PDA

View Full Version : More item display options, please.

Mike Hanson
2005-04-11, 06:27
I appreciate that I can control what's displayed in the playlist (i.e. song title, artist, album, etc.) However, there are many other places throughout the Slimserver interface, where items are listed without enough information or the ability to tweak it. The biggest problem is album lists... (see my message below)

max.spicer
2005-04-11, 08:44
Agreed. In my mental to-do list of things to change when I get round to hacking the code, adding display of the number of albums in each category is right at the top, alongside the ability to tick a few genre's and say play, or tick a few and say play everything else. I'm hoping this sort of thing would be easy to do...

kdf
2005-04-11, 10:51
Quoting "max.spicer" <max.spicer.1nbzgz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Agreed. In my mental to-do list of things to change when I get round to
> hacking the code, adding display of the number of albums in each
> category is right at the top, alongside the ability to tick a few
> genre's and say play, or tick a few and say play everything else. I'm
> hoping this sort of thing would be easy to do...
>
getting/displaying counts isn't terribly hard, but it will likely cost in
performance. There was the Olson skin prior to 6.0 that did this, and it was
indeed costly. with the db backend, it should be less costly now. The skin
was removed due to memory optimisations, since the skin required a few extra
modules loaded. if you want to see how that skin worked, just look through a
5.4.x release and look at Olson*.pm modules for the server-side.

adding checkboxes might be a bit more complicated since this would effectively
be changing all those templates into forms. Not only would the require a large
amount of skin rework, but also the backend changes to Pages.pm for providing
the needed objects, and HTTP.pm to process the form. The longer you stare at
the code, the less 'difficult' it would become, unless 'more than 10 lines of
code' does't qualify for the easy category.

If you decide to take it on, feel free to post any questions to have to the
developers forum/list for help.

-kdf

JJZolx
2005-04-11, 11:43
I think you guys are missing what Mike is saying. Forget album counts and checkboxes.

In Browse Albums there's no artist listed. I don't know about you, but in a collection with a few hundred (let alone a few thousand) albums I'm not going to recognize quite a few albums. I'm not talking about "Led Zeppelin II" and "Dark Side of the Moon", but "A Night at Birdland" and "Jazz at the Pawnshop". It's exactly the opposite problem from the Browse Artwork interface where no textual album information is displayed - who can recognize the low-rez thumbnails in a collection of many hundreds of albums?
________
AR50 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_AR50)

Mike Hanson
2005-04-11, 13:16
Sorry, I had a bad moment with my browser when I posted that message, and I didn't realize that the partial message had made it to the board. I just realized now that it was here.

I think you guys are missing what Mike is saying. Forget album counts and checkboxes.

In Browse Albums there's no artist listed.
Exactly. When seeing a list of albums, I want to see at least the first artist associated with the album (preferrably all of them, including composer, normalized to unique entries). The year would be nice too, and the option to see the artwork would be the icing on the cake.

I know there's a good chance that not everyone would want this, so it needs to be settable in the server options, just like the song list is now.

I've tried hacking through the skins, but this proved a bit daunting (and I'm a professional database developer). Besides, any hacks that I did would need to be redone with each new version of the skins.

What we need is some type of formula, or a virtual table (i.e. SQL VIEW) using an expression passed in by the SQL database creation scripts. This expression would be settable in the SlimServer UI, passed into the database creation scripts, and the skins could simply request the value from the VIEW, rather than formatting things every time.

I think you get the idea.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-