PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver resource hog?

Jer00n
2005-05-07, 00:43
Hi there,

I am running the latest version of slimserver on an XP SP2 Pentium 2.5 Ghz with 1 gig of ram.

I have a music library containing 4438 albums with 28033 songs by 5631 artists.

On startup, the boot screen of Slimserver seems to take forever to go away. I'm talking over 5 minutes here. Eventually it does though.

My memory load however seems to be permanently stuck at 75% when I run Slimserver. I see anywhere from 117356 to 145352 KB of memory dedicated to Slim. Thats a lot.

Stopping the slimserver brings down memory load to 54% immediately.

Is this normal resource use on a windows Xp SP2 machine? Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?

Cheers...

JJZolx
2005-05-07, 01:11
Hi there,

I am running the latest version of slimserver on an XP SP2 Pentium 2.5 Ghz with 1 gig of ram.

I have a music library containing 4438 albums with 28033 songs by 5631 artists.

On startup, the boot screen of Slimserver seems to take forever to go away. I'm talking over 5 minutes here. Eventually it does though.

My memory load however seems to be permanently stuck at 75% when I run Slimserver. I see anywhere from 117356 to 145352 KB of memory dedicated to Slim. Thats a lot.

Stopping the slimserver brings down memory load to 54% immediately.

Is this normal resource use on a windows Xp SP2 machine? Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?

Wow. On my system with about 100 albums ripped so far, and about 1100 tracks, the latest SlimServer 6.0.3 nigthly is using 53 MB. If the SQLite database engine is worth anything then I wouldn't think even 28,000 tracks should push memory usage up by a factor of three. Then again, maybe SQLite doesn't scale very well.

Have you recently done a wipe/rescan? You might try it and see if it has any benefits.

Why aren't you running SlimServer as a service? What kind of load times and memory usage do you see if you do?
________
Aprilia RS125 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Aprilia_RS125)

kdf
2005-05-07, 01:37
when you first start slimserver, ever, it will take some time to scan your music
files. during this time cpu usage will be quite high. after scanning, it
should settle. I'm running on a linux system, 12000 tracks, athlon2k+ w/ 512M
ram and I settle at about 67M and only 3% cpu usage when idle, 7% while
playing.

memory use is high, but this is still 40M less than when i was running version
5.4 of the server, and optmisation is ongoing in the development.

-kdf

Jer00n
2005-05-07, 02:01
Hi guys, thanks for your prompt replies.

I have allowed time for Slimserver to index all my files, the indexing is done now. (No more messages saying it's still indexing).

CPU load is quite allright, nothing wrong there.
The memory load I'm currently seeing is still 166572 KB for slim though.

I have done a search of the fora for "running slimserver as a service", but could not find much info on how to do this in XP. Did I miss a how-to that was posted earlier? If so, could someone give me a pointer? If not, how do I do this?

I am not a programmer, just a user-geek with little knowledge of command line stuff, I hope that doesn't rule me out...

kdf
2005-05-07, 02:30
if you've downloaded the windows installer version, then you should have been
given the option to run as a service when you installed. The only problem with
the service out of the box is if you need to access network mapped drives.
Then you have to set up the service to run as a user. Try searching the forum
for
"windows service mapped drives" and you should find a few threads about it.

-kdf

Jer00n
2005-05-07, 08:07
Okay, it took me some time but I finally came up with this from the install notes; posting it here to make future forum searches for it easier.

To install and run the SlimServer Windows service by hand, follow these instructions:

Open a "cmd" window and type "cd C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server".
Type "slim.exe -install auto" to install the SlimServer software so it will automatically start as a Windows Service the next time you reboot.

You can start or stop the service manually by using "net start slimp3svc" or "net stop slimp3svc" respectively, or by using the Control Panels->Administrative Tools->Services application.

You can uninstall the service by stopping it, then typing "slim.exe -remove"

..I'll post seperately whether running Slim as a service decreased the memory load the way I hope it would.

Off to reboot...

Jer00n
2005-05-07, 10:48
I am running the Slim server as a service now, and am done indexing.

Mem usage is still at 169.912 K

I have checked the FAQ, and made sure I have no recursive playlists in my music folders (actually I have no playlists at all in the music folders).

Does anyone have any more ideas what I could try?

JJZolx
2005-05-07, 11:27

I have checked the FAQ, and made sure I have no recursive playlists in my music folders (actually I have no playlists at all in the music folders).

Nobody has yet addressed whether or not this is excessive memory usage given the size of your library.

How exactly does SQLite operate? Does it keep indexes in memory or something?
________
XV1700A (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XV1700A)

Jack Coates
2005-05-07, 12:50
JJZolx wrote:
> Jer00n Wrote:
>
>>I am running the Slim server as a service now, and am done indexing.
>>
>>Mem usage is still at 169.912 K
>>
>>I have checked the FAQ, and made sure I have no recursive playlists in
>>my music folders (actually I have no playlists at all in the music
>>folders).
>>
>>Does anyone have any more ideas what I could try?
>
>
> Nobody has yet addressed whether or not this is excessive memory usage
> given the size of your library.

restart the server after indexing is done and the memory usage will drop.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

Jer00n
2005-05-07, 12:55
Thanks for your response.

I have restarted the service and the entire PC several times after indexing finished 2 days ago.

I still have the same high memory loads.

Cheers...

dean
2005-05-07, 18:47
On May 7, 2005, at 11:27 AM, JJZolx wrote:
> Nobody has yet addressed whether or not this is excessive memory usage
> given the size of your library.
>
> How exactly does SQLite operate? Does it keep indexes in memory or
> something?
This is way too much memory usage. In the upgrade to 6.0 we moved
from keeping all the library information in memory to using SQLite in
order to avoid this kind of problem.

What kind of files are in your library?
How are they organized?
A recursive shortcut might explain what you are seeing...

Maditude
2005-05-07, 19:46

I can't say if that's a problem specific to SQLite on WinXP but I've got two observations:

1) Dude, you've got 1 GB of RAM, and an operating system with a decent memory manager. You can't possibly be swapping just because one process is eating 170 MB. What does task-manager say is the available memory?

2) Earlier, you mentioned having 28000 songs. That is 8 times as many songs in my collection. My slimserver process (on FreeBSD) is using 34 MB. So proportionately, you're using less RAM per song than I am. [apples to oranges, I know, especially with the different platforms...]

If your winXP box has become annoyingly slow since you started running the slimserver software, I'd suggest building (or buying an old used) box just for running the software. I've seen quite a few posts here about people running the slimserver software on some VERY modest hardware.

Jer00n
2005-05-10, 07:21
Could anyone that runs slimserver on XP SP 2 post here what CPU and Memory loads the slimserver generates, preferable with their library size included in the post?

Cheers.

Craig, James (IT)
2005-05-10, 07:25
I'm not on SP2 but SlimServer 6 uses about 70Mb memory on my machine.
CPU usage is around 5% or less on a 2Ghz P4 unless scanning iTunes when
it's anything up to 100% usage.
I have over 9,000 tracks in my library and some very large playlists.

James

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Jer00n
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 10:21 AM
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Re: Slimserver resource hog?

Could anyone that runs slimserver on XP SP 2 post here what CPU and
Memory loads the slimserver generates, preferable with their library
size included in the post?

Cheers.

--
Jer00n

DJMUK
2005-05-10, 08:54
Could anyone that runs slimserver on XP SP 2 post here what CPU and Memory loads the slimserver generates, preferable with their library size included in the post?

Cheers.

I'm running a P4 2.8Ghz with 1GB RAM and 2 x 400GB HDD running WinXP Pro SP2. My library is 19,000+ tracks (957 Albums / 1946 Artists) all single track FLAC.

When playing an album Task Manager shows the following:

SlimServer.EXE - MEM: 51,736 CPU: On 0 but goes to 2 or 3 about every 5 - 10seconds for a second or two.

Slim.EXE - MEM: 19,252 CPU: 0 But I think this is the web interface.

FLAC.EXE - MEM: 1,120 CPU: On 0 but goes to 5 or 6 every few seconds for a second. Goes to 18 for a second or two on track change.

I hope this helps.

David

Michel Fombellida
2005-05-10, 09:28
Cheers.

Running XP SP2, 2.8Ghz Processor, 1GB RAM,
Library: 222 albums, 2922 songs, all in FLAC (streaming FLAC to SB2).

Slim.exe: 56 MB, CPU between 0 and 2%

when the slimserver GUI is started
Slimserver.exe: 13MB

Michel

JJZolx
2005-05-10, 22:38
I think you have a pretty fair data set there to go on - looks like 50-70MB is about the expected memory footprint on a Windows XP system. Hard to say if it's even affected by the size of the library. Could be, but it's probably not significant. I'd guess loaded plugins may be a bigger factor.

Which version exactly are you running? You might want to move up to the latest 6.0.3 trunk (nightly) releases. There seem to be quite a few bugs being fixed on a daily basis in 6.0.

Given that something seems to be majorly messed up in your system, a complete reinstallation of the software, followed by a rescan may be a good idea.

Delete the entire SlimServer installation directory, reinstall the server, go through the server configuration settings, then start scanning you music library. Leave "Start Automatically" checked in the Automatic Startup screen of the installation program. This installs SlimServer as a service.
________
the volcano vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/volcano-vaporizer)

Bart
2005-05-11, 10:01
I am running an Athlon XP 3200 with 1GB RAM and a clean install
of WinXP Pro SP2. My library is 18,000+ tracks, 99% of them high bitrate MP3s
I run Slimserver from the command line, using ActiveState Perl
When playing a track Task Manager shows the following:
perl.exe - MEM: 98,890 CPU: 0
(I am using the MusicMagicMixer integration and MusicMagicMixer.exe shows MEM: 2,800 CPU: 0)

(If I try to run Slimserver.exe it puts the CPU up to 100% - I don't know whether this will eventually go down to something sensible because I have given up and just run it from the command line for now...)

Jer00n
2005-05-12, 00:09
Thanks tot everybody for providing the data.
Indeed, it looks like 50-70MB is about the expected memory footprint for Slim on a Windows XP system.

Since my slimserver was consistently at 2-3 times that level and reinstalling slim didn't help I have decided it must be time for a format c: and reinstall of XP.

Guess what; I am now running on a clean install of XP and Slim, running slim as a service and I see a steady load of....

60MB!

Yay. Thank you all for providing the info. I am a happy man now. Slimserver permanently opened, case closed ;)

Cheers