PDA

View Full Version : Terastation question

Skoff, Robert P.
2005-05-05, 10:36
"> The Terastation has abysmal throughput."

What does "abysmal throughput" mean? I'm looking for a storage solution
for a lot of FLAC files and the 1 TB Terastation seemed promising. (My
limited understanding of the Terastation RAID technology was that it
allowed internal back-up if one of the disk drives fails.)

Is there any reason to think that a Terastation couldn't be used without
adversely affecting the audio?

If the Terastation is no good, I'd really appreciate suggestions for
alternatives.

Thanks!

earthbased
2005-05-11, 07:57
"> The Terastation has abysmal throughput."

What does "abysmal throughput" mean? I'm looking for a storage solution
for a lot of FLAC files and the 1 TB Terastation seemed promising. (My
limited understanding of the Terastation RAID technology was that it
allowed internal back-up if one of the disk drives fails.)

Is there any reason to think that a Terastation couldn't be used without
adversely affecting the audio?

If the Terastation is no good, I'd really appreciate suggestions for
alternatives.

Thanks!

Here is what I heard;

>Dan,

We do know about the transfer rates..and hopefully in future versions they will be improved.

Regards,

Chris Hall
Technical Support Engineer & MIS
Buffalo Technology USA
www.buffalotech.com<

I decided to build a Kuro Box with a Seagate 400GB drive that runs Slim Server. Only uses 17W of power. I also intend to build a second Kuro Box to sync to for backup purposes and going mobile.

Dan

Fabrice Rossi
2005-05-12, 00:50
earthbased a écrit :
> I decided to build a Kuro Box with a Seagate 400GB drive that runs Slim
> Server. Only uses 17W of power. I also intend to build a second Kuro
> Box to sync to for backup purposes and going mobile.
>
> Dan

Do you have an idea of the load induced by slimserver? I'm quite
interested by the Kuro Box, but I was wondering which one to choose
between the standard one and the HG.

Fabrice

lostboy
2005-05-12, 03:30
This link http://cspry.co.uk/computing/TeraStation.html suggests that the basic rate for the Terastation is approx 4.5 MByte/Sec (going in), possibly upto to 8 MByte/Sec. So lets assume that the data-out speed is the same as data-in for the Terastation (and it might well be faster). I'm not sure exactly of the bandwidth a FLAC stream would need, but a raw PCM stream from a CD requires 0.17 MByte/sec (1.35 Mbit/sec). So unless If I've got my calcs badly wrong or Mr Spry really means Mbit/sec rather than MByte/sec, then the Terastation should be more than capable of supporting a number of SB streams. I suspect transferring large files will take a long time, but if you're proposing to rip straight into your Terastation I doubt you'll notice a problem.

Ultimately this is an academic exercise for me as I'm not intending to buy a terastation, so 'caveat emptor'.

Chris

mander
2005-05-26, 15:52
Seems to me that it is false advertising. Do you know how slow this network port is? Even having Jumbo Frame support is a waste of engineering resources. Please improve the transfer speed on the box.

Matthew

earthbased
2005-05-31, 19:53
earthbased a écrit :
> I decided to build a Kuro Box with a Seagate 400GB drive that runs Slim
> Server. Only uses 17W of power. I also intend to build a second Kuro
> Box to sync to for backup purposes and going mobile.
>
> Dan

Do you have an idea of the load induced by slimserver? I'm quite
interested by the Kuro Box, but I was wondering which one to choose
between the standard one and the HG.

Fabrice

I bought the HG and SlimServer load is not much so you could probably get by with the non-HG buts who knows what the future SlimServer will require...

Odi
2005-07-13, 17:04
I bought a TeraStation. Until I upgraded to the latest 1.08 firmware (came out June 23, 2005), I was dissapointed with the speed. However, as you shall see below, I am now quite satisfied with the speed after the firmware upgrade.

Using a RAID 5 configuration, I now get 22 MB / second (168 mbps) read/download speeds, and 11 MB / second (88 mbps) write speeds, when simply copy/pasting a bunch of small and large files to/from the TeraStation to my P4 2.4ghz HTPC.

My networking is set up as follows: Gigabit ethernet Intel Pro/1000MT card in the PC, jumbo frames enabled (9K), category 6 ethernet cable to an SMC 8-port gigabit router with jumbo frames support, and another category 6 cable to the TeraStation. The TeraStation is a 1TB model with Raid5 enabled and jumbo frames set to 7.4K size. If I recall correctly by heart, without Jumbo frames, I got about 104 mbps read (download) on my gigabit network, and 60 mbps write/upload speed.

I have nothing but good things to say about it. From the cool status emails I get on a daily basis, to the neat built-in backup jobs I can set up (I plugged in an external USB 2.0 drive into one of the TeraStation's 4 USB ports, and it backs up my already RAID-5 protected critical data every wednesday night to that hard drive. Neat.) and the great web-based user interface and configuration options.

My Mac Mini is happy with the TeraStation too (connect using SMB not AFP... otherwise your 4GB+ files will not show).

seanadams
2005-07-13, 18:38
I'm really glad to hear they've fixe dhte performance problems.

I bought one a couple months ago and returned it after being just blown away by its slowness. Will go out and give it another try I suppose.

ackcheng
2005-07-16, 09:10
I am also interested in using the Terastation too. Can you share with us how to load the slim server on to the Terastation?