PDA

View Full Version : Snooze!



Ben Gladstone
2005-03-11, 08:57
how about: for an hour after an alarm a short hit on the red remote
button = snooze 10 mins?

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Marc Sherman
Sent: 11 March 2005 13:30
To: Slim Devices Discussion
Subject: [slim] Snooze!

So now that the price of squeezeboxes is going to plummet in the
secondary market, I have visions of sugar plum faeries dancing through
my head, filling every room in my house with a squeezebox.

I'm thinking a squeezebox in the bedroom could replace my existing
CD/Clock/Radio, using the Alarm plugin, except for one thing: it has no
snooze button!

Is it possible to rig something up to the Geekport on the SB1 that will
act as a snooze button for an alarm clock? I'm not afraid of a bit of
light soldering or light perl hacking to make this work, if anyone has
any ideas.

Ideally, I'd end up with a nice big button I can bat in a state of
semi-sleep. Possibly two -- one for snooze, one for off, though I
suppose a click-hold could be used for off. Everything else (setting
the alarm time and playlist) can be done with the remote or web
interface, since I'll be awake when doing that part.

- Marc

Marc Sherman
2005-03-11, 09:56
Ben Gladstone wrote:
> how about: for an hour after an alarm a short hit on the red remote
> button = snooze 10 mins?

I guess I wasn't clear in my first mail. A remote control isn't really
an acceptable physical interface for a snooze button. You have to find
it (it's small, and tends to fall between the pillows if you were
listening to music as you fell asleep the night before), you have to
point it in the right direction, and you have to find the tiny little
button with your thumb, all while half asleep.

What I want to do is a _hardware_ hack to wire up a nice big button to
sit beside the squeezebox. Like maybe one of these:

http://www.adinstruments.com/products/product.php?id=MLA91

- Marc

Jack Coates
2005-03-11, 10:19
Marc Sherman wrote:
> Ben Gladstone wrote:
>
>> how about: for an hour after an alarm a short hit on the red remote
>> button = snooze 10 mins?
>
>
> I guess I wasn't clear in my first mail. A remote control isn't really
> an acceptable physical interface for a snooze button. You have to find
> it (it's small, and tends to fall between the pillows if you were
> listening to music as you fell asleep the night before), you have to
> point it in the right direction, and you have to find the tiny little
> button with your thumb, all while half asleep.
>
> What I want to do is a _hardware_ hack to wire up a nice big button to
> sit beside the squeezebox. Like maybe one of these:
>
> http://www.adinstruments.com/products/product.php?id=MLA91
>
> - Marc

easier it is to work, more likely you are to ignore it. Now that's a
snooze button:
http://tenant.depart.livedoor.com/t/livedoorshop/item_detail?id=346274

I don't know what sort of command set the geek connector gives you, but
soldering a big button to it is probably the best way to go at this.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

ron thigpen
2005-03-11, 10:23
Jack Coates wrote:

> I don't know what sort of command set the geek connector gives you, but
> soldering a big button to it is probably the best way to go at this.

or just find/rig a one-button IR remote to send a unique code.
weight/velcro/glue it down if you have to.

--rt

kdf
2005-03-11, 11:02
Quoting Jack Coates <jack (AT) monkeynoodle (DOT) org>:

> Marc Sherman wrote:
> > Ben Gladstone wrote:
> >
> >> how about: for an hour after an alarm a short hit on the red remote
> >> button = snooze 10 mins?
> >
> >
> > I guess I wasn't clear in my first mail. A remote control isn't really
> > an acceptable physical interface for a snooze button. You have to find
> > it (it's small, and tends to fall between the pillows if you were
> > listening to music as you fell asleep the night before), you have to
> > point it in the right direction, and you have to find the tiny little
> > button with your thumb, all while half asleep.
> >
> > What I want to do is a _hardware_ hack to wire up a nice big button to
> > sit beside the squeezebox. Like maybe one of these:
> >
> > http://www.adinstruments.com/products/product.php?id=MLA91
> >
> > - Marc
>
> easier it is to work, more likely you are to ignore it. Now that's a
> snooze button:
> http://tenant.depart.livedoor.com/t/livedoorshop/item_detail?id=346274
>
> I don't know what sort of command set the geek connector gives you, but
> soldering a big button to it is probably the best way to go at this.
>

The plugin version of the alarm uses all of the number keys for a 10-minute
snooze, and the 4 arrow keys for turning off. Only once since I wrote the
thing have I hit the arrow keys while still too sleepy to pay attention. Far
less than the number of times I've left the amplifier set for dvd input and
woke up to silence an hour after the alarm was supposed to wake me :)

-kdf

Marc Sherman
2005-03-11, 11:41
Jack Coates wrote:
>
> I don't know what sort of command set the geek connector gives you,
> but soldering a big button to it is probably the best way to go at
> this.
>

That's what I thought. Sean et al, are there any specs for the SB1
geekport available?

- Marc