PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen of Death?

Snowflake
2005-05-02, 18:44
I've been searching for "losing connection" and "black screen" and "blank screen" and haven't found a description that matches the problem i'm seeing... Maybe someone here has seen it.

I'm running a brand new Squeezebox2, just received it a week and a half ago. I had already installed Slimserver6 the week before, and tested it with the local stream (http://127.0.0.1/stream.mp3). The Squeezebox mostly works great, and continues to amaze me every time I sit in front of it.

The problem is, it seems to die once in a while. Three mornings now, i've come down to it to see the screen mostly black, but with a little bit of "fringing" (best word I can think of to describe it) on the left and right ends of the display. If I hit any key on the remote, it wakes up and says it's connecting to the network. But it doesn't, and I have to arrow left to the network setup menu, and then right through all my settings (WEP, Static IP, etc. it's a pain).

Any suggestions? I don't think it's a server problem, as once i've run through the setup again, it connects just fine and plays happily. Also, I can still use the local stream while it's in this state.

I'd be happy to hear i'm not alone... I don't like the idea of being without it if I have to return it for service... :P

earthbased
2005-05-02, 20:15
I've been searching for "losing connection" and "black screen" and "blank screen" and haven't found a description that matches the problem i'm seeing... Maybe someone here has seen it.

I'm running a brand new Squeezebox2, just received it a week and a half ago. I had already installed Slimserver6 the week before, and tested it with the local stream (http://127.0.0.1/stream.mp3). The Squeezebox mostly works great, and continues to amaze me every time I sit in front of it.

The problem is, it seems to die once in a while. Three mornings now, i've come down to it to see the screen mostly black, but with a little bit of "fringing" (best word I can think of to describe it) on the left and right ends of the display. If I hit any key on the remote, it wakes up and says it's connecting to the network. But it doesn't, and I have to arrow left to the network setup menu, and then right through all my settings (WEP, Static IP, etc. it's a pain).

Any suggestions? I don't think it's a server problem, as once i've run through the setup again, it connects just fine and plays happily. Also, I can still use the local stream while it's in this state.

I'd be happy to hear i'm not alone... I don't like the idea of being without it if I have to return it for service... :P

My SB2 was occassionally freezing until I turned off Windows XP standby. Maybe this is the cause of your problem?

max.spicer
2005-05-03, 02:53
Snowflake: would you mind using a non-animated avatar? Having it pinging away in the corner of posts is really distracting!

Thanks,

Max

Nick Silberstein
2005-05-03, 10:12
max.spicer wrote:
> Snowflake: would you mind using a non-animated avatar? Having it
> pinging away in the corner of posts is really distracting!

Since you can't really control who does what, it's best to restrict
things like this locally.

To not display animated gifs in your browser, follow these directions:

Mozilla/Firefox browsers:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Tips_:_Animated_Images

Internet Explorer (ick...):

Tools -> Internet Options... -> Advanced

Scroll the settings window down to the Multimedia section, and uncheck
"Play animations in web pages". You'll probably need to restart IE, and
maybe Windows.

Nick

--
Nick Silberstein
Senior Developer
Flying Machine Development, Inc.

--
---------------------[ Ciphire Signature ]----------------------
From: nick (AT) flyingmachine (DOT) com signed email body (600 characters)
Date: on 03 May 2005 at 17:12:02 UTC
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
----------------------------------------------------------------
: Ciphire has secured this email against identity theft.
: Free download at www.ciphire.com. The garbled lines
: below are the sender's verifiable digital signature.
00fAAAAAEAAADisHdCWAIAACIDAAIAAgACACBRCuDHfCdm7ojb WrVhWB44/cegOe
DWtrFRCXrR09PKXAEAGuut/XGiY4yti+yDQ84APzXWLkDhVdPVVl1QhSpeVH06F3
MZbCzOTjDONDZwazaIdE+xflvbdY5YemcpjPiUrg==
------------------[ End Ciphire Signed Message ]----------------

JJZolx
2005-05-03, 10:21
Internet Explorer (ick...)

Animated avatars are OK with me. Grown men who use the term "ick" give me the creeps.
________
extreme vaporizer (http://extremevaporizer.net/)

Nick Silberstein
2005-05-03, 12:02
JJZolx wrote:
> Animated avatars are OK with me. Grown men who use the term "ick" give
> me the creeps.

My post was probably helpful to a few people. Your post was textual
flatulence.

Animated avatars are OK with you? Grown men who use the term ick give
you the creeps? Who cares? Shudder, if you must, and move along. Why
be insulting?

Please, don't breed.

Nick

--
Nick Silberstein
Senior Developer
Flying Machine Development, Inc.

--
---------------------[ Ciphire Signature ]----------------------
From: nick (AT) flyingmachine (DOT) com signed email body (356 characters)
Date: on 03 May 2005 at 19:02:31 UTC
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
: Ciphire has secured this email against identity theft.
: Free download at www.ciphire.com. The garbled lines
: below are the sender's verifiable digital signature.
00fAAAAAEAAADHyndCZAEAACwDAAIAAgACACBRCuDHfCdm7ojb WrVhWB44/cegOe
DWtrFRCXrR09PKXAEAGuut/XGiY4yti+yDQ84APzXWLkDhVdPVVl1QhSpeVH25Q8
DfKR/60XNU6wWnT6odnJg7/S35UyR/pWYL1si7Rg==
------------------[ End Ciphire Signed Message ]----------------

Jim
2005-05-03, 13:44
Regarding the avatar bickering: The other 2 guys need to have a beer, or a smoke.

Regarding your SB problem: You need to have plenty of coffee or have a sniff and stay awake all night to see the exact moment your SB BlackSOD's :D

Nah, in all seriousness this happens quite a bit and can be a few things, all related to the other end of the cable/antenna of your Squeezebox. Either way, if it does happen when you turn on your SB you don't need to configure the network again. When that bit comes up just press the down arrow and choose "Done with setup".

Problems it could be are:

Windows setting such as standby/hibernate or even some "smart" power saving trickery of a laptop such as turning off the NIC/Wireless.

Slimserver problem such as a generic crash (try turning on logging) or more likely you have something set such as a nightly rescan which isn't working too great. Running Slimserver with a mySQL database instead of the generic one always causes this issue and is a known bug.

I'd suspect the OS to be the likely problem, and with any server problem the first thing you should do is check the number of apparent tracks in your library matches the number of tracks you should have.

Snowflake
2005-05-04, 20:55
Re: the possibility of it being a windows problem: 100% impossible. I am running Slimserver on a Linux Fedora Core 3 box, and the only windows box in the house is a laptop that hasn't been used in at least the past week. The last time the laptop was used, I connected wirelessly to the same router the SB2 connects to, browsed a bit, and shut down the laptop, and all the while the SB2 was streaming radioparadise over the 'net.

I do have a bit of an update, though: the SB2 sits in my living room, and the router (Linksys WRT54G) is in the basement, one floor and one wall away. I happened to check the wireless signal strength on the SB2, and found it fluctuating between 60% and 70%. While I was doing this, it black screened on me. Had to go through the setup again.

I also upgraded my server software from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2 the other night, and the SB2 firmware from 9 to 11 (as reported on the SB2 itself). Since it blackscreened again anyway, i'm thinking the problem is something other than the software or server though... Maybe I just have poor signal strength in that location.

I will check next time and see if I can bypass the setup by doing "down arrow" "finish setup" when it turns back on. In the meantime, i'm open to further suggestions.

-Rob

PS - Re: the animated avatar: I spent a long time finding an avatar that I like, and I use the same one on 15 different forums. I'm not changing it because you're a technological luddite. Turn off images in your browser if you don't want to see them.

dean
2005-05-04, 21:10
Snowflake,

On May 4, 2005, at 8:55 PM, Snowflake wrote:
> I do have a bit of an update, though: the SB2 sits in my living room,
> and the router (Linksys WRT54G) is in the basement, one floor and one
> wall away. I happened to check the wireless signal strength on the
> SB2, and found it fluctuating between 60% and 70%. While I was doing
> this, it black screened on me. Had to go through the setup again.
Has it ever gone black while music was playing? Did the music stop?

When it does go black next time, press the UP button on the remote.
What does it say?

Snowflake
2005-05-05, 16:56
Has it ever gone black while music was playing? Did the music stop?
No. Never died while playing music.

When it does go black next time, press the UP button on the remote. What does it say?
I'll try this next time I see it.

Snowflake
2005-05-06, 11:18
No. Never died while playing music.
Never fails that as soon as I report this, that's exactly what happened. This morning while I was eating breakfast, the music stopped. I looked over at the SB2 to see "connecting to wireless network" on the screen. No countdown, no name of my wireless access point showing. Same symptoms as the previous crashes, I ended up going through the setup again in order to get it to reconnect.

I'll try this next time I see it.
FYI, hitting the "up" or "down" arrows didn't do anything to help. I'll write down what it shows next time, I just didn't have a pen handy and I was trying to get out the door this AM or I would have written it down.

I did try another suggestion above, which was to just scroll back to the menu and try and "accept" the current connection. I couldn't find that menu entry. I was able to view the current settings, and they are complete, with IP addresses, WEP codes, etc. But if I say "connect to wireless network", it just goes to the "connecting to wireless network" screen, stays there for a few seconds, and then goes back to the black screen.

Perhaps this is significant: When I run through the complete setup, and it gets to the "connecting to wireless network" screen, it shows my wireless access point's name at the bottom of the screen, and a countdown on the right-hand-side. When it's come out of BSOD mode, it doesn't show the access point's name or the countdown.

dean
2005-05-06, 11:33
Hi,

That sounds like your wireless access point has crashed or otherwise
become unavailable. Is it working for other wireless devices at this
point?
Also, what's the model number and firmware version for your access
point?

On May 6, 2005, at 11:18 AM, Snowflake wrote:

>
> Snowflake Wrote:
>
>> No. Never died while playing music.
>>
> Never fails that as soon as I report this, that's exactly what
> happened. This morning while I was eating breakfast, the music
> stopped. I looked over at the SB2 to see "connecting to wireless
> network" on the screen. No countdown, no name of my wireless access
> point showing. Same symptoms as the previous crashes, I ended up
> going
> through the setup again in order to get it to reconnect.
>
>

Snowflake
2005-05-06, 21:42
That sounds like your wireless access point has crashed or otherwise become unavailable. Is it working for other wireless devices at this point?
My access point only serves the SB2, generally. The only other unit that accesses it wirelessly is a laptop which only gets occasional use (and so far, it's use has not been correlated to any crashes).

Also, what's the model number and firmware version for your access point?
Model: Linksys WRT54G
Fware: Satori-4.0 v2.07.1.7sv

I guess I could check whether there's a newer firmware, it's been a while since this one was installed. It's not a stock Linksys install, i'll admit.

Another update, this evening I was sitting near the direct line-of-sight between the SB2 and the access point. My wife came over and sat down right on the line of sight, between teh two of us we probably blocked the shortest path between the two units. not more than a couple of seconds later, the screen went black (it wasn't playing at the time).

I played around with it this time, neither up nor down arrows did anything, the SB2 just displayed "connecting to wireless network..." and up and down arrows would give the "bounce" response.

What I *think* is happening is this:

1. the unit is happily connected using the settings i've given it.
2. the unit loses it's wireless link, because the signal strength has dropped too low.
3. the unit is assuming that the specified network is not valid anymore, and attempts to connect in "ad hoc" mode.

Unfortunately, my network is secured such that the only way to access it is by WEP with the right code. So the ad-hoc connection will never connect, so i'm stuck forcing it back to the WEP link by running through the settings.

Maybe this can be fixed in the next firmware release? Make it try the WEP link instead of the ad-hoc link?

dean
2005-05-07, 07:25
Ah, now I think we're getting somewhere...

On May 6, 2005, at 9:42 PM, Snowflake wrote:
>> Also, what's the model number and firmware version for your access
>> point?
>>
> Model: Linksys WRT54G
> Fware: Satori-4.0 v2.07.1.7sv
I don't think that we've tested with this configuration.
Unfortunately, we've found that there are a lot of bugs in access
points that cause incompatibilities.

> I guess I could check whether there's a newer firmware, it's been a
> while since this one was installed. It's not a stock Linksys install,
> i'll admit.
Please do update.

> Another update, this evening I was sitting near the direct
> line-of-sight between the SB2 and the access point. My wife came over
> and sat down right on the line of sight, between teh two of us we
> probably blocked the shortest path between the two units. not more
> than a couple of seconds later, the screen went black (it wasn't
> playing at the time).
>
> I played around with it this time, neither up nor down arrows did
> anything, the SB2 just displayed "connecting to wireless network..."
> and up and down arrows would give the "bounce" response.
>
> What I *think* is happening is this:
>
> 1. the unit is happily connected using the settings i've given it.
> 2. the unit loses it's wireless link, because the signal strength has
> dropped too low.
> 3. the unit is assuming that the specified network is not valid
> anymore, and attempts to connect in "ad hoc" mode.
I doubt that it's trying to get in using "ad hoc", but it's clear
that it it connects manually fine but doesn't reconnect properly.
Try upgrading the firmware. If that doesn't work, then if it's
possible to use the Linksys firmware, try that.

> Maybe this can be fixed in the next firmware release? Make it try the
> WEP link instead of the ad-hoc link?
This confuses me. Is your access point set up for ad hoc or
infrastructure mode? I'd definitely recommend using infrastructure
mode, if possible.

(WEP encryption can be used in either mode...)

-dean

Snowflake
2005-05-22, 20:00
Ah, now I think we're getting somewhere...
> Model: Linksys WRT54G
> Fware: Satori-4.0 v2.07.1.7sv[/color]
I don't think that we've tested with this configuration.
Unfortunately, we've found that there are a lot of bugs in access
points that cause incompatibilities.
That's unfortunate. What could I do to feed back some debugging information, so that this configuration could become more understood? The Satori firmware is very common on Linksys routers, and I checked about a week ago and found that this is the latest.

I doubt that it's trying to get in using "ad hoc", but it's clear that it it connects manually fine but doesn't reconnect properly. Try upgrading the firmware. If that doesn't work, then if it's possible to use the Linksys firmware, try that.
Unfortunately not possible to use the Linksys firmware. I upgraded to the Satori firmware specifically to obtain other network capabilities that the stock Linksys firmware doesn't offer. But the Satori firmware did start from a stock Linksys firmware codeset, I believe... The additional capability is just tacked on. The base functionality should be the same.

This confuses me. Is your access point set up for ad hoc or infrastructure mode? I'd definitely recommend using infrastructure mode, if possible.
I believe it's set up in infrastructure mode, but I could be mixing up terminology. My router is set to only allow access to those using WEP with the appropriate key. In the "wireless mode" setting, it's set to "AP" (for access point) not "ad hoc". I've always assumed that meant it was in infrastructure mode.