PDA

View Full Version : Browse Music Folder

JJZolx
2005-04-20, 11:52
Does the Browse Music Folder means of navigation in the SlimServer 6 UI utilize the music cache/database? What about when you're down to the Song Info level - is this data coming from the db or from real-time reading of the actual file?
________
mac game (http://macgame.org)

Dan Sully
2005-04-20, 13:06
* JJZolx shaped the electrons to say...

>Does the Browse Music Folder means of navigation in the SlimServer 6 UI
>utilize the music cache/database? What about when you're down to the
>Song Info level - is this data coming from the db or from real-time
>reading of the actual file?

It's a combination - if the file doesn't exist in the database, it will be read on the fly and added.

-D
--
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

JJZolx
2005-04-21, 13:33
* JJZolx shaped the electrons to say...

>Does the Browse Music Folder means of navigation in the SlimServer 6 UI
>utilize the music cache/database? What about when you're down to the
>Song Info level - is this data coming from the db or from real-time
>reading of the actual file?

It's a combination - if the file doesn't exist in the database, it will be read on the fly and added.

Any chance of implementing a TRUE real-time browse of the music folder tree? I'm realizing that this is how I generally find and play music anyway and SlimServer, with its semi-broken cataloging of tracks just gets in the way. It seems to use some odd combination of tags and directories rather than just directories. I see a number of directory trees being flattened at some point in the tree. For instance, instead of seeing a dozen directories (albums) under D:\Music\Ultra-Lounge\ I get 118 mixed up tracks when I browse to that directory.

It might also be nice if it could break out of the "Music" folder and permit browsing of all drives and directories. For instance, if I tell SlimServer my music is at D:\Music, then it means I can't play a tune through the Squeezebox from E:\Rips until it's moved into the music folder. It just strikes me as oddly inflexible when directory browsing would be so simple to do.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that it would be a very welcome option to have the ability to completely turn off the database/caching of tracks by SlimServer and give the user the ability to _only_ browse through directories (once again - actual directories and files, rather than SS's best-guess interpretation). This would enormously simplify both the interface and the work that SlimServer needs to do.
________
CB1 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CB1)

danco
2005-04-21, 13:40
On 21/4/05 at 1:33 pm -0700, JJZolx wrote
>For instance, if I tell
>SlimServer my music is at D:\Music, then it means I can't play a tune
>through the Squeezebox from E:\Rips until it's moved into the music
>folder.

I don't know how Windows works in this respect, but on *nix/Mac, a
symbolic link to E:\Rips in D:\Music does the trick.
--
Daniel Cohen