PDA

View Full Version : The New Crack - Phillips RC9800i



Steve Payonzeck
2005-04-12, 10:54
http://www.homecontrol.philips.com/index.cfm?act=dspLearn

This is a pretty amazing remote that Phillips has
coming out - no idea if it can/will support
SlimDevices' products, but I asked them... waiting for
a response from Phillips.

Is there some way (other than emulating the Slim IR
remote) that this would work with SlimServer? Can
SlimServer incorporate UPnP protocols so this remote
would become like a mega-Sonos controller?

Thoughts, anyone?

DrNic
2005-04-12, 16:13
Looks good!
I have doubts that it will be able to control the Slimserver via its web interface control, as the SB is not a UPnP device (however inferior players such as the Netgear MP101 and Roku are UPnP devices).
It will be able to control it via the IR like though.....

Nic

mcauter
2005-04-13, 03:18
From my limited review, 'all' that needs to be done, would be to add uPnP server functionality to the Slimserver software. Now i have no idea what this would entail, but would significantly expand its compatability with other control devices.

I wonder how realistic this is?

Jonas Karlsson
2005-04-13, 03:43
This link might be of interest.

http://perlupnp.sourceforge.net/




On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 03:18 -0700, mcauter wrote:
> >From my limited review, 'all' that needs to be done, would be to add
> uPnP server functionality to the Slimserver software. Now i have no
> idea what this would entail, but would significantly expand its
> compatability with other control devices.
>
> I wonder how realistic this is?
>

--
Jonas Karlsson <jonas.karlsson (AT) bostreammail (DOT) com>

max.spicer
2005-04-13, 04:30
Could you not just install something like Twonky Vision? This is a uPnP server that will run on Linux and others. I don't know how uPnP works, but I'm guessing that the client basically pics a file off a filesystem and plays it, so SlimServer's pushed method wouldn't work anyway. This is all guesswork though - I'm very new to SlimServer!

fuzzyT
2005-04-13, 08:01
Jonas Karlsson wrote:
> This link might be of interest.
>
> http://perlupnp.sourceforge.net/

heh. did you notice who the admin/developer is on this one?

see:
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/perlupnp>

--rt

vidurapparao
2005-04-13, 16:57
ron thigpen wrote:

> Jonas Karlsson wrote:
>
>> This link might be of interest.
>>
>> http://perlupnp.sourceforge.net/
>
>
> heh. did you notice who the admin/developer is on this one?
>
> see:
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/perlupnp>


Heh. The project is a little stale - an offshoot of the original
RealSlim plugin. I think it's a good start to add UPnP support as and
when it makes sense to SlimServer, but the PerlUPnP project will
probably need a little TLC before it's ready for primetime.

*Sigh*, another personal project that isn't getting the attention it
needs. :-(

--Vidur

CouchPotatoe
2005-04-14, 05:27
TelCanto (latest beta) implements a UPnP media server and renderer and
supports the SlimServer :-)
This I think would mean that it could work already although 'flavours'
of compatability still abound in UPnP as it's so new

Kevin

mcauter wrote:

>>From my limited review, 'all' that needs to be done, would be to add
>uPnP server functionality to the Slimserver software. Now i have no
>idea what this would entail, but would significantly expand its
>compatability with other control devices.
>
>I wonder how realistic this is?
>
>
>
>