PDA

View Full Version : sb2 bridge feature

evanhood
2005-05-02, 09:57
I just purchased an sb2 and am looking forward to using the bridging feature for my tivo. I was wondering though, has anyone tried plugging a hub/switch into the ethernet port of the sb2 and seen if multiple devices/machines can be wirelessly bridged to the rest of their wireless network? One ethernet port for the tivo is nice, multiple for future expansion, xbox, etc would be even better.

p.s. anyone I can bribe to get replaygain working for flac playback?

JJZolx
2005-05-02, 10:12
I just purchased an sb2 and am looking forward to using the bridging feature for my tivo. I was wondering though, has anyone tried plugging a hub/switch into the ethernet port of the sb2 and seen if multiple devices/machines can be wirelessly bridged to the rest of their wireless network? One ethernet port for the tivo is nice, multiple for future expansion, xbox, etc would be even better.

Connecting a switch or hub and multiple devices should work just fine. I haven't tried it, but it's been mentioned here before and I can't think of a reason, from a networking standpoint, that it shouldn't work.
________
CT3 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_CT3)

radish
2005-05-02, 12:00
It may well work, but to add a note of caution, I have a standalone wireless bridge which doesn't work with a switch connected. Well it kind of does...basically it can only handle connections from one of the devices at a time. So if you have two computers connected and one is downloading something, if the second machine makes a request the bridge "forgets" about the first and the download fails. I know that some bridges can handle a switch, but not all can (it would seem).

seanadams
2005-05-02, 12:07
> a hub/switch into the ethernet port of the sb2 and seen if multiple
> devices/machines can be wirelessly bridged to the rest of their
> wireless network?

Bridging multiple devices like this works fine.

evanhood
2005-05-03, 06:49
That's great to know! I currently have linksys router with a hacked firmware on it set up for bridging but it has the same limitation as a previous poster mentioned where it only listens to one device at a time which can be problematic, nice to know that the sb2 does bridging for real. Thanks again!