PDA

View Full Version : Artist Sort Order



2005-03-31, 07:54
First post - be gentle :)

I just upgraded to 6.0, primarily to see if it fixed my problems with
non-latin characters (I have a number of albums by european artists with
accented names which would always look crazy on 5.4). Since installing
everything looks OK (and scans are certainly faster), but one thing seems
rather broken - Browse by Artist. The order of artists in the list seems
completly random (both on the squeezebox and on the web interface). Even
more entertainingly, the quick list at the top of the web interface (which
should read ABCDEF...) actually spans nearly the entire page and is just a
random collection of letters.

I did a quick search of the archives and didn't see anything similar
reported, am I alone? I don't think I'm running anything weird - 6.0
release on XP professional SP2, with ~8000 tracks (mainly ogg, some flac).
Everything's tagged nicely, wiping the cache doesn't seem to help (in fact,
when I just tried it it seemed to get worse!). Under 5.4 everything was
fine, and even under 6.0 it's only Artists which have this problem, Albums
are correctly sorted.

Suggestions?

Dan Sully
2005-03-31, 10:10
* slim (AT) adamreeve (DOT) com shaped the electrons to say...

>I just upgraded to 6.0, primarily to see if it fixed my problems with
>non-latin characters (I have a number of albums by european artists with
>accented names which would always look crazy on 5.4). Since installing
>everything looks OK (and scans are certainly faster), but one thing seems
>rather broken - Browse by Artist. The order of artists in the list seems
>completly random (both on the squeezebox and on the web interface). Even
>more entertainingly, the quick list at the top of the web interface (which
>should read ABCDEF...) actually spans nearly the entire page and is just a
>random collection of letters.
>
>I did a quick search of the archives and didn't see anything similar
>reported, am I alone? I don't think I'm running anything weird - 6.0
>release on XP professional SP2, with ~8000 tracks (mainly ogg, some flac).
>Everything's tagged nicely, wiping the cache doesn't seem to help (in fact,
>when I just tried it it seemed to get worse!). Under 5.4 everything was
>fine, and even under 6.0 it's only Artists which have this problem, Albums
>are correctly sorted.

Adam - could you send me your database? I'll take a look.

-D
--
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Michel Fombellida
2005-03-31, 10:55
Funny enough, it is the contrary for me, since moving to 6.0 I lost 4 artists
whose name contains special characters. See my bug report 1248.

Michel

narya
2005-03-31, 22:33
> Even more entertainingly, the quick list at the top of the web interface
> (which should read ABCDEF...) actually spans nearly the entire page
> and is just a random collection of letters.

I've noticed this behaviour in previous versions (5.3 and 5.4) as
well. I was able to track it down to my editing the "Articles to
ignore" list in connection with using the iTunes database as the
source for slimserver. When I removed the german articles (der, die,
das) and restored the original list all was fine again.

I never filed this as a bug though :-/

Alexander.