PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Slimserver 6.1.x and ShoutCast



Roy Owen
2005-04-17, 04:36
Running the 4/15/2005 nightly on WinXP SP2. When attempting to access
ShoutCast SS crashes with the following in the event log:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
undefined entity at line 8951, column 52, byte 443983 at
/PerlApp/XML/Parser.pm line 187
..

Thanks
Roy

--
Do meddle in the affairs of Dragons,
for you are crunchy and good with Tabasco.

mherger
2005-04-17, 04:55
Am Sun, 17 Apr 2005 07:36:28 -0400 hat Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
geschrieben:

> Running the 4/15/2005 nightly on WinXP SP2. When attempting to access
> ShoutCast SS crashes with the following in the event log:
>
> The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be
> found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or
> message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
> able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
> and
> Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
> undefined entity at line 8951, column 52, byte 443983 at
> /PerlApp/XML/Parser.pm line 187
> .

Could you please try running slim.exe with the -d_plugins parameter and
post the output here?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Roy Owen
2005-04-17, 12:09
I've currently got the --d_plugins and --d_remotestream on however there is
no output in the log file.

On 4/17/05, Michael Herger <slim (AT) herger (DOT) net> wrote:
>
> Am Sun, 17 Apr 2005 07:36:28 -0400 hat Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
> geschrieben:
>
> > Running the 4/15/2005 nightly on WinXP SP2. When attempting to access
> > ShoutCast SS crashes with the following in the event log:
> >
> > The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be
> > found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> > information or
> > message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
> > able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
> > and
> > Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
> > undefined entity at line 8951, column 52, byte 443983 at
> > /PerlApp/XML/Parser.pm line 187
> > .
>
> Could you please try running slim.exe with the -d_plugins parameter and
> post the output here?
>
> --
>
> Michael
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> Help translate SlimServer by using the
> SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)
>

mherger
2005-04-17, 12:21
Am Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:09:47 -0400 hat Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
geschrieben:

> I've currently got the --d_plugins and --d_remotestream on however there
> is no output in the log file.

Try running the application manually: open a DOS windows (run "cmd"), go
to the "c:\program files\slimserver\server" (or wherever your server is
installed). There's an executable slim.exe. Run "slim -d_plugins" from the
command line. This should give you the startup messages when the server is
trying to load the plugins.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Roy Owen
2005-04-17, 13:10
I'm not sure exactly what you are after. Here is how I am currently starting
slim server:
slim --logfile slimserver.log --d_remotestream --d_plugins

There are no entries in the log file relating to the crash.

On 4/17/05, Michael Herger <slim (AT) herger (DOT) net> wrote:
>
> Am Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:09:47 -0400 hat Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
> geschrieben:
>
> > I've currently got the --d_plugins and --d_remotestream on however there
> > is no output in the log file.
>
> Try running the application manually: open a DOS windows (run "cmd"), go
> to the "c:\program files\slimserver\server" (or wherever your server is
> installed). There's an executable slim.exe. Run "slim -d_plugins" from the
> command line. This should give you the startup messages when the server is
> trying to load the plugins.
>
> --
>
> Michael
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> Help translate SlimServer by using the
> SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)
>

mherger
2005-04-17, 13:59
Am Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:10:58 -0400 hat Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
geschrieben:

> I'm not sure exactly what you are after. Here is how I am currently
> starting slim server:
> slim --logfile slimserver.log --d_remotestream --d_plugins

Another thought... how many streams? Try reducing the number of streams.
Try again. I have seen crashes with some strangly formatted XML files, but
only when I tried to download > 1000 streams.

> There are no entries in the log file relating to the crash.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Roy Owen
2005-04-17, 14:32
That fixed it. I had the streams set to 2000. Although I was unable to
change the number of streams from the web interface (fishbone), I had to
stop the server and change the pref file manually.

Thanks for the help.
Roy

On 4/17/05, Michael Herger <slim (AT) herger (DOT) net> wrote:
>
> Am Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:10:58 -0400 hat Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
> geschrieben:
>
> > I'm not sure exactly what you are after. Here is how I am currently
> > starting slim server:
> > slim --logfile slimserver.log --d_remotestream --d_plugins
>
> Another thought... how many streams? Try reducing the number of streams.
> Try again. I have seen crashes with some strangly formatted XML files, but
> only when I tried to download > 1000 streams.
>
> > There are no entries in the log file relating to the crash.
>
> --
>
> Michael
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> Help translate SlimServer by using the
> SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)
>

mherger
2005-04-17, 22:51
[moved to the plugins list]

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:32:12 -0400, Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

> That fixed it. I had the streams set to 2000. Although I was unable to
> change the number of streams from the web interface (fishbone), I had to
> stop the server and change the pref file manually.

Why were you unable to use the web interface? Have you had a look at the
settings/radio page?

I'll have a look at the XML problem.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

mherger
2005-04-18, 08:31
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:36:28 +0200, Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

> Running the 4/15/2005 nightly on WinXP SP2. When attempting to access
> ShoutCast SS crashes with the following in the event log:
>
> The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be
> found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or
> message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
> able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
> and
> Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
> undefined entity at line 8951, column 52, byte 443983 at
> /PerlApp/XML/Parser.pm line 187

I have checked in a fix which should catch this problem. The crash was due
to some incorrect entity in the XML file we get from Shoutcast. If you run
into this, try reducing the maximum number of streams. With less streams
chances are you don't get the culprit, as it's not the most popular (<10
listeners this afternoon).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Roy Owen
2005-04-18, 08:53
Okay, Thanks

On 4/18/05, Michael Herger <slim (AT) herger (DOT) net> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:36:28 +0200, Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> > Running the 4/15/2005 nightly on WinXP SP2. When attempting to access
> > ShoutCast SS crashes with the following in the event log:
> >
> > The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be
> > found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> > information or
> > message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
> > able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
> > and
> > Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
> > undefined entity at line 8951, column 52, byte 443983 at
> > /PerlApp/XML/Parser.pm line 187
>
> I have checked in a fix which should catch this problem. The crash was due
> to some incorrect entity in the XML file we get from Shoutcast. If you run
> into this, try reducing the maximum number of streams. With less streams
> chances are you don't get the culprit, as it's not the most popular (<10
> listeners this afternoon).
>
> --
>
> Michael
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> Help translate SlimServer by using the
> StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)
>
>