PDA

View Full Version : Can Slim Server use a networked drive and how?

William
2005-05-05, 09:25
I have 3 computers and a Squeeze Box networked. The computers are named MAIN (for all work and iTunes), SERVER (older computer with a RAID storage system for all audio and video files), and HTPC (used to run my projector, with Zoom Player and MyHD). I have moved (consolidated) my iTunes music library from MAIN to SERVER's RAID and iTunes works fantastic but I can no longer use Slim Server for my Squeeze Box. I can't get SlimServer to see the music library on SERVER from MAIN. If I install SlimServer on the SERVER it will not see the iTunes play list that is on MAIN. If I copy the iTunes folder (which contains the iTunes Music Library file) from MAIN to the SERVER the links are bad because they are from the prospective of the MAIN.

Is there a way to force Slim Server to see over a networked drive? Have tried all forms of syntax (\\Server\RAID (F)\Music\ or \\Server\F\music or Z:\Music or \\IP Address\RAID (F)\Music\ or \\IP Address\F\music) I keep getting a error message that says:

Oops - "\\Server\RAID (F)\Music\" doesn't seem to be a valid directory. Try again.

New value for Music Folder rejected:

I have tried just about every trick and option in the book to get it to work. Will SlimServer work over a networked drive? What else can I try to get it to work.

Patrick Dixon
2005-05-05, 09:29
Will SlimServer work over a networked drive? Yes.
What OSs are you running on these machines?

ModelCitizen
2005-05-05, 09:45
> Is there a way to force Slim Server to see over a networked drive?

I'll take a calculated bet you're on Windows.
If so, make sure that you are running the Slimserver on an account that has
network privileges. I run my SS service under an administrator account (yeah
I know.).

This question is a frequent one on this list (forum). There is stuff in the
SlimServer help about it but many seem to miss it. I've also found that when
I upgrade my Slimserver to a new version the service reverts back to
running under a non-privileged account. This is very annoying. It may have
been fixed though, but If so I've not seen anything about it.

Simon Turner
Barcombe UK

William
2005-05-05, 09:55
All three are running XP home server pack 2. Could you give me a 101 version of how to run SS service under an administrator account? About to go to work but would love to try tonight. Thanks,

kdf
2005-05-05, 10:11
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=9699&highlight=windows+network+drive

-kdf

William
2005-05-05, 15:17
I'm want to try the :

Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Find SlimServer and double-click to view the properties. Click on the Log On tab, then click This Account and enter the account information for the user account that has access to the network volume.

But I', not sure what to do. What do I enter in the THIS ACCOUNT box? (\\Server\RAID (F)\Music syntax or something else? Do I need to do this on both computers or just MAIN? and the Password box has 15 characters in it and I don't know what they are. Will I need this password and how do I find out what it is? Why does Slim Server have to be so complicated when all my other programs use the drive by just pointing to Z:?

kdf
2005-05-05, 15:20
its not slimserver that is complicated. it is windows. slimserver either can or cannot read the drive because the operating system either allows it or not.

create a new windows user from teh control panel, and use that for THIS ACCOUNT, or use Administrator, or your current user account.

William
2005-05-05, 15:53
I apologize but I still don't understand what I need to do. Under USER ACCOUNTS I have 2 listed. One is my name and is Computer Administrator which I use to log on. The other is ASP.NET Machine A... (Limited Account Password Protected) what ever that is. So under Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Slim Server ->Log On -> This Account: I type in my name (which is the log on name)? What about Password field that has a unknown 15 character password defaulted. Do I just hit OK not knowing what it is or can I just type one in? Also what do I need to do on the SERVER computer?

JJZolx
2005-05-05, 16:03
I apologize but I still don't understand what I need to do. Under USER ACCOUNTS I have 2 listed. One is my name and is Computer Administrator which I use to log on. The other is ASP.NET Machine A... (Limited Account Password Protected) what ever that is. So under Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Slim Server ->Log On -> This Account: I type in my name (which is the log on name)? What about Password field that has a unknown 15 character password defaulted. Do I just hit OK not knowing what it is or can I just type one in? Also what do I need to do on the SERVER computer?

If your account has no password (which is what it sounds like) then enter a blank password. After changing the account & password you want to restart the service. You'll know as soon as you try to restart the service whether the password was correct. If the password is wrong the service won't start.
________
TC305 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_TC305)

William
2005-05-05, 16:11
So type my name in the This Account field and blank out the 2 Password fields hit OK and restart Slim Server. This is all I have to do to get Slim Server to work?

johnpaul
2005-05-05, 16:23
The stars in the password field are there to provide cover for the length of
the password. The password is the same one you use to log on with. For
example if you log on is WILL and your password is 123, that is the password
you need to put into the account.

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of William
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 4:11 PM
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Re: Can Slim Server use a networked drive and how?

So type my name in the This Account field and blank out the 2 Password
fields hit OK and restart Slim Server. This is all I have to do to get
Slim Server to work?

--
William

William
2005-05-05, 19:00
It's working, Thanks