PDA

View Full Version : 60b1 buggy?!



2005-03-12, 05:02
Tried the new version 60b1 yesterday, but immediately downgraded to 5.4.1
after running into serious bugs, such as an empty display trying to 'Browse
Music Folder'.
Isn't it a bit too early to present this version as the present 'stable'
download on the site? Too much haste in presenting new product can also kill
it on the long run.


I sure hope the version will be as stable as 5.4.1 when the SB2 comes out...
(Although in fact I still have some trouble with 5.4.1 when searching for
track titles)

Bye Peter

Roy Owen
2005-03-12, 05:05
Did you rescan your library? I've found that I need to do that with
6.0 every time I install a nightly. There are so many changes each
day that it's just a wise thing to do.


On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:02:51 +0100, slim (AT) vcooten (DOT) nl <slim (AT) vcooten (DOT) nl> wrote:
> Tried the new version 60b1 yesterday, but immediately downgraded to 5.4.1
> after running into serious bugs, such as an empty display trying to 'Browse
> Music Folder'.
> Isn't it a bit too early to present this version as the present 'stable'
> download on the site? Too much haste in presenting new product can also kill
> it on the long run.
>
> I sure hope the version will be as stable as 5.4.1 when the SB2 comes out...
> (Although in fact I still have some trouble with 5.4.1 when searching for
> track titles)
>
> Bye Peter
>
>

kdf
2005-03-12, 05:06
Quoting slim (AT) vcooten (DOT) nl:

> Tried the new version 60b1 yesterday, but immediately downgraded to 5.4.1
> after running into serious bugs, such as an empty display trying to 'Browse
> Music Folder'.
> Isn't it a bit too early to present this version as the present 'stable'
> download on the site? Too much haste in presenting new product can also kill
> it on the long run.

its a beta. there are problems, but it works very well on the systems that were
testing the alpha. as such, a move to beta is needed to move the testing to a
wider audience.

>
>
> I sure hope the version will be as stable as 5.4.1 when the SB2 comes out...
> (Although in fact I still have some trouble with 5.4.1 when searching for
> track titles)
>

that woudl be the hope, but 5.4.1 is a lot more mature than 6.0. 6.0b1 is
probably already more stable than 5.0. a more fair commparison will be when it
hits 6.4.

however, its more fun to watch ppl discuss they own ideas...

-kdf

Phil Karn
2005-03-12, 05:25
slim (AT) vcooten (DOT) nl wrote:
> Tried the new version 60b1 yesterday, but immediately downgraded to 5.4.1

Where's 5.4.1? I don't see it in http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads. I
only see 5.4.0 and the v6 betas.

If there's a "stable", no-frills version of the server software, I would
very much like to use it.

Phil

Roy Owen
2005-03-12, 06:03
http://slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/SlimServer_5_4_x_v2005-03-12


On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:25:31 -0800, Phil Karn <karn (AT) ka9q (DOT) net> wrote:
> slim (AT) vcooten (DOT) nl wrote:
> > Tried the new version 60b1 yesterday, but immediately downgraded to 5.4.1
>
> Where's 5.4.1? I don't see it in http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads. I
> only see 5.4.0 and the v6 betas.
>
> If there's a "stable", no-frills version of the server software, I would
> very much like to use it.
>
> Phil
>

Jack Coates
2005-03-12, 07:47
kdf wrote:
> Quoting slim (AT) vcooten (DOT) nl:
>
>
>>Tried the new version 60b1 yesterday, but immediately downgraded to 5.4.1
>>after running into serious bugs, such as an empty display trying to 'Browse
>>Music Folder'.
>>Isn't it a bit too early to present this version as the present 'stable'
>>download on the site? Too much haste in presenting new product can also kill
>>it on the long run.
>
>
> its a beta. there are problems, but it works very well on the systems that were
> testing the alpha. as such, a move to beta is needed to move the testing to a
> wider audience.
>
>
>>
>>I sure hope the version will be as stable as 5.4.1 when the SB2 comes out...
>>(Although in fact I still have some trouble with 5.4.1 when searching for
>>track titles)
>>
>
>
> that woudl be the hope, but 5.4.1 is a lot more mature than 6.0. 6.0b1 is
> probably already more stable than 5.0. a more fair commparison will be when it
> hits 6.4.
>
> however, its more fun to watch ppl discuss they own ideas...
>
> -kdf

Oh, this is fun? I forgot. I'm thinking of changing my new mail sound
for the Discuss list to "The sky is falling! The sky is falling! We must
tell the king!" :)

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

Dan Sully
2005-03-12, 13:37
* Peter Rothstein shaped the electrons to say...

>Yeah, I tried 6.0b1 and after a couple hours messing around reverted to
>5.4.1. Couldn't get 6.0b1 to start properly (would hang at the starting
>splash screen, yet slim and slimserver were running. Could open IE and go
>to 127.xxx... and get to the browser, but it would invariably run into some
>problem and hang. So I will wait for the other guinea pigs to play with it...

Peter - what OS are you running on?

Could you try the latest nightly build? http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.0/

If problems aren't reported with 6.0 - we can't fix them. And believe me, we really want to fix them. :)

>Still would love to be able to stream from Jriver Media Center...

You can file a feature request at http://bugs.slimdevices.com/

Thanks.

-D
--
On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.