PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 6.0.1 under Ubuntu (Debian)



quick_snack
2005-04-11, 12:59
First of all, I managed to install and execute Slimserver 6.0.1 on my Ubuntu desktop. Slimserver 5.4.1 runned very well and I was hopefull for the release of 6.0.1.

6.0.1. is running fast and fine but I have 2 questions:

1.
Slimserver do not find all the files I have on the (FAT32) disk.
Where as 5.4.1. (6.0.1. Windows and 5.4.1. Ubuntu) find 7614 songs the slimserver 6.0.1. on Ubuntu only finds app. 7100 songs. I would like to know why the songs are not found, what songs we are talking about and what I need to do to solve this. I use directories and track-names with spaces and combined characters (,, etc). For Slimserver under Windows this is not a problem, for Slimserver 5.4.1. under Unbutu too.

2.
As an argument I use (amongs others) --pifile=/var/run/slimserver.pid'. Slimserver 5.4.1. does create a pid-file in the /var/run directory where as Slimserver 6.0.1. does not.

Thanks for reading,

quick_snack

mherger
2005-04-11, 13:06
[..]
> 1.
> Slimserver do not find all the files I have on the (FAT32) disk.
> Where as 5.4.1. (6.0.1. Windows and 5.4.1. Ubuntu) find 7614 songs the
> slimserver 6.0.1. on Ubuntu only finds app. 7100 songs. I would like to
> know why the songs are not found, what songs we are talking about and
> what I need to do to solve this. I use directory and tracknames with
> spaces and combined characters (,, etc). For Slimserver under Windows
> this is not a problem, for Slimserver 5.4.1. under Unbutu too.

Have you tried mounting your fat32 partition with the utf8 parameter (or
without it if it's used)?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

quick_snack
2005-04-11, 13:53
Have you tried mounting your fat32 partition with the utf8 parameter (or
without it if it's used)?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

No, but I didn't do also when using Slimserver 5.4.1. and that went perfect! Should I try this?

mherger
2005-04-11, 14:03
>> Have you tried mounting your fat32 partition with the utf8 parameter
>> (or without it if it's used)?
>
> No, but I didn't do also when using Slimserver 5.4.1. and that went

There were a lot of changes regarding special characters in v6. What perl
version is this?

> perfect! Should I try this?

I'm not sure it will help: I just tested the behaviour on a dual boot
machine. And it did not change anything. Both (iso8859-15 and utf8) worked
fine for my small (5 albums) test collection. I ripped/tagged my MP3s on
Linux (Grip/Easytag).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

max.spicer
2005-04-11, 14:14
2.
As an argument I use (amongs others) --pifile=/var/run/slimserver.pid'. Slimserver 5.4.1. does create a pid-file in the /var/run directory where as Slimserver 6.0.1. does not.
Probably stating the obvious, but is SlimServer running as a non-root user, and does that user have write access to /var/run? My SlimServer currently fails to create the pid file for exactly that reason. I haven't got around to either changing the pid directory or sorting out some nasty permissions hack. It would be nice if SlimServer created the file before surrendering its root privileges.

Marc Sherman
2005-04-11, 14:18
max.spicer wrote:
>
> Probably stating the obvious, but is SlimServer running as a non-root
> user, and does that user have write access to /var/run? My SlimServer
> currently fails to create the pid file for exactly that reason. I
> haven't got around to either changing the pid directory or sorting out
> some nasty permissions hack. It would be nice if SlimServer created
> the file before surrendering its root privileges.

A cleaner solution is to create a slimserver directory under /var/run
owned by the slimserver user, and put the pidfile inside the dir.

- Marc

max.spicer
2005-04-11, 14:33
Now that is stating the obvious! I didn't think of it though. :-( Thanks for the pointer.

quick_snack
2005-04-27, 17:06
[..]
> 1.
> Slimserver do not find all the files I have on the (FAT32) disk.
> Where as 5.4.1. (6.0.1. Windows and 5.4.1. Ubuntu) find 7614 songs the
> slimserver 6.0.1. on Ubuntu only finds app. 7100 songs. I would like to
> know why the songs are not found, what songs we are talking about and
> what I need to do to solve this. I use directory and tracknames with
> spaces and combined characters (,, etc). For Slimserver under Windows
> this is not a problem, for Slimserver 5.4.1. under Unbutu too.

Have you tried mounting your fat32 partition with the utf8 parameter (or
without it if it's used)?

--

Michael


Well, I have tried the utf8 parameter in the fstab for mounting fat32 partitions and...... it helped a bit! Now slimserver can recognize 7570 songs of the total of 7626.
It missed 3 albums, 56 tracks and 1 artist. Again, slimserver 5.4.x did not has this behaviour. I tested with slimserver 6.0.3 (tar.gz).
I will try to isolate the missed songs and come back to it later.

mherger
2005-04-27, 22:49
> Well, I have tried the utf8 parameter in the fstab for mounting fat32
> partitions and...... it helped a bit! Now slimserver can recognize 7570
> songs of the total of 7626.
> It missed 3 albums, 56 tracks and 1 artist. Again, slimserver 5.4.x did
> not has this behaviour. I tested with slimserver 6.0.3 (tar.gz).
> I will try to isolate the missed songs and come back to it later.

Start with that artist containing special characters... Bjrk? Mtley Cre?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

quick_snack
2005-05-01, 10:45
No, it's funnier than that.

I have 3 albums beginning with "..." :
- "...But Seriously" from Phil Collins
- "...All This Time" from Sting
- "...Nothing Like The Sun" also from Sting

Because I use a archive like <genre>/<artist>/<album>/<tracks> the albumnames are being used as directories. In linux filename's/directories with names beginnen with "." are hidden. I think that's the reason Slim 6.0 will not find the tracks in the directory. I remember slimserver 5.4 did this job very well.

Further, I have albums with names as "Best of", "Greatest hits'. I found slimserver 6.0 seeing all this albums as 1 album => it's define albums on their name in stead of combination name & artist.

quick_snack
2005-05-01, 14:27
Further, I have albums with names as "Best of", "Greatest hits'. I found slimserver 6.0 seeing all this albums as 1 album => it's define albums on their name in stead of combination name & artist.

Ok, I have resolved this. Slimserver 6.0 offers a couple of generally used albumtitles (user maintainable) and uses them to differ equially named albums.

OK, and I see now the list is dynamical !!!