PDA

View Full Version : DTS playback on SB2 - excellent!

relen
2005-04-20, 11:05
Now I have my not-shiny new SB2, I can confirm that playback of DTS albums ripped to .WAV files works very well indeed. Haven't tried a FLAC file yet.

What you need to watch is that you have the volume on the SB2 turned up all the way - preferably set the digital outputs to be fixed (at max), which is the best setting for highest audio quality anyway.

I get a tiny dropout on track transitions but not enough to get a noise burst on the Meridian G68 here. Which, incidentally, locks perfectly and with complete stability to the SB2 via a G68 S/PDIF coax input, suggesting that the problem with an 861 referred to elsewhere has a different cause.

--Richard E

JayNYC
2005-04-23, 13:09
Has there been any talk/experimentation about streaming DolbyDigitalAC3 and/or DTS via the Squeezebox S/DIF output?

What about just streaming DVD PCM-STEREO to the Squeezebox?

relen
2005-04-23, 16:17
By streaming I presume you mean a live stream of some kind rather than streaming a file, which is what I've been doing, ie ripping a DTS CD for example to a lossless format such as FLAC or WAV and playing that back via the SB2 S/PDIF output to a suitable decoder.

If you know of such a source I'll be happy to try it.

Basically, any surround encoding scheme that encapsulates the stream as an S/PDIF entity should work.

--Richard E

JayNYC
2005-04-24, 11:44
Rephrased:
Is it possible to use WinDVD (or similar DVD player software) to watch a DVD and output the audio* to the Squeezebox2 instead of an internal soundcard? I am thinking in a home theater environment, since I already have the Squeezebox2 feeding a DAC in my system.

* Either PCM-Stereo, or derived PCM-Stereo from Dolby Digital or DTS

kevin
2005-04-25, 10:59
By streaming I presume you mean a live stream of some kind rather than streaming a file, which is what I've been doing, ie ripping a DTS CD for example to a lossless format such as FLAC or WAV and playing that back via the SB2 S/PDIF output to a suitable decoder.

Basically, any surround encoding scheme that encapsulates the stream as an S/PDIF entity should work.

--Richard E

Well, at this time you should be able to pass through WAV-encoded DTS or AC3. I'm not sure how much of a market there was for these formats, but there are still quite a few of these discs out there (DTS CDs):
http://tinyurl.com/75amk

You can rip these just like a regular CD, even encode as flac or apple lossless or whatever, just so long as no bits get thrown away or changed, you should have a playable track. Also ensure that the volume is set to max on the SB2. If you turn it down one notch, they won't play...

(Also, one interesting note, the visualizers won't look right, since the FFT is using the WAV data and not getting post-DTS-decode info...)

Now audio source from DVD-A, DVD-V, or SACD is completely different and we don't know of a way to get that working yet. Still looking in to that part of it...

If you're looking for some sample files to try:
http://www.kellyindustries.com/sounds.html

kevin
2005-04-25, 10:59
Rephrased:
Is it possible to use WinDVD (or similar DVD player software) to watch a DVD and output the audio* to the Squeezebox2 instead of an internal soundcard? I am thinking in a home theater environment, since I already have the Squeezebox2 feeding a DAC in my system.

* Either PCM-Stereo, or derived PCM-Stereo from Dolby Digital or DTS

Unfortunately not at this time.

kevin
2005-04-25, 11:02
Has there been any talk/experimentation about streaming DolbyDigitalAC3 and/or DTS via the Squeezebox S/DIF output?

Yup, I've tested it, and it works... But I'm not sure where else you'd get AC3-WAV content. I had just found some on that Kelly Industries web site and figured I'd play with that too.

What about just streaming DVD PCM-STEREO to the Squeezebox?

Well, that's an unknown quantity currently, as some changes to the server would be involved to recognize a completely different type of file... And that's another unknown quantity, what type of file? You could demux a vob and export the audio somehow, or you could just have the audio_ts vobs from dvd-a or stripped video_ts vobs from dvd-v... There are any number of ways this could be done, so this is all still up in the air AFAIK...

relen
2005-04-25, 12:03
...audio source from DVD-A, DVD-V, or SACD is completely different and we don't know of a way to get that working yet.

You are not supposed to be able to get anything off an SACD in a computer anyway - and as the format is apparently on its last legs I wouldn't bother trying.

DVD-Audio (and the DVD-A content of DualDiscs) is playable on a computer (via WinDVD or Audigy apps etc) but the data stream should be encrypted and although it would be possible to get approval for passing an encrypted MLP stream to decode in the Squeezebox, this would require a significant negotiating effort with a number of bodies from Dolby to the DVD Forum. And while there /was/ an S/PDIF envelope for MLP streams, it's very out of date with all the newer stuff in the MLP spec.

There are methods of lifting AC3 streams from DVD-V but I have not tried them with the SB.

DTS files are fine in WAV or FLAC incidentally, and as we've both pointed out, fix digital out on the SB to maximum or you'll just get noise.

--Richard E

kefa
2005-05-07, 17:04

--Richard E

Given that you're in the UK....I would love to be able to get the BBC's 5.1 version of the new Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series to work. (Available to UK ISPs)

I have AlienBBC installed and have the Squeezebox plugged in to the digital input of an AV amp. The processor in the amp can handle 5.1 sound on the digital input. Unfortunately when I connect to either the RealPlayer or WMA 5.1 streams I only get sound out of 2 speakers even when Dolby Digital or DTS is set on the amp.

I suspect that the extra channel's are being lost during the transcoding.

Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/

The actual 5.1 stream is on the following link. You should be able to connect directly to this by pasting the URL after clicking on the Internet Radio link on SlimServer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/media/bb/h2g4_1_au_bb.ram