PDA

View Full Version : SoftSqueeze playback problems

max.spicer
2005-05-05, 14:24
When I play tracks on SoftSqueeze, they occasionally stop during playback and only a continuous non-music noise is output. It's hard to describe - it's like a mechanical noise that is constant. Once started, this noise continues until I click fast forward to play the next track or restart the current track. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the server when this happens - the web interface responds normally. If I replay the problem track, it will play absolutely fine so this doesn't appear to be a problem with my music files.

I'm using SoftSqueeze 2.0b8, but it happened with b6 and the build I used before that (and probably others before then). I run SlimServer on a Debian Linux machine that is connected to my pc via a 3com 11g wireless router. All my music is in FLAC format and is mostly ripped with EAC.

This error has just happened but there is nothing in the Console. That said, I don't currently have any of the (new?) debug options ticked. If people (Richard?) tell me what options to enable, I'll gladly enable them and provide an update next time it happens.

I don't know if this happens with a real SqueezeBox, but my SB2 arrives tomorrow (I'm sorry, I still haven't said that enough!) so I'll watch out for it.

rtitmuss
2005-06-06, 12:46
max.spicer wrote:

>When I play tracks on SoftSqueeze, they occasionally stop during
>playback and only a continuous non-music noise is output. It's hard to
>describe - it's like a mechanical noise that is constant. Once started,
>this noise continues until I click fast forward to play the next track
>or restart the current track.
>
Max,

This is a new one, what version of Java are you using?

Regards,
Richard

max.spicer
2005-06-07, 00:41
max.spicer wrote:

>When I play tracks on SoftSqueeze, they occasionally stop during
>playback and only a continuous non-music noise is output. It's hard to
>describe - it's like a mechanical noise that is constant. [This] noise
>continues until I click fast forward to play the next track
>or restart the current track.
>
Max,

This is a new one, what version of Java are you using?

Regards,
Richard
I will get the exact version number for you tomorrow, but it's basically the latest Java 1.5 available, running on Windows XPSP2. I've had these problems since I first started using SoftSqueeze, which would have been on one of the last 2.0 betas. It's hard to say for definite that the problem still persists as I use SoftSqueeze a lot less now that I have an SB2. If you tell me what debug options you'd like, I'll gladly leave them running and send them to you if it happens again.

Max