PDA

View Full Version : Pony???



max.spicer
2005-04-11, 13:22
Okay, at the risk of missing the obvious, what is it with Slim Devices and ponies? Is it some American in-joke, or do I just not watch the right television/read the write books/listen to the right radio?

Aaron Zinck
2005-04-11, 13:31
> Okay, at the risk of missing the obvious, what is it with Slim Devices
> and ponies? Is it some American in-joke, or do I just not watch the
> right television/read the write books/listen to the right radio?


No, Max, I'm sure you're quite hip--the joke arose after it was requested
that a rather demanding and obscure feature be added to the
slimserver/squeezebox. This elicited the rather fascetious response that
slimdevices ought to also include a pony in their next release. Thus, (and
in response to a bugzilla filing), slimdevices responded promptly and the
Pony has been delivered (both in the form of a discount and, apparently,
small toy ponies included with some SB2's).

vidurapparao
2005-04-11, 13:33
Okay, at the risk of missing the obvious, what is it with Slim Devices and ponies? Is it some American in-joke, or do I just not watch the right television/read the write books/listen to the right radio?

Blame Marc Sherman. See his post to the following thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=12067

and:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=918

Pat Farrell
2005-04-11, 13:35
On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 13:22 -0700, max.spicer wrote:
> Okay, at the risk of missing the obvious, what is it with Slim Devices
> and ponies? Is it some American in-joke,

Its a slim devices mailing list joke.
Folks periodically write in with their wishes.
The list gets more complex and starts to
miss the point of a "slim device"

So while we are wishing, we add the usual
impossible kid's wish of a pony.

When the SB2 was announced, "pony" was
the secret word, it got you a discount.

And rumours have it that the SB2s where
shipped with a toy pony, altho I've only
got a SB1 and a SB1g, so I'm not sure about
this part


--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Marc Sherman
2005-04-11, 13:38
vidurapparao wrote:
>
> Blame Marc Sherman. See his post to the following thread:
>
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=12067
>
> and:
>
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=918

I'm not sure where I picked it up from. I recall soon after posting
that, thinking to myself that it was a common expression, but then I
googled around for it, and could only find a reference to it on some
random blog that I don't ever recall having read before. I guess some
friends of mine had read that blog and infected me with the meme indirectly.

Sorry. :)

- Marc

Marc Sherman
2005-04-11, 13:39
Aaron Zinck wrote:
>
> No, Max, I'm sure you're quite hip--the joke arose after it was requested
> that a rather demanding and obscure feature be added to the
> slimserver/squeezebox. This elicited the rather fascetious response that
> slimdevices ought to also include a pony in their next release.

And for the record, that rather demanding and obscure feature made it in
to the SB2 after all -- and given the timelines, I suspect it was
already implemented by the time the thread started.

- Marc

Aaron Zinck
2005-04-11, 14:22
Ah, yes, I had actually forgotten what the requested feature even was! I've
enjoyed the humor, nonetheless.


"Marc Sherman" <msherman (AT) projectile (DOT) ca> wrote in
message news:425AE080.6060208 (AT) projectile (DOT) ca...
> Aaron Zinck wrote:
> >
> > No, Max, I'm sure you're quite hip--the joke arose after it was
requested
> > that a rather demanding and obscure feature be added to the
> > slimserver/squeezebox. This elicited the rather fascetious response
that
> > slimdevices ought to also include a pony in their next release.
>
> And for the record, that rather demanding and obscure feature made it in
> to the SB2 after all -- and given the timelines, I suspect it was
> already implemented by the time the thread started.
>
> - Marc

Steven Spies
2005-04-11, 15:10
The pony reference reminds me of an early Simpsons episode named
"Simpson and Delilah" It goes something like this:
Homer: [kindly] And what does my little girl want?
Lisa: An absence of mood swings and some stability in my life.
Homer: Uh... How about a pony?
Lisa: Okay!
It is one of my favorite Simpsons quotes and it still makes me laugh
when I think about it.

On Apr 11, 2005 2:22 PM, Aaron Zinck <azinck3 (AT) ufl (DOT) edu> wrote:
> Ah, yes, I had actually forgotten what the requested feature even was! I've
> enjoyed the humor, nonetheless.
>
> "Marc Sherman" <msherman (AT) projectile (DOT) ca> wrote in
> message news:425AE080.6060208 (AT) projectile (DOT) ca...
> > Aaron Zinck wrote:
> > >
> > > No, Max, I'm sure you're quite hip--the joke arose after it was
> requested
> > > that a rather demanding and obscure feature be added to the
> > > slimserver/squeezebox. This elicited the rather fascetious response
> that
> > > slimdevices ought to also include a pony in their next release.
> >
> > And for the record, that rather demanding and obscure feature made it in
> > to the SB2 after all -- and given the timelines, I suspect it was
> > already implemented by the time the thread started.
> >
> > - Marc
>
>

Ed Atlee
2005-04-12, 06:30
"Marc Sherman" <msherman (AT) projectile (DOT) ca> wrote in
message news:425AE03C.1030704 (AT) projectile (DOT) ca...
> I'm not sure where I picked it up from. I recall soon after posting
> that, thinking to myself that it was a common expression, but then I
> googled around for it, and could only find a reference to it on some
> random blog that I don't ever recall having read before. I guess some
> friends of mine had read that blog and infected me with the meme
indirectly.

Ever hear of Outlaw Audio? I was reading their forum on their new pre/pro,
the 990, and it was mentioned that when the last one (950) came out, there
was quite a bit of back and forth about a pony.

Ed