PDA

View Full Version : SoftSqueeze - Increasing the button sizes.



Chris Laplante
2005-03-21, 17:02
Hello,

What would be involved in making the buttons for a given skin (slim or
excession) larger? I would like to make them about 100-200% larger for
improved use on a touchscreen. They are almost big enough now, but I
would like to make them fat-finger friendly.

Thanks,

-Chris

Chris Laplante
2005-03-22, 11:10
Hello,

What would be involved in making the buttons for a given skin (slim or
excession) larger? I would like to make them about 100-200% larger for
improved use on a touchscreen. They are almost big enough now, but I
would like to make them fat-finger friendly.

Thanks,

-Chris

Chris Laplante
2005-03-22, 11:53
Indeed,

However at least for me, the buttons are even smaller than the others.
Also it seems pretty plain (no insult at all do whomever did the
skin). It would look much nicer to have the excession or slim skin. I
have tried all of the skins, at 800x600 they can be used with some
care, but seeing this is the only thing I am going to run on these
machines there is no reason not to take full advantage of the screen
real estate.

Thanks,

-chris



On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:18:33 -0700, Jason <jason (AT) pagefamily (DOT) net> wrote:
> There is already a touch screen skin.
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> > [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of
> > Chris Laplante
> > Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:11 AM
> > To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> > Subject: [slim] SoftSqueeze - use on a touchpanel.
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > What would be involved in making the buttons for a given skin (slim or
> > excession) larger? I would like to make them about 100-200%
> > larger for improved use on a touchscreen. They are almost big
> > enough now, but I would like to make them fat-finger friendly.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Chris
> >

rtitmuss
2005-03-22, 15:23
Chris Laplante wrote:

>Hello,
>
>What would be involved in making the buttons for a given skin (slim or
>excession) larger? I would like to make them about 100-200% larger for
>improved use on a touchscreen. They are almost big enough now, but I
>would like to make them fat-finger friendly.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Chris
>
>
You can edit the existing softsqueeze skins without too much difficulty.
In brief:

1) The java .jar file format is the same as a zip file, so rename
SoftSqueeze.jar to SoftSqueeze.zip and unzip the file.
2) You will find a 'skin' folder in the zip file. This contains all the
png images and xml definition files for the skins. You can then use an
image editor to alter the images, and a text editor to edit the xml
files. The xml is used to bind a button to an action, and to adjust
where the button appears in the window. I think it should be reasonably
easy to follow.
3) In the META-INF folder delete the SOFTSQUE.RSA and SOFTSQUE.SF files.
These files are digital signatures to make sure the .jar file is not
tampered with. As you are tampering with the jar file you need to delete
them otherwise Java won't start Softsqueeze. Keep the MANIFEST.MF file.
4) Zip the files backup, and rename to SoftSqueeze.jar. A useful check
is to unzip the jar file again to make sure the paths are correct.
5) Send me the modified skin to include with Softsqueeze :)

Feel free to ask more questions if needed.

Regards,
Richard

Chris Laplante
2005-03-22, 15:45
Looks good / straightforward.

I was doing a diff of the XMLs for excession & excession-large, and
can see the differences are pretty clear.

Is there any science to picking the X and Y coordinate values, or just
resize the images and replace them by trial and error? I would want to
scale all of the buttons by the same ratio.

Thanks,

-chris


On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:23:07 +0000, Richard Titmuss
<richard.titmuss (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
> Chris Laplante wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >What would be involved in making the buttons for a given skin (slim or
> >excession) larger? I would like to make them about 100-200% larger for
> >improved use on a touchscreen. They are almost big enough now, but I
> >would like to make them fat-finger friendly.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >-Chris
> >
> >
> You can edit the existing softsqueeze skins without too much difficulty.
> In brief:
>
> 1) The java .jar file format is the same as a zip file, so rename
> SoftSqueeze.jar to SoftSqueeze.zip and unzip the file.
> 2) You will find a 'skin' folder in the zip file. This contains all the
> png images and xml definition files for the skins. You can then use an
> image editor to alter the images, and a text editor to edit the xml
> files. The xml is used to bind a button to an action, and to adjust
> where the button appears in the window. I think it should be reasonably
> easy to follow.
> 3) In the META-INF folder delete the SOFTSQUE.RSA and SOFTSQUE.SF files.
> These files are digital signatures to make sure the .jar file is not
> tampered with. As you are tampering with the jar file you need to delete
> them otherwise Java won't start Softsqueeze. Keep the MANIFEST.MF file.
> 4) Zip the files backup, and rename to SoftSqueeze.jar. A useful check
> is to unzip the jar file again to make sure the paths are correct.
> 5) Send me the modified skin to include with Softsqueeze :)
>
> Feel free to ask more questions if needed.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
>

rtitmuss
2005-03-22, 15:57
Chris Laplante wrote:

>Looks good / straightforward.
>
>I was doing a diff of the XMLs for excession & excession-large, and
>can see the differences are pretty clear.
>
>Is there any science to picking the X and Y coordinate values, or just
>resize the images and replace them by trial and error? I would want to
>scale all of the buttons by the same ratio.
>
>
Well I spent last night resizing the excession and lcd skins for
Softsqueeze2. I used a pencil, paper and calculator. Then came the trial
and error (and a little cursing!). Not too scientific :).

Regards,
Richard

Chris Laplante
2005-03-22, 16:10
Should I do my resizing off of a dev branch source then? It would be
nice if people could potentially use the skin when I'm done, and not
have it be old news.

It always amazes me what better support I get for free on open source
projects than the for-pay product support I deal with at work.

Thanks,

-chris



On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:57:41 +0000, Richard Titmuss
<richard.titmuss (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
> Chris Laplante wrote:
>
> >Looks good / straightforward.
> >
> >I was doing a diff of the XMLs for excession & excession-large, and
> >can see the differences are pretty clear.
> >
> >Is there any science to picking the X and Y coordinate values, or just
> >resize the images and replace them by trial and error? I would want to
> >scale all of the buttons by the same ratio.
> >
> >
> Well I spent last night resizing the excession and lcd skins for
> Softsqueeze2. I used a pencil, paper and calculator. Then came the trial
> and error (and a little cursing!). Not too scientific :).
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
>

rtitmuss
2005-03-22, 16:24
Chris Laplante wrote:

>Should I do my resizing off of a dev branch source then? It would be
>nice if people could potentially use the skin when I'm done, and not
>have it be old news.
>
>
Yes, if you could work from the slimserver trunk that would be good. You
need to be working from Softsqueeze 2.0a15, from last nights nightly or
using svn.

If you have the Java JDK and Apache ant installed then it is easier to
compile Softsqueeze from source instead of unzipping/zipping the jar
file. Let me know if you need instructions.

Regards,
Richard

Chris Laplante
2005-03-31, 22:58
Richard,

Do you have the slim skin buttons images in higher res files at all?
With the images available, 200% scale is barely passible. Else I will
have to create images from scratch.

Thanks,

-chris


On Mar 22, 2005 3:24 PM, Richard Titmuss <richard.titmuss (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
> Chris Laplante wrote:
>
> >Should I do my resizing off of a dev branch source then? It would be
> >nice if people could potentially use the skin when I'm done, and not
> >have it be old news.
> >
> >
> Yes, if you could work from the slimserver trunk that would be good. You
> need to be working from Softsqueeze 2.0a15, from last nights nightly or
> using svn.
>
> If you have the Java JDK and Apache ant installed then it is easier to
> compile Softsqueeze from source instead of unzipping/zipping the jar
> file. Let me know if you need instructions.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
>

rtitmuss
2005-04-03, 14:01
Chris Laplante wrote:

>Richard,
>
>Do you have the slim skin buttons images in higher res files at all?
>With the images available, 200% scale is barely passible. Else I will
>have to create images from scratch.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-chris
>
>
No I don't have any of the original artwork. Graham can you send them to
Chris (if you still around)?

Richard