PDA

View Full Version : Non Roman charaters. How?



Avi Schwartz
2005-03-22, 22:26
Ripped some tracks from an Israeli CD. Tagged the tracks in Hebrew.
The slimserver 6.x web interface correctly shows the Hebrew text. The
squeeze box however shows a bunch of question marks instead. I thought
that version 6 was supposed to allow the display of UTF-8 characters.
Am I wrong?

Avi

--
Avi Schwartz
http://public.xdi.org/=avi.schwartz

Dan Sully
2005-03-22, 23:29
* Avi Schwartz shaped the electrons to say...

>Ripped some tracks from an Israeli CD. Tagged the tracks in Hebrew.
>The slimserver 6.x web interface correctly shows the Hebrew text. The
>squeeze box however shows a bunch of question marks instead. I thought
>that version 6 was supposed to allow the display of UTF-8 characters.
>Am I wrong?

Avi - although we support UTF-8 throughout the server, we don't have all the
fonts (yet) for them on the player display.

-D
--
<ZangTT> berkeley db - it's mostly about the hash()

Avi Schwartz
2005-03-23, 07:20
Dan Sully wrote:

> * Avi Schwartz shaped the electrons to say...
>
>> Ripped some tracks from an Israeli CD. Tagged the tracks in Hebrew.
>> The slimserver 6.x web interface correctly shows the Hebrew text.
>> The squeeze box however shows a bunch of question marks instead. I
>> thought that version 6 was supposed to allow the display of UTF-8
>> characters. Am I wrong?
>
>
> Avi - although we support UTF-8 throughout the server, we don't have
> all the
> fonts (yet) for them on the player display.
>
> -D

Any idea when is this coming? I'd hate to tag my Hebrew CDs twice.
What type of font is it? Can we use our own font or is the font part of
the firmware?

Avi

--
Avi Schwartz
http://public.xdi.org/=avi.schwartz

Dan Sully
2005-03-23, 11:51
* Avi Schwartz shaped the electrons to say...

> Any idea when is this coming? I'd hate to tag my Hebrew CDs twice. What
> type of font is it? Can we use our own font or is the font part of the
> firmware?

I can't say exactly - it's on the list, but it requires some amount of work.

Right now the fonts are .bmp files (see the Graphics/ directory) that map
onto the character codes they correspond to.

I have on my list to explore the use of TrueType fonts for doing non-latin1
fonts, but it's not going to happen for 6.0

Christian's suggestion in the next message regarding the multiple ARTIST tags
is a reasonable workaround for now.

-D
--
<Nigel> Please refrain from fearing the reaper.

Michael Amster
2005-03-23, 21:19
Avi Schwartz wrote:

> Dan Sully wrote:
>
>> * Avi Schwartz shaped the electrons to say...
>>
>>> Ripped some tracks from an Israeli CD. Tagged the tracks in
>>> Hebrew. The slimserver 6.x web interface correctly shows the Hebrew
>>> text. The squeeze box however shows a bunch of question marks
>>> instead. I thought that version 6 was supposed to allow the display
>>> of UTF-8 characters. Am I wrong?
>>
>>
>>
>> Avi - although we support UTF-8 throughout the server, we don't have
>> all the
>> fonts (yet) for them on the player display.
>>
>> -D
>
>
> Any idea when is this coming? I'd hate to tag my Hebrew CDs twice.
> What type of font is it? Can we use our own font or is the font part
> of the firmware?
>
> Avi
>
Avi:

Another interesting issue is that the scrolling will be backwards for
Hebrew - maybe there should be a left to right scroller for right to
left languages like Hebrew....

-MA

Avi Schwartz
2005-03-23, 22:23
Michael Amster wrote:
> Avi Schwartz wrote:
>
>> Dan Sully wrote:
>>
>>> * Avi Schwartz shaped the electrons to say...
>>>
>>>> Ripped some tracks from an Israeli CD. Tagged the tracks in
>>>> Hebrew. The slimserver 6.x web interface correctly shows the Hebrew
>>>> text. The squeeze box however shows a bunch of question marks
>>>> instead. I thought that version 6 was supposed to allow the display
>>>> of UTF-8 characters. Am I wrong?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Avi - although we support UTF-8 throughout the server, we don't have
>>> all the
>>> fonts (yet) for them on the player display.
>>>
>>> -D
>>
>>
>>
>> Any idea when is this coming? I'd hate to tag my Hebrew CDs twice.
>> What type of font is it? Can we use our own font or is the font part
>> of the firmware?
>>
>> Avi
>>
> Avi:
>
> Another interesting issue is that the scrolling will be backwards for
> Hebrew - maybe there should be a left to right scroller for right to
> left languages like Hebrew....

I am aware of the direction issue, and while it will be awkward, it
still is better then not have Hebrew letters at all. I am sure the same
problem exists with Arabic, Japanese, etc. but what about Cyrillic
fonts, can they be displayed currently? It looks to me like the font
issue is something the Slim folks need to put more emphasis on, and not
just because of Hebrew, of course. It is a big world out there and many
are not using a Latin font. Just look at the Arab speaking world and
Chinese and Japanese and Russian. Big markets.

BTW, as far as the scrolling direction I have a feeling it is a much
smaller issue for the developers then the font issue. Of course there
will still be the problem of how to decide which direction to scroll on
a track by track basis. But then that can be some kind of tag.

Avi