PDA

View Full Version : Curiosities whilst connecting SB2 to wireless network



Philip Meyer
2005-05-04, 15:39
Hi all,

My SB2 arrived today. Great! I thought it would be a trivial exercise to discover my wireless network, as the SB1 installation went quite smoothly. However...

I unplugged my SB1 from the lounge (that's destined for the bedroom), and plugged the SB2 in its place. I switched it on, and it discovered the SSID for my wireless network (and my neighbours - fortunately she's on a different channel). I currently don't bother with any wireless encryption (although that's likely to change, seeing my neighbour has started using wifi). I selected Europe as the WiFi region (I'm in the UK).

However, I couldn't get the SB2 to connect to the network. It obviously could "see" the network, as it detected the SSID and I went back to view current settings, and could see a good signal strength being updated. I checked by WiFi router settings (Belkin 7630-4A, latest firmware version 1.08.03UK), and everything appeared to be in order (mixed mode - 802.11b+g, nitro mode disabled, no security except for MAC address, and I had entered the correct MAC address). DHCP was enabled. These settings used to work fine for the SB1.

I tried to connect the SB2 directly to a wired port. However, I think my only spare ethernet cable was a crossover cable, so I couldn't have both my SlimServer PC and SB2 wired to the router. So I connected the SB2 directly into the PC, and tried to connect. I think this connected, but I didn't have a DHCP service running, so I entered a static IP address in the range that my router would normally allocate. I kept everything else at its default option (subnet, domain, etc). This then enabled me to do a firmware update to v12.

I then went back to the wireless setup, and I still couldn't get the connection to work. Then after I forced a restart of the SB2, I noticed that my server was listed alongside "Set Up Networking" and "View current settings"; presumably the settings were remembered from when I connected via ethernet. So I selected this, and strangely DHCP allocated a really bizzare IP address (perhaps this was some artefact of the ethernet connection taking a Windows IP address - I think it was 168.x.x.x - looks like it used the previously allocated IP, rather than received one from the router, but I'm sure the message said it was allocating a new one), rather than the routers 192.168.2.n range. I restarted again, and second time it allocated a 192.168.2.n IP address and finally connected to my PC slimserver.

Any ideas why it didn't go through smoothly first time? I initially kept the settings trivial - no security/encryption, broadcast SSID, turned off MAC address filtering, etc. Did I do something wrong, or is there a compatibility issue with my WiFi router?

Anyway, it seems to be connecting upon restart okay now, and I'm a happy bunny ;)

I now have a SB1 and SB2 on my wireless network, and I've been trying a few new things that I couldn't do before (synchronisation, etc). I've loads of questions, but I'll drip-feed them here, after checking if my questions have already been answered elsewhere...

Phil

Philip Meyer
2005-05-04, 15:58
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am using SlimServer Version: 6.1.0 - trunk - Nightly from 2005-05-03 on WinXP SP2.

Phil

vidurapparao
2005-05-05, 09:41
Curious, indeed. The firmware revisions that shipped with 6.0.1 (v9) and
6.0.2 (v11) both fixed incompatibilities with access points. If your SB2
shipped with a firmware revision earlier than v9 (I think only true for
boxes that shipped in the first week or so after the SB2 launch), that
would explain what you saw.

--Vidur

Philip Meyer
2005-05-05, 11:19
>Curious, indeed. The firmware revisions that shipped with 6.0.1 (v9) and
>6.0.2 (v11) both fixed incompatibilities with access points. If your SB2
>shipped with a firmware revision earlier than v9 (I think only true for
>boxes that shipped in the first week or so after the SB2 launch), that
>would explain what you saw.
>
I believe the firmware was at v9 before I upgraded it to v12.