PDA

View Full Version : MySQL Faster?

Jimsngc
2005-04-28, 08:39
Hi,

I have a fairly large music collection and a lower spec server (AMD K2-450 w/256mb Ram). Whilst I would like to upgrade the server to something more powerful eventually, that's not an option in the immediate future. I experience some delay when searching or browsing the music folder. It's not excessive - which speaks highly of the perl scripts considering I have some 11516 songs in the library! - but it is noticeable.

My question is if anyone on the list has converted to an external MySQL database and if they note any performance increases and also if there are any hints/tips before I go down this road?

Thanks,

Jim

Dan Sully
2005-04-28, 08:51
* Jimsngc shaped the electrons to say...

>I have a fairly large music collection and a lower spec server (AMD
>K2-450 w/256mb Ram). Whilst I would like to upgrade the server to
>something more powerful eventually, that's not an option in the
>immediate future. I experience some delay when searching or browsing
>the music folder. It's not excessive - which speaks highly of the perl
>scripts considering I have some 11516 songs in the library! - but it is
>noticeable.
>
>My question is if anyone on the list has converted to an external MySQL
>database and if they note any performance increases and also if there
>are any hints/tips before I go down this road?

Jim - you're best to stick with SQLite - it's faster, and it won't use as much memory.

FWIW, Browsing the Music Folder involves the DB & the filesystem, so it's a
bit slower. Browsing Artists, etc use the DB directly.

-D
--
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"

Jimsngc
2005-04-28, 10:04
Thanks Dan - that's the info I needed!

I'll just start saving for a fast box. It's really time to say goodbye to this old RH7.2 box..........

Thanks again!

Jim

pbrubaker
2005-04-28, 14:03
I've noticed the same delay after upgrading to Slimserver 6.x. My library "contains 2559 albums with 33253 songs by 2086 artists" and it's funny but it looks like 5.x searched faster than 6.x.

--P

JJZolx
2005-05-03, 18:21
Has anyone done any scalability testing, re: SQLite vs. MySQL? Something tells me that there's probably a point at which MySQL will be faster. Probably not a factor with most people's libraries, but when you get into the 10's of thousands of tracks or try feeding 3, 4, 5 devices, it may make a substantial difference.

And has anybody tried using MySQL MyISAM tables instead of InnoDB? MyISAM should be much faster than using InnoDB for the primarily read-only environment of a music server. Is transaction support critical to the operation of SlimServer?
________
digital vaporizer (http://digitalvaporizers.info)