PDA

View Full Version : Special characters broken 6.0.x and SlimScrobbler



Oscar Marsh
2005-04-20, 06:45
Special characters are broken in SlimServer 6.0.x v2004-04-20. In Browse Artists, for example, "Bjrk" is appearing as "Bjqrk" and the word "Artists" becomes "<-rtists".

Could this be what is affecting (corrupting) Audioscrobbler submissions with special characters in the new CVS builds of SlimScrobbler for v6? The most recent release of SlimScrobbler for 5.4.x submitted special characters perfectly.

Allan Hise
2005-04-20, 07:27
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Oscar Marsh wrote:

> Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 06:45:20 -0700
> Special characters are broken in SlimServer 6.0.x v2004-04-20. In Browse
> Artists, for example, "Bjrk" is appearing as "Bjqrk" and the word
> "Artists" becomes "<-rtists".
>
> Could this be what is affecting (corrupting) Audioscrobbler submissions
> with special characters in the new CVS builds of SlimScrobbler for v6?
> The most recent release of SlimScrobbler for 5.4.x submitted special
> characters perfectly.

I am seeing this as well.

I don't know how to fix it, but I have crossposted to the plugins list.

Allan

narya
2005-04-20, 09:24
This looks like the same thing I'm experiencing. Please have a look at
Bug #1358:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1358

Alexander.

mherger
2005-04-20, 16:13
Am Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:24:54 +0400 hat narya <narya.de (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
geschrieben:

> This looks like the same thing I'm experiencing. Please have a look at
> Bug #1358:
>
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1358

....and #1374, too: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1374 You
might try to give the patch I uploaded there a go. It's for 6.1 but might
work with 6.0.2, too.

I checked it in for the 6.1 branch. Dan, could this be commited to the
6.0.x branch, too?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

arnonm
2005-04-20, 23:19
Michael Herger wrote:
> Am Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:24:54 +0400 hat narya
> <narya.de (AT) gmail (DOT) com> geschrieben:
>
>> This looks like the same thing I'm experiencing. Please have a look at
>> Bug #1358:
>>
>> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1358
>
>
> ...and #1374, too: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1374 You
> might try to give the patch I uploaded there a go. It's for 6.1 but
> might work with 6.0.2, too.
>
> I checked it in for the 6.1 branch. Dan, could this be commited to the
> 6.0.x branch, too?
>
Could it be part of a greater problem, i.e. all upper ASCII
(non-english) fonts not being displayed correctly in 6.x on SB
I have a set of fonts which contain upper ASCII characters (Hebrew in my
case). They display properly in 5.x servers but as complete rubbish or
blank on 6.01 (all on a SB1).

Arnon

Christian Pernegger
2005-04-21, 06:18
Since the topic of accented characters comes up so often - what's the
status of UTF-8 support?
My workaround with doubletagging doesn't work so well, mainly because
it has to be done by hand and is thus extremely error prone. Until
UTF-8 is ready I'd be happy with a solution that let's me discern
different songs/artists in a remotely meaningful way, maybe via an
automatic transcription. OTOH, that would need access to a dictionary,
which might get even more complicated ... oh boy.

C.

Dan Sully
2005-04-21, 09:40
* Christian Pernegger shaped the electrons to say...

>Since the topic of accented characters comes up so often - what's the
>status of UTF-8 support?
>My workaround with doubletagging doesn't work so well, mainly because
>it has to be done by hand and is thus extremely error prone. Until
>UTF-8 is ready I'd be happy with a solution that let's me discern
>different songs/artists in a remotely meaningful way, maybe via an
>automatic transcription. OTOH, that would need access to a dictionary,
>which might get even more complicated ... oh boy.

Christian - is there a bug for this issue you're referring to?

-D
--
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Christian Pernegger
2005-04-21, 12:33
> Christian - is there a bug for this issue you're referring to?

Nope, why should there be? I understand full UTF-8 support (including
display of Chinese / Japanese tags on the player) was in the pipeline.
I was just wondering if there was any news on that.
The rest was just random musings on how to tide us over those "??????" tracks :)

C.

arnonm
2005-04-21, 13:32
Christian Pernegger wrote:
>>Christian - is there a bug for this issue you're referring to?
>
>
> Nope, why should there be? I understand full UTF-8 support (including
> display of Chinese / Japanese tags on the player) was in the pipeline.
> I was just wondering if there was any news on that.
> The rest was just random musings on how to tide us over those "??????" tracks :)
>
> C.
C, Dan,

I have been working on Hebrew/Arabic support. However, ran into some
issues with 5-> 6 switch. Has the format of the graphics bmp changed?

Arnon

Dan Sully
2005-04-21, 14:14
* Arnon Meshoulam shaped the electrons to say...

>>Nope, why should there be? I understand full UTF-8 support (including
>>display of Chinese / Japanese tags on the player) was in the pipeline.
>>I was just wondering if there was any news on that.
>>The rest was just random musings on how to tide us over those "??????"
>>tracks :)
>
>I have been working on Hebrew/Arabic support. However, ran into some
>issues with 5-> 6 switch. Has the format of the graphics bmp changed?

It should be the same. Dean's the man behind that code though.

-D
--
On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

arnonm
2005-04-21, 16:49
Dan Sully wrote:
> * Arnon Meshoulam shaped the electrons to say...
>
>>> Nope, why should there be? I understand full UTF-8 support (including
>>> display of Chinese / Japanese tags on the player) was in the pipeline.
>>> I was just wondering if there was any news on that.
>>> The rest was just random musings on how to tide us over those
>>> "??????" tracks :)
>>
>>
>> I have been working on Hebrew/Arabic support. However, ran into some
>> issues with 5-> 6 switch. Has the format of the graphics bmp changed?
>
>
> It should be the same. Dean's the man behind that code though.
>
> -D
Dean has a few samples from me - I'm waiting for his feedback.
Specifically, I have mapped upper ASCI (non-english) to a font file and
it works fine in 5.x branch with Dan's UTF8 patch.
In 6.x branch, UTF8 support is in there, so Web works well. However the
same font file dosn't seem to work.
If it gets resolved, generating the font file is easy work with tb2bmp tool.

Arnon

Avi Schwartz
2005-04-21, 18:51
Arnon Meshoulam wrote:

> Dan Sully wrote:
>
>> * Arnon Meshoulam shaped the electrons to say...
>>
>>>> Nope, why should there be? I understand full UTF-8 support (including
>>>> display of Chinese / Japanese tags on the player) was in the pipeline.
>>>> I was just wondering if there was any news on that.
>>>> The rest was just random musings on how to tide us over those
>>>> "??????" tracks :)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I have been working on Hebrew/Arabic support. However, ran into some
>>> issues with 5-> 6 switch. Has the format of the graphics bmp changed?
>>
>>
>>
>> It should be the same. Dean's the man behind that code though.
>>
>> -D
>
> Dean has a few samples from me - I'm waiting for his feedback.
> Specifically, I have mapped upper ASCI (non-english) to a font file
> and it works fine in 5.x branch with Dan's UTF8 patch.
> In 6.x branch, UTF8 support is in there, so Web works well. However
> the same font file dosn't seem to work.
> If it gets resolved, generating the font file is easy work with tb2bmp
> tool.
>
> Arnon

Arnon, if you can get this solved, I will be so happy. I am so tired of
having to type and read weired things like "Pit'om Keshelo Bat" instead
of "פת?ו? כשל? ב?ת" :-)

Avi

--
Avi Schwartz
http://public.xdi.org/=avi.schwartz

michael
2005-04-25, 11:54
Christian Pernegger <pernegger (AT) gmail (DOT) com> writes:
> Since the topic of accented characters comes up so often - what's the
> status of UTF-8 support?

I'm still fairly new to the whole utf-8 thing, so take this worth a
grain of salt.
After poking at it a bit while working on the cuesheet stuff, I've
come to the conclusion that the biggest problem is that it DOES
work. Unfortunately, it's also complex and sensitive to things
that you used to be able to ignore. So when working "correctly" it
exposes all sorts of sloppy tagging, or locale mismatch, or other
issues that you never knew you had, because it always "just worked"
before. It turns out it's often much easier to end up with the
"wrong" character than it is to track down where the mismatch occurred.
Especially if you're tagging on a different machine (or sometimes even
just a different shell) than slimserver is running on. And that's not
even getting into the issues around how well supporting programs
(taggers, fonts, terminal emulators, browsers, etc) deal with it.

Don't get me wrong, I think utf-8 is definitely the way to go. It just
has a bit of a learning curve if you're trying to make it translate
to/from a non-utf-8 locale, and get all your tools in line.
Beyond all of that though, slimserver seems to do the right thing.

-michael

--
"Klaatu Barada Nicto"

Christian Pernegger
2005-04-25, 12:53
> I've come to the conclusion that the biggest problem is that it DOES
> work.

Interesting perspective :p

> Especially if you're tagging on a different machine (or sometimes even
> just a different shell) than slimserver is running on. And that's not
> even getting into the issues around how well supporting programs
> (taggers, fonts, terminal emulators, browsers, etc) deal with it.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think utf-8 is definitely the way to go. It just
> has a bit of a learning curve if you're trying to make it translate
> to/from a non-utf-8 locale, and get all your tools in line.
> Beyond all of that though, slimserver seems to do the right thing.

The server (as in web interface) has been working fine with my
Japanese tagged tracks since the first 6.0 nightly I tried. It's just
that the display on the sb2 itself shows only "??????" for those
songs' tag information.

As I've said before, most likely there just isn't a font suitable for the
sb2 display yet.

C.

michael
2005-04-26, 15:18
Christian Pernegger <pernegger (AT) gmail (DOT) com> writes:
....
> The server (as in web interface) has been working fine with my
> Japanese tagged tracks since the first 6.0 nightly I tried. It's just
> that the display on the sb2 itself shows only "??????" for those
> songs' tag information.
>
> As I've said before, most likely there just isn't a font suitable for the
> sb2 display yet.

Well, I don't have any japanese tracks that are actually tagged
properly, but if as you say it works everywhere but on the display
itself, then I suspect you're right about it just not having an
applicable font.


-michael

--
"a prayer for the heart, a prayer for the lungs
that breathe in air, a prayer for the air
that gives us life, a prayer for the life
that brings us strife, a prayer for the strife."
-rosen coven "bodyless devotion"