PDA

View Full Version : SB2 - It Does The Business!

davep
2005-04-11, 08:34
Just got my SB2 today and dropped it straight in as a replacement for the SB1G which has been the main music source in my listening room for the past few months. All I can say is that I am VERY happy with the result, streaming flac from my linux box and feeding the digital output to my DAC and then the amp/speakers. I have never heard such good music reproduction in my own home before - and this is from someone who has been playing the stereo upgrade game for the past 30 years.

The other stuff just seems to work as it should - searching the db with no impact on the stream, a buffer fullness which seems locked on 100% the whole time, a wireless signal strength at 75% against the 45% best I could do with the SB1.

The new display is a treat - smooth clear fonts, foreign accented characters - and the representation of analog VDU meters just knocks me out, it is so cool.

So I just wanted to say Thanks to the folks at SlimDevices and everyone else who has been involved in the development and debugging of the SB2 and SS6.1. I may not be around this list so much from now on as I feel I'm going to be spending more of my free time listening to music.

davep

Jason Voegele
2005-04-11, 14:42
davep said:
>
> Just got my SB2 today and dropped it straight in as a replacement for
> the SB1G which has been the main music source in my listening room for
> the past few months. All I can say is that I am VERY happy with the
> result
> [...]
> So I just wanted to say Thanks to the folks at SlimDevices and everyone
> else who has been involved in the development and debugging of the SB2
> and SS6.1. I may not be around this list so much from now on as I feel
> I'm going to be spending more of my free time listening to music.

I'd like to second the "thank you" and the congratulations. SB2 has
worked like a charm for me, without a single drop-out after several days
of listening for several hours straight. Great job!

Thank you.
--
Jason Voegele
"There is an essential core at the center of each man and woman that
remains unaltered no matter how life's externals may be transformed
or recombined. But it's smaller than we think."
-- Gene Wolfe, The Book of the Long Sun

rwh
2005-04-11, 18:37
Likewise. Solid! Quite impressive! Well done, you slim guys!

Lars Chr. Hausmann
2005-04-13, 13:34
>>>>> "rwh" == rwh <rwh.1ncr0n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

rwh> Likewise. Solid! Quite impressive! Well done, you slim guys!

I'd like to add my compliments as well. Just got my SB2. Play nicely
:-)

I do, however, have problems getting it to join my WLAN towards my AP
which is madwifi driver running in Master mode. It doesnt want to
establish a connection :-/

Any body seen anything similar ?

/LCH
--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware.

vidurapparao
2005-04-13, 15:55
Lars Chr. Hausmann wrote:

>>>>>>"rwh" == rwh <rwh.1ncr0n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>
> rwh> Likewise. Solid! Quite impressive! Well done, you slim guys!
>
>I'd like to add my compliments as well. Just got my SB2. Play nicely
>:-)
>
>I do, however, have problems getting it to join my WLAN towards my AP
>which is madwifi driver running in Master mode. It doesnt want to
>establish a connection :-/
>
>Any body seen anything similar ?
>
>

Lars,

Could you file a bug at http://bugs.slimdevices.com under the
Squeezebox2 product category with full details of your madwifi setup
(e.g. wireless card, Linux flavor, whether bridging is on, etc.). Thanks.

--Vidur

chrisal
2005-04-14, 09:44
Hello,

The SB2 looks great and with the positive feedback it looks like it's finally time to replace the old Rio Receiver. One question though - does native flac playback fully gapless on the SB2 for dance mixes, live stuff etc.

davep
2005-04-14, 18:30
... One question though - does native flac playback fully gapless on the SB2 for dance mixes, live stuff etc.

It'll do even better than that, it can do crossfades between one song and the next.

davep

raintonr
2005-07-17, 02:49
I do, however, have problems getting it to join my WLAN towards my AP which is madwifi driver running in Master mode. It doesnt want to establish a connection :-/

Any body seen anything similar ?

Yup - I have the same setup and it doesn't work :( I see below we're asked to report this as a bug, so will do (a search for madwifi yeilds no hits in the bug DB right now).

Here's the link to that:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1830

Anyone managed to get round this?

P.S. It works when connected wired, aside from not being able to get a DHCP address. :-S

radish
2005-07-17, 08:24
Hello,

The SB2 looks great and with the positive feedback it looks like it's finally time to replace the old Rio Receiver. One question though - does native flac playback fully gapless on the SB2 for dance mixes, live stuff etc.

It depends. I have found that when streaming FLAC, there are often glitches on track transitions, not a gap, but a missing half second or so which sounds like a missed beat. This doesn't happen for me all the time, but enough to be annoying. I disabled flac/flac to force it to stream as PCM, and it works fine.

The bug report is http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1434. If you're a mix fan you may want to add a vote :)

kefa
2005-07-17, 08:47
davep said:
>
> Just got my SB2 today and dropped it straight in as a replacement for
> the SB1G which has been the main music source in my listening room for
> the past few months. All I can say is that I am VERY happy with the
> result
> [...]
> So I just wanted to say Thanks to the folks at SlimDevices and everyone
> else who has been involved in the development and debugging of the SB2
> and SS6.1. I may not be around this list so much from now on as I feel
> I'm going to be spending more of my free time listening to music.

I'd like to second the "thank you" and the congratulations. SB2 has
worked like a charm for me, without a single drop-out after several days
of listening for several hours straight. Great job!

Thank you.
--
Jason Voegele
"There is an essential core at the center of each man and woman that
remains unaltered no matter how life's externals may be transformed
or recombined. But it's smaller than we think."
-- Gene Wolfe, The Book of the Long Sun

After a couple of weeks of user incompetence, the SB2 is now spinning flac tracks like a dream.

BIG thanks to the Slimdevices crew for enabling nonstop house tunes in the sunshine - yeah!

Sadly, it's time for the CD player to hit the auction house :-( ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7530108668&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:UK:1

max.spicer
2005-07-17, 09:27
As long as your ripper get the gap detection right, the SB2 will do this flawlessly. I rip all my albums using EAC, and the SB2 will play them back without even the slightest detectable gaps between tracks (assuming there isn't meant to be a gap!). It works perfectly. Apparently, gapless playback is part of the FLAC standard, so the SB2 couldn't claim FLAC support if it didn't get this right.

Max

Hello,

MrC
2005-07-17, 09:46
I'm going to revert this post to its author's original desires, and mine, of sending thanks and kudos to the Squeezebox2 team.

I too received mine earlier in the week, set it up, and have been tickled since. I was leaving town for a couple of days, and my wife was returning that evening. I'd set up a large playlist, started the box on repeat all mode, and i received a phone call later in the evening at how nice a surprise the Squeezebox was. She loves her little Squeezbox 2! :-)

Setup was a breeze, even with WPA wireless, and it just worked.

Having used SoftSqueeze for long enough, the interface was a no-brainer. Even more surprising was how things that didn't make sense to me in SoftSqueeze suddenly made sense with the Squeezebox2 (the Power button for example).

I really like the tough rubber feel of the black unit - its a wonderful change from cheap plastic or tin and it feels wonderful. The display is very nice too.

While I've encountered a couple of minor glitches here and there (inputing a Space via the remote is not documented or obvious, alarm clock frooze w/the b2 server, unit was unresponsive to remote after alarm plugin fired alarm), these are very minor, to be expected in any complex product, and by no means discount the quality and value of the product. I mention these here only for balance.

The device is so cool, I can now see having one as our alarm clock/radio/tune player in the bedroom, one in the living room for whole-house audio, and one in each spare bedroom for guest, etc..

Fantastic job SlimDevices Team! Thanks!