PDA

View Full Version : Mac OSX and Norton Personal FIrewall

bromo33333
2005-04-25, 09:35
I have just got a SB2 and have it on my wired network - and the only way I can get the thing to play is to disable the firewall (Norton Personal Firewall). If I open the ports specified and "Allow All" in incoming and outgoing, Slimserver recognizes the SB2, but cannot stream music to it. If I disable and stream, then re-enable, the player stops about a minute later. From scanning the forums, I didn't see anything quite like this.

My router has SPI and its own firewall, so this isn't a disaster - though I would much prefer to be able to have my old double-layered setup. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(BTW, I love the thing so far!!)

Roy Owen
2005-04-25, 11:01
You need to allow access via the following ports 9000 (TCP) and 3483 (TCP).
Once this is accomplished it should work.

On 4/25/05, bromo33333 <bromo33333.1o1zcn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I have just got a SB2 and have it on my wired network - and the only way
> I can get the thing to play is to disable the firewall (Norton Personal
> Firewall). If I open the ports specified and "Allow All" in incoming
> and outgoing, Slimserver recognizes the SB2, but cannot stream music to
> it. If I disable and stream, then re-enable, the player stops about a
> minute later. From scanning the forums, I didn't see anything quite
> like this.
>
> My router has SPI and its own firewall, so this isn't a disaster -
> though I would much prefer to be able to have my old double-layered
> setup. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> (BTW, I love the thing so far!!)
>
> --
> bromo33333
>

kevin
2005-04-25, 11:19
I have just got a SB2 and have it on my wired network - and the only way I can get the thing to play is to disable the firewall (Norton Personal Firewall). If I open the ports specified and "Allow All" in incoming and outgoing, Slimserver recognizes the SB2, but cannot stream music to it. If I disable and stream, then re-enable, the player stops about a minute later. From scanning the forums, I didn't see anything quite like this.

My router has SPI and its own firewall, so this isn't a disaster - though I would much prefer to be able to have my old double-layered setup. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(BTW, I love the thing so far!!)
Software firewalls are notorious for issues like this, where they're configured to operate one way, but just don't.

The issue you mention where it plays for a while and then stops, that sounds like it might possibly be tripping on what it perceives as an attack... Does it have any sort of logging functionality that you could look at? If so, does it appear to be blocking the socket on port 9000 due to an 'AltaVista Traversal Attack'? If so, you should probably disable detection for that attack.

Also, what ports have you opened? The only ones you should really need would be: 3483/tcp, 3483/udp, 9000/tcp...