PDA

View Full Version : Turning Crossfade on and off

davep
2005-04-16, 02:33
I really like the crossfade feature of the SB2, which works really well on some playlists. However for some types of listening, such as symphonic or chamber music, this is not a good way for the tracks to change - there should be a brief silence between movements. Unfortunately it seems that the crossfade settings can only be accessed via the web UI and not controlled from the SB remote.

Would it be posible to include an option - perhaps under the Settings menu - to switch crossfade on or off via the SB itself?

davep

mwphoto
2005-05-26, 02:23
I'd like to second that vote with some extra functionality.

I would like to configure server so that when playing whole albums there is no crossfade (artists like Pink Floyd design the transitions so there's something to be listened to). However when playing playlists I do want crossfade.

This is mostly for the same reason, when playing a PF track in a playlist it's annoying for it to cut off abruptly.

I'm keen to get involved in development for this (being a perl developer by profession) but I haven't yet got to grips with how the thing hangs together to set this up.

I'm pretty certain changing the crossfade settings will be straightforward. However identifying whether an album or playlist is playing would be less easy.

Anyway those are my current ideas

Malcolm

stuorguk
2005-05-26, 06:25
I listen to a lot of audio books/radio plays, and I certainly dont want crossfading for that. I keep all my talk stuff in a sub folder under my main music library.

The same applies for shuffle play - I like to shuffle my music, but not my talk shows.

How about having a config text file that can be dropped into a directory, that informs slimserver how the files are to be played. A bit like .htaccess files for Apache.

lostboy
2005-05-26, 13:12
Like the idea - but rather than keep a separate file maybe store the required behaviour per track in meta-data - a tag.

Chris

stuorguk
2005-05-26, 13:25
Like the idea - but rather than keep a separate file maybe store the required behaviour per track in meta-data - a tag.

Chris

Then you would have to store it in every track. If Shuffle play was on, you wouldn't know which track would get played first (at least if your browsing by folder). IMO better to have a single config file, that can be dropped into a directory that would effect all tracks in that directory, and it's sub directories, just like with Apache.

In my case, I have a directory called 'Talk', which is where all my audio books, and radio plays are kept. It would be so neat if I could drop a single config file into that 'Talk' dir, that would override the Crossfade and Shuffle to off, from thereon down the directory tree.

mkosma
2005-05-27, 21:13
For my $0.02, a simple compromise solution that would serve my purposes would be an option to link crossfade to shuffle. It seems like I always want to crossfade when listening in shuffle mode, but never when listening in non-shuffle mode (e.g. listening to albums).

stuorguk
2005-06-21, 07:06
Excellent compromise - it gets my vote.

Stuart.

Phillip Kerman
2005-06-21, 07:56
>
> For my $0.02, a simple compromise solution that would serve
> my purposes
> would be an option to link crossfade to shuffle. It seems like I
> always want to crossfade when listening in shuffle mode, but
> never when
> listening in non-shuffle mode (e.g. listening to albums).
>
>
Yeah, but what about playlists? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Thanks,
Phillip

stuorguk
2005-06-21, 08:05
>
> For my $0.02, a simple compromise solution that would serve
> my purposes
> would be an option to link crossfade to shuffle. It seems like I
> always want to crossfade when listening in shuffle mode, but
> never when
> listening in non-shuffle mode (e.g. listening to albums).
>
>
Yeah, but what about playlists? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Thanks,
Phillip

Well, it's only a compromise. If you like the idea of having per-directory config files, then vote for it here:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1700

chrisgeary
2005-07-30, 03:51
I like the idea of this. I would, however, like to suggest that crossfading etc would be more useful (at least for my music collection) by genre. eg: for Indie, crossfading would rarely be required in normal play or shuffle play. However for chilled out mixes, crossfading is a must for shuffle play but not normal play.

Yannzola
2005-07-30, 06:44
Have any of you looked at the Dynamic Transition Updater plugin? Isn't this basically what you're looking for? I use it all the time... works great!

"This plugin looks at the songs before and after the current song in the playlist and determines whether an album is playing or if random tracks are playing. After that determination, it sets the Squeezebox2's transition behavior (crossfade, fade, etc) appropriately."

http://www.sutula.us/james/slimserver/

y.

chrisgeary
2005-07-31, 14:36
yep.. it is.. and it works brilliantly!