PDA

View Full Version : Artist Names Switched Around in 6.1 on Mandrake



Dave Pilgrim
2005-04-06, 08:44
I have been running 6.0 nightlies every few days trying to cure a
problem I had with more than 200 of my tracks getting assigned under "No
Artist and "No Album" in the web interface and on the SB1 itself.
Tonight I installed 6.1.0 from 04-06 and wiped the sql.db then did a
rescan. I took a look at the result and thought I had got it licked as
there was no more "No Artist" BUT then I saw that under Browse Artist
the usual ABCDE... index at the top now read B A L J B C I C B A C A H
K M L H J D K M J P C B J M D C L S L T M K F J B R C S C A D B C B C E
J M C A C R S T A C A N A D A B D B C B J E B C D J D J E J E F J F G J
G H J I J K J L J D J M J K C K L M N S M P M A N O R O P S P R B R S E
T V W Y. On closer investigation it turned out that many listings
(possibly all but I haven't looked at the whole lot yet) had artists
names switched around. Example - Under the artist entry for John
Coltrane in the Browse Artist page I found "John Coltrane - Magnificat
from Te Deum", the secomd half of this pairing being an album by Arvo
Part. No actual Coltrane albums were listed under his name.

Looking at it again it seems that the albums are actually sorted as if
the artists names were correct but just with seemingly random change of
the artist name. The B A L J B C I C B A C A H K M L H J.. etc at the
top of the list reflects the sequence of the initial letters of the
false names.

I recall seeing somebody else with a similar problem a few days ago but
thought that this was now in the "fixed, download the latest nightly"
category.

System is Mandrake 10.1 on a 2.8GHz pentium using 6.1.0 from 04-06.

Davep

Dan Sully
2005-04-06, 08:50
* Dave Pilgrim shaped the electrons to say...

>I recall seeing somebody else with a similar problem a few days ago but
>thought that this was now in the "fixed, download the latest nightly"
>category.
>
>System is Mandrake 10.1 on a 2.8GHz pentium using 6.1.0 from 04-06.

Dave - have you tried restarting your server?

-D
--
<dmercer> Because that is what our industry does.
Churns out useless shit. Followed by inferior re-implementations of useless shit.

Dave Pilgrim
2005-04-06, 08:56
Dan Sully wrote:

> * Dave Pilgrim shaped the electrons to say...
>
>> I recall seeing somebody else with a similar problem a few days ago
>> but thought that this was now in the "fixed, download the latest
>> nightly" category.
>>
>> System is Mandrake 10.1 on a 2.8GHz pentium using 6.1.0 from 04-06.
>
>
> Dave - have you tried restarting your server?
>
> -D

Dan,
I hadn't, but have now. I am running a wipe cache - do you think I need
to blow the db away first?

Davep

Dan Sully
2005-04-06, 08:58
* Dave Pilgrim shaped the electrons to say...

>I hadn't, but have now. I am running a wipe cache - do you think I need
>to blow the db away first?

Yes - give that a try. There's a known issue with Wipe Cache, which I've had
trouble tracking down, and the symptoms are like what you've seen.

Can I ask your reason for running Wipe Cache in the first place?

Thanks.

-D
--
<dmercer> Because that is what our industry does.
Churns out useless shit. Followed by inferior re-implementations of useless shit.

Dave Pilgrim
2005-04-06, 09:03
Dan Sully wrote:

> * Dave Pilgrim shaped the electrons to say...
>
>> I hadn't, but have now. I am running a wipe cache - do you think I
>> need to blow the db away first?
>
>
> Yes - give that a try. There's a known issue with Wipe Cache, which
> I've had
> trouble tracking down, and the symptoms are like what you've seen.
>
> Can I ask your reason for running Wipe Cache in the first place?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -D

Dan,
there was no need to delete the .db file as a wipe cache did the trick.
I tend to see this a more serious version of Rescan and more likely to
fix things when the lsistings are messed up. Are you suggesting the
Wipe Cache was actually the cause of the mess up in the fist place?
Could have been as I was using it to attack the "No Artist" listings
which started this whole thing for me.

Davep

Dan Sully
2005-04-06, 09:07
* Dave Pilgrim shaped the electrons to say...

>there was no need to delete the .db file as a wipe cache did the trick.
>I tend to see this a more serious version of Rescan and more likely to
>fix things when the lsistings are messed up. Are you suggesting the
>Wipe Cache was actually the cause of the mess up in the fist place?
>Could have been as I was using it to attack the "No Artist" listings
>which started this whole thing for me.

Yes - I am right now. Until I fix the bug.

I'm assuming you had a blank entry under "No Artist" ?

-D
--
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Dave Pilgrim
2005-04-06, 09:14
Dan Sully wrote:

>
> I'm assuming you had a blank entry under "No Artist" ?
>
> -D

Actually I had a non-blank entry there as I do have a single wav file of
a channel balance test ripped from one of those stereo set-up albums -
this has not been tagged so appears under "No Artist".

Right now 6.1.0 looks good for me. Thanks a lot for your quick help
that probably saved me from several hours of cursing.

Davep

Dan Sully
2005-04-06, 09:21
* Dave Pilgrim shaped the electrons to say...

>Actually I had a non-blank entry there as I do have a single wav file of
>a channel balance test ripped from one of those stereo set-up albums -
>this has not been tagged so appears under "No Artist".

Ok - the best way to get rid of that is to delete / move / tag that file, and
then access it via Browse Music Folder (for tag updates), or if you've moved
/ deleted it, via the Browse Artist link. SlimServer will notice that it's
been changed or removed, and mark it to clean up in the database.

>Right now 6.1.0 looks good for me. Thanks a lot for your quick help
>that probably saved me from several hours of cursing.

Welcome!

-D
--
You know, for kids.