PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for newbie

davel
2005-04-19, 09:47
We are having our small 25X20 kitchen gutted and redone so I thought now is the perfect time to put streaming music into my house - starting with the kitchen. A few questions: is the performance of the wireless SB2 good enough to get this version rather than a wired one?
My other question concerns speakers and an amp. I was hoping to find some decent in-wall amplified speakers for around $200 to $300, but I can only seem to find powered speakers or in-wall speakers, not both. Any suggestions? I was hoping to avoid having to get an amplifier and I thought I could appease the wife with discrete in-wall speakers. I suppose discrete exterior wall mounted speakers might work, but I want the sound to be decent (but it doesn't have to be great).

jmpage2
2005-04-19, 12:19
I have never seen powered inwall speakers. Your best option would be to buy some small in-wall speakers and an inexpensive amp as seperate items.

As far as wireless SB2 performance, deep buffer and wireless-G means most users won't have problems, but if your network is crap then you will regret not going wired.

BKDotCom
2005-04-19, 14:03
If you're gutting the room, might as well run some CAT-5 cable in the walls. (cat-5 can also be used instead of phone cabling )
of course it doesn't appear you'd be running it anywhere else in the house... I'm all about wires when possible.
You're not a geek until you have a wiring closet at home.

Michael Amster
2005-05-19, 15:48
davel wrote:

>We are having our small 25X20 kitchen gutted and redone so I thought now
>is the perfect time to put streaming music into my house - starting with
>the kitchen. A few questions: is the performance of the wireless SB2
>good enough to get this version rather than a wired one?
>My other question concerns speakers and an amp. I was hoping to find
>some decent in-wall amplified speakers for around $200 to $300, but I
>can only seem to find powered speakers or in-wall speakers, not both.
>Any suggestions? I was hoping to avoid having to get an amplifier and
>I thought I could appease the wife with discrete in-wall speakers. I
>suppose discrete exterior wall mounted speakers might work, but I want
>the sound to be decent (but it doesn't have to be great).
>
>
>
>
When I bought my SB2, I relegated my SB1 to kitchen duty. It is
wireless and working with the 320KBs limit. I get low signal there -
about 20%, but it seems to work fine. I decided agains in-wall and
bought some simple Altec Lansing powered computer speakers. We do no
"serious" listening in the kitchen, so I would not recommend spending
much on speakers/amp for that room. For us the ambient noise is high
for cooking, playing with the toddler, etc. Serious listening is with
the SB2-> Art DIO DAC -> B&K Ref 50 PrePro -> AKSA Nirvana+ 100wpc AMP
-> Dynaudio Contour 3.0

Go cheap for the kitchen, I bought these
(http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=VS2220). They
sound much better than the price implies.

-MA

bossanova808
2005-05-19, 17:17
Might as well put in Cat-6 - ie make sure the ethernet cable you put in in the good stuff, suitable for Gigabit-LAN and a bit more future proof - is almost the same price anyway.

Wired, fixed IP etc, all works well - why overcoplicated things with wireless if you have the perfect opportunity to go wired but neat?

Well, works for me.

GregD
2005-05-20, 01:52
I've seen tham as part of multi-room systems.

QED Systemline modular has them (google is your friend) and I remember B & W used to do a range - but I can't see it any more on their web site. I have QED's older multi-room system - but the modular stuff looks to save you quite a bit of wire compared to the older systems - although you're more restricted as to speaker choice.

I don't know what your chances of using the QED speakers without the rest of the system is.

There is certainly a much better lot of choice of non-active in-wall speakers from high quality makers (Kef, B&W, Rega...) - so you'll probably get better sound this way.

- Greg

Patrick Dixon
2005-05-20, 02:47
It seems to me that there are a number of problems with active in-wall speakers:

* You need to run power to two extra places
* An amplifier produces heat, and it's not easy to disipate in a wall
* The amplifier is less accessable from a service ptv

Another approach you might consider, is to site the amplifier somewhere discrete, near the SB, and SB power point, and then run hidden speaker cables to the in-wall speakers.

I am doing a job for someone at the moment, and doing just that - using custom built amplifiers in painted die-cast boxes which can be wall mounted at skirting board level behind furniture or in a kitchen cupboard.

If you are a reasonably competent DIYer, there are many modulular amplifier designs that you can use (many of them based on 'chipamp' or 'gainclone' designs). If you can't diy, then check out someone like Scott Nixon in the US, or drop me a line if you're in the UK/EU!

David A. Chappel
2005-05-20, 08:12
Watch the microwave with wireless. Some Microwaves will kill your
network. Especially close by. My SB2 is more resilient than my laptop.

Cheers,
-b

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 15:48 -0700, Michael Amster wrote:
>
> >We are having our small 25X20 kitchen gutted and redone so I thought
> now
> >is the perfect time to put streaming music into my house - starting
> with
> >the kitchen. A few questions: is the performance of the wireless SB2
> >good enough to get this version rather than a wired one?
> >My other question concerns speakers and an amp. I was hoping to find
> >some decent in-wall amplified speakers for around $200 to $300, but I
> >can only seem to find powered speak