PDA

View Full Version : Just noise from Softsqueeze



Craig
2005-03-15, 05:09
Using Softsqueeze from 15/03 nightly's and all the previous versions since V6a all I'm getting output is white noise. I've tried playing wav, aac and mp3 and they're all the same. Changing the Audio mixer and buffer size have no effect either.

I'm using XPPro with an MAudio soundcard. Softsqueeze V1 worked fine.

Thanks
Craig

rtitmuss
2005-03-15, 15:00
Craig wrote:

> Using Softsqueeze from 15/03 nightly's and all the previous
> versions since V6a all I'm getting output is white noise. I've tried
> playing wav, aac and mp3 and they're all the same. Changing the Audio
> mixer and buffer size have no effect either.
>
> I'm using XPPro with an MAudio soundcard. Softsqueeze V1 worked fine.
>
> Thanks
> Craig

Craig, does mp3 work if you play it as soon as Softsqueeze is started? I
am need to work out if this is a problem after trying to play aac files,
or a more general audio problem.

Thanks,
Richard

Craig
2005-03-15, 15:23
Richard Titmuss wrote:
> Craig wrote:
>
>> Using Softsqueeze from 15/03 nightly's and all the previous
>> versions since V6a all I'm getting output is white noise. I've tried
>> playing wav, aac and mp3 and they're all the same. Changing the Audio
>> mixer and buffer size have no effect either.
>>
>> I'm using XPPro with an MAudio soundcard. Softsqueeze V1 worked
>> fine. Thanks
>> Craig
>
> Craig, does mp3 work if you play it as soon as Softsqueeze is
> started? I am need to work out if this is a problem after trying to
> play aac files, or a more general audio problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>
Richard
Well today mp3s and wavs play fine before and after playing an aac file but
it looks like the SoftSqueeze version has changed to 2.0a13 since yesterday.
aac files are still just noise, there's a clip here
http://www.the-solicitors-band.co.uk/craig/sqnoise.mp3

don't go selling it as some new dance track :-)

Craig

rtitmuss
2005-03-15, 15:49
Craig wrote:

> Richard
> Well today mp3s and wavs play fine before and after playing an aac
> file but it looks like the SoftSqueeze version has changed to 2.0a13
> since yesterday.
> aac files are still just noise, there's a clip here
> http://www.the-solicitors-band.co.uk/craig/sqnoise.mp3
>
> don't go selling it as some new dance track :-)

Ouch, don't listen to that through headphones!!

It looks like I need to get aac files working on my server to look at
this, and rip a few tracks in aac. You'll need to give me a few days to
look at this one ...

Regards,
Richard

Craig
2005-03-16, 09:35
Richard Titmuss wrote:
> Craig wrote:
>
>> Richard
>> Well today mp3s and wavs play fine before and after playing an aac
>> file but it looks like the SoftSqueeze version has changed to 2.0a13
>> since yesterday.
>> aac files are still just noise, there's a clip here
>> http://www.the-solicitors-band.co.uk/craig/sqnoise.mp3
>>
>> don't go selling it as some new dance track :-)
>
> Ouch, don't listen to that through headphones!!
>
> It looks like I need to get aac files working on my server to look at
> this, and rip a few tracks in aac. You'll need to give me a few days
> to look at this one ...
>
> Regards,
> Richard


No problem,
Give me a shout if you need more info (or a few aac files).

Craig

rtitmuss
2005-03-21, 16:39
Craig wrote:

> Well today mp3s and wavs play fine before and after playing an aac
> file but it looks like the SoftSqueeze version has changed to 2.0a13
> since yesterday.
> aac files are still just noise, there's a clip here
> http://www.the-solicitors-band.co.uk/craig/sqnoise.mp3
>
> don't go selling it as some new dance track :-)
>
I have just checked in a fix for aac playback with Softsqueeze. Look for
it in tomorrow's nightly.

Regards,
Richard

PS this version has fixed excession and lcd skins as well.

Craig
2005-03-22, 10:45
Richard Titmuss wrote:
> Craig wrote:
>
>> Well today mp3s and wavs play fine before and after playing an aac
>> file but it looks like the SoftSqueeze version has changed to 2.0a13
>> since yesterday.
>> aac files are still just noise, there's a clip here
>> http://www.the-solicitors-band.co.uk/craig/sqnoise.mp3
>>
>> don't go selling it as some new dance track :-)
>>
> I have just checked in a fix for aac playback with Softsqueeze. Look
> for it in tomorrow's nightly.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
> PS this version has fixed excession and lcd skins as well.

Hi Richard,

Well it's playing the aac files now but using Primary Sound Driver or my
M-Audio card as the Audio mixer there is still quite a bit of noise with the
music.
Selecting the Java Sound Engine as the mixer, there is no noise but the
level is lower, maybe as much as 6dB.

Craig

rtitmuss
2005-03-22, 15:27
Craig wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Well it's playing the aac files now but using Primary Sound Driver or
> my M-Audio card as the Audio mixer there is still quite a bit of noise
> with the music.
> Selecting the Java Sound Engine as the mixer, there is no noise but
> the level is lower, maybe as much as 6dB.
>
> Craig

Does this get better if you reduce the volume in Softsqueeze and crank
up your amp instead? With some music/soundcards I think Softsqueeze can
distort at higher levels. However I found when I lowered the maximum
level some people complained they could not hear anything! The Java
Sound Engine does play at a lower level, so this is distortion is not
normally a problem.

Regards,
Richard

Craig
2005-03-22, 16:05
Richard Titmuss wrote:
> Craig wrote:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> Well it's playing the aac files now but using Primary Sound Driver or
>> my M-Audio card as the Audio mixer there is still quite a bit of
>> noise with the music.
>> Selecting the Java Sound Engine as the mixer, there is no noise but
>> the level is lower, maybe as much as 6dB.
>>
>> Craig
>
> Does this get better if you reduce the volume in Softsqueeze and crank
> up your amp instead? With some music/soundcards I think Softsqueeze
> can distort at higher levels. However I found when I lowered the
> maximum level some people complained they could not hear anything!
> The Java Sound Engine does play at a lower level, so this is
> distortion is not normally a problem.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
Actually it's the other way, it sounds better louder and it's not
distorting.
It's more like antialiasing or quantising noise, like there's something
wrong in the digital to analogue converstion

Craig

rtitmuss
2005-03-28, 14:21
On 22 Mar 2005, at 23:05, Craig wrote:

> Actually it's the other way, it sounds better louder and it's not
> distorting.
> It's more like antialiasing or quantising noise, like there's
> something wrong in the digital to analogue converstion
>

Craig,

When you play aac files with Softsqueeze2 the slimserver transcodes
these files to flac. It would be useful to find out where the
distortion is happening. Could you try converting a file first to wav
(using mov123), and then to flac (using flac). When you play these
files in Softsqueeeze do you still get the distortion?

Thanks,
Richard

Craig
2005-03-29, 08:11
Richard Titmuss wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2005, at 23:05, Craig wrote:
>
>> Actually it's the other way, it sounds better louder and it's not
>> distorting.
>> It's more like antialiasing or quantising noise, like there's
>> something wrong in the digital to analogue converstion
>>
>
> Craig,
>
> When you play aac files with Softsqueeze2 the slimserver transcodes
> these files to flac. It would be useful to find out where the
> distortion is happening. Could you try converting a file first to wav
> (using mov123), and then to flac (using flac). When you play these
> files in Softsqueeeze do you still get the distortion?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

No Problem Richard
I'll get it done and let you know

Thanks
Craig

Craig
2005-03-31, 13:17
Richard Titmuss wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2005, at 23:05, Craig wrote:
>
>> Actually it's the other way, it sounds better louder and it's not
>> distorting.
>> It's more like antialiasing or quantising noise, like there's
>> something wrong in the digital to analogue converstion
>>
>
> Craig,
>
> When you play aac files with Softsqueeze2 the slimserver transcodes
> these files to flac. It would be useful to find out where the
> distortion is happening. Could you try converting a file first to wav
> (using mov123), and then to flac (using flac). When you play these
> files in Softsqueeeze do you still get the distortion?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Hi Richard,
I've tried that and all file types sound worse than using the Java mixer.
Maybe i'm being too picky, afterall most people will have Soundblasters, the
M-Audio is a great deal better than those.

I can post some clips again if you want.

Craig