PDA

View Full Version : SB2 Display scrolling issue?



Charles Stanton
2005-04-05, 10:39
Hi -

I have the SB2 and the 4-4 6.01 maintenance release.

The SB2 display seems to scroll the 'now playing' song info on its own
schedule.

It does scroll but sometimes after 2-3 minutes and then sometimes
won't scroll at all for many minutes.

I tried adjusting Player Settings > Display > Scroll Pause (i lowered
it to 2 seconds).

Maybe I am missing a setting or something???

FYI on my experience: As an old tim SliMP3 owner (2001?), I have
found constant improvement in hardware and software/capabilites and
SB2 sounds better than ever. No complaints here!

kdf
2005-04-05, 10:46
Quoting Charles Stanton <shaboyi (AT) gmail (DOT) com>:

> Hi -
>
> I have the SB2 and the 4-4 6.01 maintenance release.
>
> The SB2 display seems to scroll the 'now playing' song info on its own
> schedule.
>
> It does scroll but sometimes after 2-3 minutes and then sometimes
> won't scroll at all for many minutes.
>
> I tried adjusting Player Settings > Display > Scroll Pause (i lowered
> it to 2 seconds).
>
> Maybe I am missing a setting or something???

You probably haven't missed this one, but there is also a setting for
ScrollPixels, which can be used for smoothing/speed/bandwidth control. The
scrolling of now playing is still being done by the server (may be possible to
have SB2 do it client side - MAYBE). As such, I'd suggest looking at your
signal strengh over time. I've been having no trouble with SB2 until the last
couple days where I have noticed jumpy scrolling as well. In my case, it is
clearly a wireless problem as all teh other clients are fine (running
8002.11B), but the SB2 on 802.11G is sputtering the scroll, and even dropped
right off (leaving me with no wake-up this morning). My ibook is also being
randomly dumped from my network. I suspect that I have a new network in the
neighbourhood. That will make 8 now :( Getting a bit crowded out there at
2.4G.

-kdf

Charles Stanton
2005-04-05, 11:40
thanks. I have a wired one - so there are not any network issues.
In anycase, I changed a couple of other settings (increased the
pixels, used 'full font') and it started working (???).

I had another question - Is there anyway to get the display to scroll
Tilte - Artist - Albulm or something else (based on the formatting
settings in the server)?

On the wireless, has any thought been given to including 802.11a? i
install wireless networks and in some locations (nyc) there are over
20 visible networks and - regardless of signal strength - the channel
congestion is such that they barely work at all (to that add 2.4 GHz
phones, microwaves, etc). so we have started installing 802.11a
networks....and it really solves the problem. Just a thought as the
congestion in the 2.4 band is only getting worse.....(thus linksys
recently came out with an a/b/g router and in conjuction with the
Cisco a/b/g cards, it is a great solution).

On Apr 5, 2005 1:46 PM, kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com> wrote:
> Quoting Charles Stanton <shaboyi (AT) gmail (DOT) com>:
>
> > Hi -
> >
> > I have the SB2 and the 4-4 6.01 maintenance release.
> >
> > The SB2 display seems to scroll the 'now playing' song info on its own
> > schedule.
> >
> > It does scroll but sometimes after 2-3 minutes and then sometimes
> > won't scroll at all for many minutes.
> >
> > I tried adjusting Player Settings > Display > Scroll Pause (i lowered
> > it to 2 seconds).
> >
> > Maybe I am missing a setting or something???
>
> You probably haven't missed this one, but there is also a setting for
> ScrollPixels, which can be used for smoothing/speed/bandwidth control. The
> scrolling of now playing is still being done by the server (may be possible to
> have SB2 do it client side - MAYBE). As such, I'd suggest looking at your
> signal strengh over time. I've been having no trouble with SB2 until the last
> couple days where I have noticed jumpy scrolling as well. In my case, it is
> clearly a wireless problem as all teh other clients are fine (running
> 8002.11B), but the SB2 on 802.11G is sputtering the scroll, and even dropped
> right off (leaving me with no wake-up this morning). My ibook is also being
> randomly dumped from my network. I suspect that I have a new network in the
> neighbourhood. That will make 8 now :( Getting a bit crowded out there at
> 2.4G.
>
> -kdf
>

kdf
2005-04-05, 12:02
Quoting Charles Stanton <shaboyi (AT) gmail (DOT) com>:

> thanks. I have a wired one - so there are not any network issues.
> In anycase, I changed a couple of other settings (increased the
> pixels, used 'full font') and it started working (???).
>
> I had another question - Is there anyway to get the display to scroll
> Tilte - Artist - Albulm or something else (based on the formatting
> settings in the server)?

player settings, display. you can choose from a list of titleformats that are
set in the server settings-formatting.


>
> On the wireless, has any thought been given to including 802.11a?

I'm certain thought has been given. I can't say what those thoughts were :)