PDA

View Full Version : Opened an enhancement request to support replaygain tags

dborn
2005-04-13, 06:49
Hi all,

I've opened a new enhancement request for slimserver to support the use of replaygain tags for volume normalization (off, track, album). If you're interested in this feature, here is the link to the bug report: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1368 so that you can vote for it. :-)

I know this has been discussed before and I have searched for an enhancement request in the bugs database and found nothing. Please excuse the duplicate if it's already there.

What I would like to do is "analyse" all my MP3 tracks so that the "track" and "album"-wide normalization tags get written but not actually perform the normalization. This way, I could listen to a single album un-normalized or a playlist containing several albums (played in order) that would be normalized on a per-album basis or I could even have a party-shuffle (or background music, whatever) that I would prefer to have all songs normalized independently.

If I normalize my tracks beforehand, this becomes "permanent" and I cannot choose at playback time. I also prefer leaving my tracks unaltered musically and just have them play at different volumes at playback time only. To me, this seems like the most appropriate use of volume normalisation. And like transcoding from lossless to mp3 to play on a portable player, I can decide to produce a special version "on-the-fly" of volume-normalized files if I wish (and faster too since the analysis and tagging is already done in the source files!)

What do people think about this?
Daniel

dborn
2005-04-13, 07:03
Great, just noticed NOW that enhancement #1311 was entered a few days ago...

But this is for squeezebox2 support of flac replaygain tags... I'm suggesting a more widespread approach (probably more slimserver based or SS->SB2 effort). Anyway, my enhancement request is a litte different from the other one so I'll let the SlimDevices folks decide if it's a real duplicate and if so, which one should be removed... ;-)

Thanks,
Daniel

jth
2005-04-13, 08:17
This is a pretty common request and there is actually a request for enhancement filed quite some time ago:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=80

It's entitled 'normalization' but the idea is the same. Feel free to add comments to the RFE and vote for it using bugzilla.

dborn
2005-04-13, 10:22
Yep, that's pretty much it...
It just got my vote!

Thanks,
Daniel

michael
2005-04-13, 14:21
dborn <dborn.1nfk6d (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> But this is for squeezebox2 support of flac replaygain tags... I'm
> suggesting a more widespread approach (probably more slimserver based
> or SS->SB2 effort).

Did you see the message a couple weeks ago about getting madplay to
replaygain mp3s through slimserver? Along with the right version of
madplay, all it took was a change to convert.conf to enable it when
transcoding through slimserver. You can already do something similar
with flac as well. At the moment you have to hardwire it for either
track or album style gain, but I imagine it wouldn't take much to add
another $variable$ to convert.conf parsing. This also assumes you're
going to transcode everything you play, but I think the only other way
would be the sb2 firmware decoding replaygain approach suggested by
the other tickets.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.music.equipment.slimdevices.general/26934

-michael

--
"They always had a rational explanation for the haunting,
but they had a dog that could talk."
-anonymous comment about "scooby doo"

dborn
2005-04-14, 05:18
Michael,

Yes I did see it but frankly I didn't really understand the whole concept and didn't realize it could apply to me! :-)

At the moment, I applied the album normalization using MP3Gain to my files (effectively "hard-coding" it to "album" mode only) but was hoping in the future to "remove normalization changes" and just keep the tags...

Besides I'm running slimserver on a Buffalo Linkstation and don't think it would be up to transcoding & volume normalizing while playing with no hiccups in the delivery... ;-)

And, I'm not setup to compile (or cross-compile) any app for my Linkstation at the moment either!

I might give madplay a second look though, just for kicks...

Thanks,
Daniel

dborn
2005-04-15, 04:57
Well it appears that madplay is a windows-only executable. At least, I didn't find source code that could be compiled in Linux...

Guess I'll just have to wait for replaygain support in slimserver/squeezebox2! :-) God knows there's enough enhancement requests opened to keep this as a "hot" topic...

Daniel

jth
2005-04-15, 07:41
You can get source code for madplay and libmad (required library) here. It should compile fine on unix. You might also want to check your distro's package collection (if it has one).

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12349

gorman
2005-04-16, 04:48
Well it appears that madplay is a windows-only executable. At least, I didn't find source code that could be compiled in Linux...
Check this link: http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/#avail

If there's anything in my message that you didn't understand (I'm Andrea, author of the original madplay replaygain message, only now registered to the forums), give me a shout. I'd be more than happy to help. :)