PDA

View Full Version : something funny



Phillip Kerman
2005-04-03, 12:53
> It's whacked. I did a clear cache and rescan... now it's
> totally messed up.
Correction: I did a "Wipe Cache"

Also, works now that I restarted the service (for the Nth time today)

Thanks,
Phillip

JJ
2005-04-03, 13:27
I'm seeing the same problems as well. (6.0.1 4/2 nightly on Windows).
Albums listed under the wrong artist, artists that don't exist (old,
misspelled flac tag that wouldn't leave the db/cache), empty albums when
browsing by artist. Wiping the cache didn't clear the problems. Only
restarting the server would fixed it. Happened a couple of times
yesterday as I added albums and tried to rescan.

"If you use the tag database you may want to clear the disk based cache of
tag information. This option does that and then rescans your music files
(in the same way as the rescan button does)."

What exactly are the "tag database" and the "disk based cache" of tag
information? Why isn't cached information automatically cleared on a
rescan rather than making it a manual operation?



----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Kerman" <lists (AT) phillipkerman (DOT) com>
To: "'Slim Devices Discussion'" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 1:53 PM
Subject: [slim] something funny


>> It's whacked. I did a clear cache and rescan... now it's
>> totally messed up.
> Correction: I did a "Wipe Cache"
>
> Also, works now that I restarted the service (for the Nth time today)

Steve Baumgarten
2005-04-03, 18:17
> I'm seeing the same problems as well. (6.0.1 4/2 nightly on Windows).
> Albums listed under the wrong artist [...]

Same here. Problems started this afternoon while playing an album,
Beck's "Guero" (highly recommended, by the way). The first couple of
tracks would play, but then it wouldn't proceed to the next; at that
point both the web interface and the player showed that the server was
stopped on the last track (i.e., as if the server jumped to the end of
last track and, since I don't have "Repeat" turned on, stopped playing).

Couldn't figure out what was going on. Figured maybe it had something to
do with a non-ASCII character in one of the tracks, so I tried an
entirely different album. Same problem: a couple tracks would play, then
it'd zip right to the end of the album and stop.

Then things got weirder: I started noticing that if I did a browse by
album in the web interface and clicked on an album name, it'd show no
tracks.

OK, so "wipe cache". Well, that was a disaster -- as it started building
the artist list things were just all confused and all over the place.
Strange artist/album combos; the A B C D [...] list at the top of the
page had dozens of letters in random order.

Finally just killed the server, deleted the database, and restarted. At
that point all was fine -- the Beck album played through exactly as
expected, lots of other albums played -- no problems the rest of the
afternoon.

This is with the 6.0 release version of the server running on XP and an
SBG.

(For what it's worth, I'd never seen behavior quite like that before, in
a 6.0 nightly or in 5.4.)

SBB