Blaine Bragg
2005-03-14, 10:25
Hi,

I am thinking about picking up a SLIM, but really do not want to keep a PC
on all the time. I currently have all my media in a /SHARE folder on my
Tritton NAS which can live free standing on my network (Thus I can use my
existing Audiotron without any PC's running). I am fairly technical, but
can't code like many of you! :-)

Has anybody tried this and provide me with some guidance?

Thanks in advance,

Blaine

Aaron Zinck
2005-03-14, 12:10
Tritton NAS and SlimServer SWYou would have to actually install Slimserver on the NAS itself. I know nothing about the Tritton but know that several users have gotten Slimserver 5.4 running on their NAS's. The Buffalo Linkstation is the only one that I've repeatedly heard success reports with. If you're real familiar with Linux you may be able to hack the box's root account and install Slimserver. Search the list for Buffalo Linkstation to find more information about doing this.
"Jason" wrote
An instance of Slim Server must be running to drive the Squeezeboxen. The best option for you would be to purchase a very small PC and load it with Linux to run the Slim server. A 1ghz CPU 256MB RAM computer can be had for about $200'ish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Blaine Bragg
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 10:26 AM
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Tritton NAS and SlimServer SW

Hi,

I am thinking about picking up a SLIM, but really do not want to keep a PC on all the time. I currently have all my media in a /SHARE folder on my Tritton NAS which can live free standing on my network (Thus I can use my existing Audiotron without any PC's running). I am fairly technical, but can't code like many of you! J

Has anybody tried this and provide me with some guidance?

Thanks in advance,

Blaine

------------------------------------------------------------------------------