PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Tech Info on Squeezebox Remote



cliveb
2005-04-23, 10:07
Hi, this is my first post. Yesterday I took delivery of a SB2, and jolly nice it is to. I'm interested in building a remote receiver that will switch on my power amps (using a power relay) at the same time as turning the SB2 out of standby.

To this end, I need to find out some technical data about the remote, such as the frequency it uses, and the codes it sends. I've tried a search of the forums but came up with nothing. Does anyone know where I can get this kind of data?

Thanks.

Marc Sherman
2005-04-23, 10:32
cliveb wrote:
> Hi, this is my first post. Yesterday I took delivery of a SB2, and jolly
> nice it is to. I'm interested in building a remote receiver that will
> switch on my power amps (using a power relay) at the same time as
> turning the SB2 out of standby.
>
> To this end, I need to find out some technical data about the remote,
> such as the frequency it uses, and the codes it sends. I've tried a
> search of the forums but came up with nothing. Does anyone know where I
> can get this kind of data?

At least some of that info (the codes, not the frequencies, though I
tink the frequency info is fairly standardized for IR remotes) is
available in the file .../IR/Slim_Devices_Remote.ir within the
slimserver source.

If you've already got a remote that can control your amps, you could go
the other way around, and program the Slim to respond to that remote;
setting the d_ir flag will output every IR signal received to the log,
and you can use those log entries to create a .IR file that maps the
remote codes to symbolic button names. Those buttons are then mapped to
modes/features in the Default.map file in the same directory.

Another alternative you might want to consider is the geekport -- the
SB1/SBG had a pin labled: "s/pdif enable indicator (may be used to drive
remote amplifier turn-on)"; I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that the SB2
geekport has a similar pin.

- Marc

malsbury
2005-04-23, 10:47
Marc Sherman wrote:

> cliveb wrote:
>
>> Hi, this is my first post. Yesterday I took delivery of a SB2, and jolly
>> nice it is to. I'm interested in building a remote receiver that will
>> switch on my power amps (using a power relay) at the same time as
>> turning the SB2 out of standby.
>>
>> To this end, I need to find out some technical data about the remote,
>> such as the frequency it uses, and the codes it sends. I've tried a
>> search of the forums but came up with nothing. Does anyone know where I
>> can get this kind of data?
>
>
> At least some of that info (the codes, not the frequencies, though I
> tink the frequency info is fairly standardized for IR remotes) is
> available in the file .../IR/Slim_Devices_Remote.ir within the
> slimserver source.
>
> If you've already got a remote that can control your amps, you could
> go the other way around, and program the Slim to respond to that
> remote; setting the d_ir flag will output every IR signal received to
> the log, and you can use those log entries to create a .IR file that
> maps the remote codes to symbolic button names. Those buttons are
> then mapped to modes/features in the Default.map file in the same
> directory.
>
> Another alternative you might want to consider is the geekport -- the
> SB1/SBG had a pin labled: "s/pdif enable indicator (may be used to
> drive remote amplifier turn-on)"; I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that
> the SB2 geekport has a similar pin.
>
> - Marc

It is planned that the SB2 headphone port will be able to send out IR
signals to an IR blaster to control other devices.

You can see the post that Sean Adams of Slimdevices wrote here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=34594&postcount=2

Tom Malsbury

cliveb
2005-04-23, 12:25
Marc Sherman wrote:
> Another alternative you might want to consider is the geekport -- the
> SB1/SBG had a pin labled: "s/pdif enable indicator (may be used to
> drive remote amplifier turn-on)"; I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that
> the SB2 geekport has a similar pin.

It is planned that the SB2 headphone port will be able to send out IR
signals to an IR blaster to control other devices.

You can see the post that Sean Adams of Slimdevices wrote here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=34594&postcount=2

Tom Malsbury
Thanks to you both for the info. I had a look at the post that Tom referred to, and from what I can tell, it's about getting the IR code passed on to another IR transmitter. That isn't what I'm trying to do. What I would like to do is build an IR receiver that understands the Squeezebox remote so that it can throw a power relay to control my amps.

The "geekport" that Marc referred to sounds like it might be just the job. It sounds as if it pulls a line high when the SPDIF output is activated. Am I to understand that the SPDIF output only gets activated when the Squeezebox is switched out of standby? If this is what it does, where can I find the info about where the geekport is located, and what voltage/max current it delivers? I tried searching the forums and found an old post with a link to a FAQ on the SlimDevices website (http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_faq.html), but it seems the current version of that FAQ doesn't have any info about the geek connector.

cliveb
2005-04-24, 01:20
The "geekport" that Marc referred to sounds like it might be just the job.
.... but it seems the current version of that FAQ doesn't have any info about the geek connector.
OK, scrub that. After a bit more searching, I deduced that the geekport in an internal edge connector (IDC, perhaps?). Upon opening up the SB2, there is clearly no such connector, so it looks like the geekport is no longer an option. (My SB2 is a wired-only model, if that's relevant).

That brings me back to the post referred to by Tom. It seems to imply that there is something in the offing that might send control signals out on the headphone socket, but that things are at an early stage. It's very difficult to find out any more information: searching the forums doesn't yield anything. Is there any information available about what's planned?

Bruce Hartley
2005-04-24, 01:22
The headphone socket is the new geekport I believe.
You can probably program it to output high when powered on??

Can't tell you much more than that though !!

cliveb
2005-04-24, 04:23
The headphone socket is the new geekport I believe.
You can probably program it to output high when powered on??

Can't tell you much more than that though !!
That's the frustrating thing. Little snippets here and there suggest that I may be able to do what I want, but there seems to be no documentation around that explains how to go about it and/or whether these facilities will require a firmware update.

I think the time has come for an email to SlimDevices tech support....

fcm4711
2005-04-24, 05:17
Hi there

The remote uses the NEC format, timing, carrier etc.
As mentioned by Marc, the codes can be found in
Slim_Devices_Remote.ir or by running SlimServer
with the --d_ir debug flag.

SB1/SBG have an internal geekport.

SB2 will use the headphone jack as a geekport in
the future.
(And yes, it will require a firmware update.)

Felix

cliveb
2005-04-24, 06:58
Thanks for the info, Felix.

I'll stop bugging you good people now, and contact tech support direct.

Cheers,
Clive

kdf
2005-04-24, 12:23
Quoting cliveb <cliveb.1nzq3n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Bruce Hartley Wrote:
> > The headphone socket is the new geekport I believe.
> > You can probably program it to output high when powered on??
> >
> > Can't tell you much more than that though !!
> That's the frustrating thing. Little snippets here and there suggest
> that I may be able to do what I want, but there seems to be no
> documentation around that explains how to go about it and/or whether
> these facilities will require a firmware update.

The Squeezebox 2 has been designed with a flexible IO standard through the
geekport. This means it can be reconfigured via firmware. The first planned
feature is IR blasting, with others to follow. If you have been reading the
other topics in the forum or looking at the current list of bug reports on
bugs.slimdevices.com, then you can see that there is still a lot of effort
being put into working out various launch issues with sb2 and 6.x of the
server.

Unfortunately, this leaves little time to work on the frills. Slim Devices isn't
known for keeping information to themselves, so the reason you find only bit,
is that only bits and ideas exist at the moment.

-kdf