PDA

View Full Version : Why should I return my Roku Soundbridge?

Michael Bowyer
2005-03-17, 05:14
Ben, I hear you -

I have a similar conundrum myself, and I'm begining to loose faith. I don't have a Linux server full of FLAC or Ogg-Vorbis music in the cellar, I have a Mac, iTunes, and a mixture of MP3 and AAC files.

AFAIK, SqueezeBox cannot browse/play directly from an iTunes share, unless Slim provide DAAP support (http://daap.sourceforge.net/). Until they do, you need to run SlimServer - which really just seems like a duplication of features already offered by iTunes but with SB support and a webbased GUI. SlimServer 6 is in Beta and still requires some work, 5.4.1 should be stable but is much slower at searching. The advantage of SlimServer (for me) is that it's independant of the logged in user.

Apple also provide a far cheaper hardware solution, with 100% iTunes integration - albeit sans display.

Sally Shears
2005-03-19, 07:04
To me the big question is whether you want to control your music from
the server computer.

If you do, then Apple, iTunes, and Airport Express is a very good
solution. It's only easy route if you have Apple DRM'd music.

I want my MP3 music on a server computer in the closet. I have plenty
of old machines that do this just fine with a new (big) hard disk. I
control my music mostly with the remote and sometimes with a browser
on another computer (not the music server). This makes SlimServer &
player the best solution.

-- Sally

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:14:28 +0100, Michael Bowyer <mbowyer (AT) mac (DOT) com> wrote:
> Ben, I hear you -
>
> I have a similar conundrum myself, and I'm begining to loose faith. I don't have a Linux server full of FLAC or Ogg-Vorbis music in the cellar, I have a Mac, iTunes, and a mixture of MP3 and AAC files.
>
> AFAIK, SqueezeBox cannot browse/play directly from an iTunes share, unless Slim provide DAAP support (http://daap.sourceforge.net/). Until they do, you need to run SlimServer - which really just seems like a duplication of features already offered by iTunes but with SB support and a webbased GUI. SlimServer 6 is in Beta and still requires some work, 5.4.1 should be stable but is much slower at searching. The advantage of SlimServer (for me) is that it's independant of the logged in user.
>
> Apple also provide a far cheaper hardware solution, with 100% iTunes integration - albeit sans display.
>