PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Completely random play



Craig, James (IT)
2005-03-30, 03:36
If you're using iTunes, I wrote a plugin to take a track-at-a-time feed
from the 'Party Shuffle' playlist.
I find that I use this a lot as it's easier & quicker than working with
a huge playlist,
although my girlfriend hates it because she likes to hear whole albums
in a random order.

Anyway I imagine this is now fairly trivial with the database backend
- you should submit an enhancement request or look for an existing one
to vote on
Eg.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=549
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=380


James

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Steve
Sent: 30 March 2005 11:23
To: Slim Devices Discussion
Subject: [slim] Feature Request: Completely random play

Aah that would be a show stopper then :-) Is there any FREE way of
getting the functionality requested?

cheers

steve


On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:21:00 +0100, Chris Brooking
<Cbrooking (AT) solidworks (DOT) com> wrote:
> Pretty much the same, but it doesn't have the API that's needed to
> integrate with Slimserver.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Steve
> Sent: 30 March 2005 11:01
> To: Slim Devices Discussion
> Subject: [slim] Feature Request: Completely random play
>
> But how well does the free version work?
>
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:30:08 -0800, Dan Sully <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>
> wrote:
> > * Steve shaped the electrons to say...
> >
> > >I find myself playing the same albums/tracks most of the time and
> > >would like to just tell slimserver to pick me a random list. I know
> > >moodlogic does this but you have to pay to activate tracks with
> > >moodlogic and there are still lots of tracks that aren't "moodlogic
> > >aware".
> > >
> > >I would like to be able to tell slimserver to either give me x
random
> > >tracks or create a playlist that lasts x minutes.
> >
> > Steve - MusicMagicMixer has a feature like this - it integrates with
> SlimServer.
> >
> > -D
> > --
> > <ZangTT> berkeley db - it's mostly about the hash()
> >

Steve
2005-03-30, 04:38
I've had a quick look at MusicMagic Mixer and this looks suspiciously
like MoodLogic (which I already pay for)

Can someone who's paid for this (musicmagic) confirm whether I can
just produce a random playlist or does it, like moodlogic, rely on you
choosing a seed artist or genre to base the playlist on?

cheers

Steve


On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:36:38 +0100, Craig, James (IT)
<James.Craig (AT) morganstanley (DOT) com> wrote:
> If you're using iTunes, I wrote a plugin to take a track-at-a-time feed
> from the 'Party Shuffle' playlist.
> I find that I use this a lot as it's easier & quicker than working with
> a huge playlist,
> although my girlfriend hates it because she likes to hear whole albums
> in a random order.
>
> Anyway I imagine this is now fairly trivial with the database backend
> - you should submit an enhancement request or look for an existing one
> to vote on
> Eg.
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=549
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=380
>
> James
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Steve
> Sent: 30 March 2005 11:23
> To: Slim Devices Discussion
> Subject: [slim] Feature Request: Completely random play
>
> Aah that would be a show stopper then :-) Is there any FREE way of
> getting the functionality requested?
>
> cheers
>
> steve
>
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:21:00 +0100, Chris Brooking
> <Cbrooking (AT) solidworks (DOT) com> wrote:
> > Pretty much the same, but it doesn't have the API that's needed to
> > integrate with Slimserver.
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> > [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Steve
> > Sent: 30 March 2005 11:01
> > To: Slim Devices Discussion
> > Subject: [slim] Feature Request: Completely random play
> >
> > But how well does the free version work?
> >
> > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:30:08 -0800, Dan Sully <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>
> > wrote:
> > > * Steve shaped the electrons to say...
> > >
> > > >I find myself playing the same albums/tracks most of the time and
> > > >would like to just tell slimserver to pick me a random list. I know
> > > >moodlogic does this but you have to pay to activate tracks with
> > > >moodlogic and there are still lots of tracks that aren't "moodlogic
> > > >aware".
> > > >
> > > >I would like to be able to tell slimserver to either give me x
> random
> > > >tracks or create a playlist that lasts x minutes.
> > >
> > > Steve - MusicMagicMixer has a feature like this - it integrates with
> > SlimServer.
> > >
> > > -D
> > > --
> > > <ZangTT> berkeley db - it's mostly about the hash()
> > >

Dan Sully
2005-03-30, 09:38
* Steve shaped the electrons to say...

>I've had a quick look at MusicMagic Mixer and this looks suspiciously
>like MoodLogic (which I already pay for)
>
>Can someone who's paid for this (musicmagic) confirm whether I can
>just produce a random playlist or does it, like moodlogic, rely on you
>choosing a seed artist or genre to base the playlist on?

MusicMagic actually does an audio analysis of your music, if the main server
hasn't seen it before. Based on that information, it can map how much an
album / artist / track / genre "sounds like" another.

AFAIK, MoodLogic isn't that sophisticated. Additionally, ML only runs on
Windows, while MMM runs on Windows, OSX & Linux.

-D
--
<ZangTT> berkeley db - it's mostly about the hash()

Marc Sherman
2005-03-30, 11:58
Dan Sully wrote:
>
> MusicMagic actually does an audio analysis of your music, if the main
> server
> hasn't seen it before. Based on that information, it can map how much an
> album / artist / track / genre "sounds like" another.

Has anyone ever seen any open-source code that does something similar to
this? I'm thinking an OS plugin that does similar stuff to musicmagic
would be a fun project.

- Marc

Jason Voegele
2005-04-01, 14:59
Marc Sherman said:
> Dan Sully wrote:
>>
>> MusicMagic actually does an audio analysis of your music, if the main
>> server
>> hasn't seen it before. Based on that information, it can map how much an
>> album / artist / track / genre "sounds like" another.
>
> Has anyone ever seen any open-source code that does something similar to
> this? I'm thinking an OS plugin that does similar stuff to musicmagic
> would be a fun project.

I know that Amarok, a music player for KDE, has this feature. I do not
know if that is useful to you or not, but thought I'd point it out.

In general, Amarok has lots of nifty features that might be of some
inspiration for SlimServer/SqueezeBox. I've been considering writing an
Amarok plugin that would allow it to work like a SoftSqueeze and play my
music served by SlimServer. That would be nirvana. :-)

--
Jason Voegele
"There is an essential core at the center of each man and woman that
remains unaltered no matter how life's externals may be transformed
or recombined. But it's smaller than we think."
-- Gene Wolfe, The Book of the Long Sun

Marc Sherman
2005-04-01, 15:09
Jason Voegele wrote:
>
> I know that Amarok, a music player for KDE, has this feature. I do not
> know if that is useful to you or not, but thought I'd point it out.

Does it? It looks from the FAQ like it only uses Audioscrobbler for
recommendations, not analysis of the actual MP3 data.

The FAQ does talk about "analyzers", but from context it seems that
that's what they call their visualization plugins.

- Marc

Jason Voegele
2005-04-01, 15:55
On Friday 01 April 2005 05:09 pm, Marc Sherman wrote:
> Jason Voegele wrote:
> > I know that Amarok, a music player for KDE, has this feature. I do not
> > know if that is useful to you or not, but thought I'd point it out.
>
> Does it? It looks from the FAQ like it only uses Audioscrobbler for
> recommendations, not analysis of the actual MP3 data.

Oh, my apologies, I thought you were asking about "smart playlists" for some
reason. Going back and reading your original message, I'm not quite sure
where I got that idea. :-)

--
Jason Voegele
Orders subject to approval.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQBCTdFUHe0AH0X+WAIRApmeAJ0UY0ilvUmi5Hm/nHedSvOJd986MACfX7Xv
iLPfBqKRjY3t8FO2Eb6WS3U=
=dXij
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Steve
2005-04-04, 03:46
I've found that as soon as I enable the MusicMagic API on my PC and
then start MusicMagic, my cpu load jumps to 100%. I left this all over
the weekend thinking it was probably analysing music but it's still
like it now.

Anyone else seen this? It makes the slimserver really sluggish.

On Mar 30, 2005 5:38 PM, Dan Sully <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> wrote:
> * Steve shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >I've had a quick look at MusicMagic Mixer and this looks suspiciously
> >like MoodLogic (which I already pay for)
> >
> >Can someone who's paid for this (musicmagic) confirm whether I can
> >just produce a random playlist or does it, like moodlogic, rely on you
> >choosing a seed artist or genre to base the playlist on?
>
> MusicMagic actually does an audio analysis of your music, if the main server
> hasn't seen it before. Based on that information, it can map how much an
> album / artist / track / genre "sounds like" another.
>
> AFAIK, MoodLogic isn't that sophisticated. Additionally, ML only runs on
> Windows, while MMM runs on Windows, OSX & Linux.
>
> -D
> --
> <ZangTT> berkeley db - it's mostly about the hash()
>

Dan Sully
2005-04-04, 09:07
* Steve shaped the electrons to say...

>I've found that as soon as I enable the MusicMagic API on my PC and
>then start MusicMagic, my cpu load jumps to 100%. I left this all over
>the weekend thinking it was probably analysing music but it's still
>like it now.
>
>Anyone else seen this? It makes the slimserver really sluggish.

What does MusicMagic say? It should tell you if it's finished analyzing your
music. Check the "about box" for more information.

-D
--
<dr.pox> does whistling in the dark make me go blind faster?

kdf
2005-04-04, 09:33
Quoting Dan Sully <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:

> * Steve shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >I've found that as soon as I enable the MusicMagic API on my PC and
> >then start MusicMagic, my cpu load jumps to 100%. I left this all over
> >the weekend thinking it was probably analysing music but it's still
> >like it now.
> >
> >Anyone else seen this? It makes the slimserver really sluggish.
>
> What does MusicMagic say? It should tell you if it's finished analyzing your
> music. Check the "about box" for more information.
>

When first installed, musicmagic can take, literally, a week or more to fully
analyse your music. During this time, the server will detect the library as
having changed and re-run the musicmagic import (to get the latest of the
active music details). The default scan interval is 60 seconds (which works
well after analysis si complete), but you may want to set that to a much higher
value if immediate reaction to changes is not what you want. Try going into
server settings->musicmagic (once enabled) and set the scan interval to
something much higher (3600 for an hour, for eg)

-kdf