdated now.

Whatever the SoundBridge is capable of with iTunes etc, when using it with SlimServer, its functionality is a long way behind what the Squeezebox 2 offers - speaking as the owner of both.

You can run SS 5.4.1 with a SoundBridge, and it will work with SS 6.x (which thinks it's an SB1) but in the latter case never, ever try 'upgrading' its firmware from the SS as it will stop working with SS (and require an 'upgrade' from a 5.4.1 server to fix it).

There is a document you can download from Roku's site about using a SoundBridge with SS but it stops at SS 5.x, and beyond that document they will not tell you much that's useful.

Roku say that they are not intending to support SlimServer 6. This means that Roku/SlimServer interactivity is essentially an evolutionary dead-end. The products are also essentially diverging, with Roku getting closer to Microsoft.

You may have to do some transcoding, but I would stay with Slim Devices if I were you.

--Richard E

conger
2005-05-08, 04:36
I have a SoundBridge M1000 (2.15) that I use (both together) Itunes for streaming mp3's and Slimserver 6.0.3 with AlienBBC for streaming BBC radio. It works perfectly. (PC with XP SP2.)

My understanding of the SB is that there will be native Apple Lossless decoding very soon with Roku community provided Cascade "Plug-in's" to do this.