PDA

View Full Version : Problem starting 5.4.0 on FC3



Patrick Dixon
2005-03-13, 04:02
Anyone got any ideas on this please?

Surely someone most know how to get 5.4 working properly on FC3?

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of Patrick Dixon
Sent: 12 March 2005 11:01
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Problem starting 5.4.0 on FC3


I'm trying to get slimserver V5.4.0 running on an FC3 machine, prior to
moving up to V6 when my SB2 arrives.

I can start slimserver from the command line once I'm logged in, but it
doesn't seem to want to start up from the init scripts on boot.

The slimserver.log contains the messages:

mkdir /root//usr: Permission denied at
/usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/Template/Provider.pm line 377
mkdir /root//usr: Permission denied at
/usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/Template/Provider.pm line 377
mkdir /root//usr: Permission denied at
/usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/Template/Provider.pm line 377
mkdir /root//usr: Permission denied at
/usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/Template/Provider.pm line 377
mkdir /root//usr: Permission denied at
/usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/Template/Provider.pm line 377
mkdir /root//usr: Permission denied at
/usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/Template/Provider.pm line 377

Obviously /root//usr doesn't look like a valid directory, but how and where
is the string being generated?

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Patrick

kdf
2005-03-13, 04:12
Quoting Patrick Dixon <patrickdixon (AT) btinternet (DOT) com>:

> Anyone got any ideas on this please?
>
> Surely someone most know how to get 5.4 working properly on FC3?

sorry Patrick, 5.4.0 was a long time ago, and a lot has gone on since. Dan put
up a release of 5.4.1 which fixes a lot of issues with 5.4.0 (I can't remember
them all). Could you please try that and come back with results on that?

-kdf

Dan Sully
2005-03-13, 12:23
* Patrick Dixon shaped the electrons to say...

>Using "perl -w ./slimserver.pl" from "/usr/local/slimserver" I get the
>following error output:
>
>Any ideas?

Patrick - please download and run:

http://svn.slimdevices.com/*checkout*/trunk/server/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

-D
--
For every new fool-proof invention there is a new and improved fool.

Dan Sully
2005-03-13, 12:59
* Patrick Dixon shaped the electrons to say...

>Dan, thanks for the instant response!
>
>I let it do whatever it did in the /usr/local/slimserver directory???
>
>I got one Warning:
>prerequisite AppConfig 1.55 not found

that's ok.

>(Do you really want me to email you with the tar.gz file?)

Yes - please.

>Slimserver now starts from the command line, but with the following warning:
>
>Use of uninitialised value in string eq at /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.8/lib/site-perl/5.8.6/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm line 16.

Also harmless.

>So what have I done and why did I have to do it?

You've installed the required modules for SlimServer - because we can't ship
the binary modules for every different variation of Linux distribution, they
weren't included by default for your Linux.

After I have the tarball, I'll be able to tell you more.

Thanks.

-D
--
<faisal> my life is collapsing to what will soon be NEGATIVE INTEGER degrees of separation.

Dan Sully
2005-03-13, 15:52
* Patrick Dixon shaped the electrons to say...

>File sent.
>
>I'm now getting a Slimserver crash when I try to connect SoftSqueeze 1.14 (running on a Win XP PC elsewhere on the network).
>
>Error is:
>
>"Your vendor has not defined Socket macro IPPROTO_TCP, used at /usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 77"

This sounds like FC3 is very broken. Has anyone else running FC3 had this issue?

-D
--
I'm really looking forward to this hangover.

Michael Peters
2005-03-14, 03:20
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:52:51 -0800, Dan Sully <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> wrote:

>
> This sounds like FC3 is very broken. Has anyone else running FC3 had this issue?

When I installed the slimserver rpm for 6.0xB it did not work.
The server kept on crashing.

What I did was a lot of work, but it now works on fc3 - well, I don't
own a squeezebox yet (yes, it WILL be ordered THIS MONTH - and then
I'll have to wait behind everyone who ordered already - but :shrug:

But it is working with RealPlayer as a client.

I updated a bunch of perl modules that came on the system - and that
was more that just the needed modules, because I want to submit some
of them to Fedora Extras so I needed to make sure they had all the
useful dependencies etc. installed so they would build and test
against them.

That involved installed postgresql so I can run make test on the two
perl packages that had a perl::DBI test.

I'll try to post more details on the weekend.
But that's the problem.

FC user - voice yourself on these bugs so FC4 gets what it needs:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=150359
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=141099
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=136494

The other perl packages hopefully will get into Fedora Extras - this
weekend I'm going to clean up the spec files I wrote for them and try
to get them in.

--
http://mpeters.us/

John Rakestraw
2005-03-14, 04:59
Michael Peters wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:52:51 -0800, Dan Sully <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> wrote:
>
>>This sounds like FC3 is very broken. Has anyone else running FC3 had this issue?
>
> When I installed the slimserver rpm for 6.0xB it did not work.
> The server kept on crashing.
>

I'm a Linux user (but definitely not a power user) -- thought I'd point
out that I installed Slimserver 6.0b1 on FC3 last week and it hasn't
crashed since. (I have seen problems (e.g., in playlist display) that
have apparently been fixed in the nightly releases.)

It's clear that those reporting problems know more about this stuff than
I do, and (though I don't remember doing it) it's possible that I
updated the perl modules others mentioned as crucial when I
updated/installed other programs. But it seems relevant that it's
running on my machine.

--John

Michael Peters
2005-03-14, 10:32
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 06:59:44 -0500, John Rakestraw
<lists (AT) johnrakestraw (DOT) com> wrote:
> >
>
> I'm a Linux user (but definitely not a power user) -- thought I'd point
> out that I installed Slimserver 6.0b1 on FC3 last week and it hasn't
> crashed since. (I have seen problems (e.g., in playlist display) that
> have apparently been fixed in the nightly releases.)
>
> It's clear that those reporting problems know more about this stuff than
> I do, and (though I don't remember doing it) it's possible that I
> updated the perl modules others mentioned as crucial when I
> updated/installed other programs. But it seems relevant that it's
> running on my machine.

attrpms and dag and freshrpm's often have updated versions of core packages.
If you use them (I don't) then maybe your perl modules already were
what they needed to be (I don't know what they offer updates for)

It's also possible that my issue wasn't the perl modules, but was the
slim 6.0b I had been trying - after getting all the perl modules
compiled and installed, I started working a spec file for possible
submission to rpm.livna.org - and started with the latest (at the
moment) nightly build.

Since I changed two things (installed perl modules and the build of
slim) I can't be *positive* it was the perl modules. I do have a
suspicion though.

--
http://mpeters.us/

John Rakestraw
2005-03-15, 07:04
Michael Peters wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 06:59:44 -0500, John Rakestraw
> <lists (AT) johnrakestraw (DOT) com> wrote:
>
>
> attrpms and dag and freshrpm's often have updated versions of core packages.
> If you use them (I don't) then maybe your perl modules already were
> what they needed to be (I don't know what they offer updates for)

After I posted I wondered about this. I use dag and freshrpm for my yum
upgrades. Surely there's an easy way to find out if I have these updated
perl modules, but I won't have time to figure out how until the weekend.
If it matters, if it only takes a minute once one knows how, and if
someone can tell me how, I can run a quick check tonight.