PDA

View Full Version : Trade-in of recent Squeezebox for Squeezebox2 ?



Jason
2005-03-10, 12:21
Well, even if Sean had answered you I doubt we would have seen a different
personality from you here. You certainly seem very eager to vent your angst
towards all things Slim.

A glut of Squeezeboxen on eBay? I see four of them up for sale, most of
them look like they will be going for well over $150 which would bring the
cost of upgrading to the new unit down to $100 or so after the coupon deal.

If companies made it their habit to tell their customers about all their new
plans, well in advance, or offer trade-in deals that cost them $$$ they
would soon go out of business.

Maybe you should inquire with Roku about what their upgrade policy is. Last
time I checked they didn't offer even a 30 day money back guarentee.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of
> Timothy Knight Nelson
> Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:39 AM
> To: Slim Devices Discussion
> Subject: [slim] Trade-in of recent Squeezebox for
> Squeezebox2 ?
>
> Sean,
>
> I understand that, but when you solicit personal email and
> queue it to other departments while responding to threads
> that don't even directly address you here... don't you think
> that is a little backwards? It's not that you don't care:
> it's that it *seems* like you don't care.
> Even a couple of lines expressing minor sympathy, explaining
> your policy and pointing out the "PONY" deal (which your
> sales person did
> not) would have diffused my frustration, while feeling
> intentionally ignored intensified it. If that is too much,
> then you need to rethink inviting such interaction with your
> customers. Unfortunately, as your little venture grows with
> (hopefully) continued success, you are going to face a
> changing role, one that may be a lot less fun than when you
> started. Such is the nature of success.
>
> For my part, I apologize if I have offended you or anyone
> else here, and appreciate the time you all spent in sharing
> your perspectives. My sleep-deprived state made the grapes a
> bit more sour than usual.
>
> All the Best,
> Tim
>
> On Mar 10, 2005, at 9:14 AM, Sean Adams wrote:
>
> >
> > I received several hundred replies to the announcement and am still
> > answering them.
> >
> > All sales questions went to sales, because that's who has the data
> > about when and what you purchased, if you're in the 30-day
> > no-questions-asked return period, etc.
> >
> > Most technical questions I answered myself, and some went to our
> > support dept if I thought they could answer it better.
> >
> > It takes more than one person to do all of this.
> >
> >
> >
> > On Mar 10, 2005, at 8:57 AM, Timothy Knight Nelson wrote:
> >
> >> Jim,
> >>
> >> Very cute. I probably never would have posted at all, but after
> >> reading Sean's welcoming "write me if you have any
> questions" in the
> >> SB2 announce and writing a very polite letter of inquiry to him, I
> >> was a little miffed to receive an almost-form-letter from shipping
> >> and sales (who I did *not* include when sending that message) and
> >> nothing from Sean, who is happily posting the day away with all of
> >> the SB2 fans.
> >>
> >> Not likely I'll sell my SB1 on eBay soon: looks like a
> glut there, a
> >> wait for an SB2 and still some problems with the new
> software. Not
> >> to mention the fact that if I buy now, Apple will no doubt release
> >> their long-rumored "media hub" in a month and a day ;-)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Tim
> >>
> >> On Mar 10, 2005, at 1:00 AM, Jim's Public email wrote:
> >>
> >>> After being subscribed to these lists for over a year, and never
> >>> making a post I've got some catching up to do.....
> >>>
> >>> Tim,
> >>>
> >>> To make you feel better or at least send you to sleep :P
> here is my
> >>> story......
> >>>
> >>> I'm from the UK but right now live in a country where
> anything that
> >>> gets imported gets taxed, and taxed heavily. I was even thinking
> >>> one day of getting a overseas friend to send me a empty
> box to screw
> >>> customs over, then realised the rumours they tax carboard
> are true!
> >>>
> >>> About one and a half years ago thanks to my grandmother I
> bought a
> >>> SlimMP3. It arrived and I had to pay something like US$100 in
> >>> import duties, not to mention the additional postage.
> >>>
> >>> Upon recieving it when going to the website to check for software
> >>> updates that very day (I had checked the day before) the
> whole site
> >>> had changed and was advertising the brand new SqueezeBox.
> "#@*.....!
> >>> *&@#...."
> >>>
> >>> I moaned to myself for a while as I normally do and then moaned
> >>> about the fact I had just got an out of date product and to be
> >>> honest if I'd have been cunning and not had all the hassles of
> >>> returning it within the 30-day period I would of packed
> it up, gone
> >>> down to the post office, taken advantage of the
> no-questions returns
> >>> policy and sent it back for refund. Paying yet more sky-high
> >>> international postage, filling in special export/import forms,
> >>> waiting for credit card refund, buying a SqueezeBox, wating for
> >>> delivery, paying another lot of import tax, having a fear of
> >>> sellotape & pensioners etc.......
> >>> made
> >>> me realise it wasn't worth doing.
> >>>
> >>> Still I was just happy to have it. All my original CD's
> are in the
> >>> UK, so being able to remotely control, select and hear
> 320kbps MP3's
> >>> coming out of my hi-fi was wonderful. That's all I
> wanted back then
> >>> -
> >>> at that time my experience of Internet Radio was worse than my
> >>> experience of Windows ME and I thought wireless
> networking was some
> >>> fancy term a radio salesman used to impress the ladies.
> When I saw
> >>> the "Buy Now" button that's what I wanted to do, at that
> time it was
> >>> the right decision. I got what I wanted when I paid for
> it. Would
> >>> be on par with you if I ended here.....but it gets worse.....
> >>>
> >>> About 2 months ago I discovered FLAC and took my daughter out of
> >>> school and bought a pet monkey so they could spend a whole month
> >>> re-ripping all my music. Thanks to FLAC I had lossless
> copies of my
> >>> music, my daughter had learned 4 letters of the alphabet and my
> >>> monkey now knew how to operate 2 lossless encoders
> (however I'd be
> >>> lying if I told you FLAC was his preferred format).
> >>>
> >>> Also thanks to FLAC I now had the perfect excuse to buy a
> Squeezebox
> >>> and develop a new strange obsession, this time for audio
> >>> fingerprints.
> >>> So I got the Squeezebox which involved paying more sky-high
> >>> postage and tax. Despite the fact that this package was
> wrapped in
> >>> more sellotape than the last I was actually on and listening to
> >>> Cloud Nine in true lossless audio (RIP George). Plus
> Internet Radio
> >>> actually did what it said. I'd not had such a easy to use and
> >>> rewarding technology experience since I saw the "It's Now Safe To
> >>> Turn Off Your Computer"
> >>> message back in 1995.
> >>>
> >>> I have still not decided what to do with my old SlimMP3 -
> sell it or
> >>> buy a mini-hifi and use it in the dungeon?
> >>>
> >>> Now with history's strange way of repeating itself imagine how I
> >>> felt a few days ago learning about the Squeezebox2 - just
> 2 months
> >>> after buying the SB1. I shouldn't have read the specs on
> it - FLAC
> >>> related features, serverless internet radio....this was even more
> >>> tempting than trying to lick my own elbow....Even worse
> was I looked
> >>> at the photos. Seeing those "analog" VU meters made my
> eyes widen,
> >>> reading the specs made my ears and other body parts
> twitch and not
> >>> seeing a "Upgrade your SB1 to a SB2 for $50" sign made my stomach
> >>> start fearing a frugal diet of just pasta, monkey and water.
> >>>
> >>> My eyes/ears are saying buy it. My brain is saying "You can't
> >>> afford it", "Those new features are not essential". This time
> >>> Granny cannot help me as she was sold to pay for my
> initial SlimMP3
> >>> purchase. I went to see my Doctor for help but was told
> I needed at
> >>> least 1 kidney to live having sold the other to pay for the SB1.
> >>> Yes I was a bit frustrated, but hey that's life.
> >>>
> >>> Just like I was doing last week I can manage perfectly
> well with the
> >>> SB1 as long as I take my tablets. The SB1 was 10/10
> rating for me
> >>> last week, now it's 9/10 as I can't give the SB2 11/10
> unless I go
> >>> all Spinal Tap on the ratings system!
> >>>
> >>> It's not SlimDevices fault I bought when I did, it's not
> really mine
> >>> either. It's just unlucky. Do I cry and moan in emails about it?
> >>> Or
> >>> do I just sit and laugh to myself about it and turn what was
> >>> supposed to be a quick response into a overly-long novel?
> >>>
> >>> I've learned if I'm gonna get a SB2 I had better do it
> now, because
> >>> in
> >>> 1 years time if I get one with my luck a SB3 will appear 1 month
> >>> after purchase. Personally I am sure I have psychic
> powers and this
> >>> is my way of predicting new Slimdevices products.
> >>>
> >>> You have to remember that whilst it's quite possibly the
> most sexy
> >>> piece of electronics ever invented - that is all it is. It's not
> >>> cheap, but you didn't have to remortgage your house to
> buy it. In
> >>> your case nobody was physically hurt, nobody died. You just got
> >>> unlucky. Get over it, keep what you've got or sell and upgrade.
> >>>
> >>> But please don't post to these newsgroups trying to look
> for answers
> >>> and solutions from the Slim team or to vent you anger at them.
> >>> They're not a evil money-chasing empire who only give the
> impression
> >>> of being a nice, open "we care" company who listen to their
> >>> customers.
> >>> I believe they really do care, obviously they care about making
> >>> money but they also know that most of their business is obvioulsy
> >>> generated by a great product, word of mouth, the openness of the
> >>> product and the great support. They might fit into the same
> >>> crossword space but Slim are not another Sony - if you
> want further
> >>> proof check the website, do you see any robotic dogs?
> >>>
> >>> However cool/nice/open/warm/welcoming someone is it's not fair to
> >>> take advantage of their traits and expect them to solve your
> >>> misfortunes.
> >>> As the reply to you said, a line has to be drawn somewhere - at
> >>> least you got a human reply. Before the SB2 launch they could of
> >>> stopped selling the SB1, gone on holiday and not sold
> anything for a
> >>> month - but then you'd be complaining that you cannot buy
> one, we'd
> >>> all be complaining there was noone from the complaints
> department to
> >>> play online tic-tac-toe with and they'd all be
> complaining of sunburn.
> >>>
> >>> Nobody gets an easy ride from me so either Slim got
> lucky, their PR
> >>> departments mind-control experiements are working well
> (never look
> >>> at the Slim display for more than 32 seconds) or I
> genuinely respect
> >>> their ethics and love the products they produce - even when they
> >>> become instantly "obsolete" after they've cunningly
> delayed the next
> >>> product launch until just after I've ordered.
> >>>
> >>> So other than the practical solution of keeping or
> >>> selling/upgrading, if you're still upset then you could
> go down the
> >>> pub and just hope the beer you get is not the funny tasting stuff
> >>> from the bottom of the barrel :D
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> /Jim
> >>> Obviously bored contender for title of unluckiest SlimDevices
> >>> customer
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>> Hello Timothy,
> >>>>
> >>>> Unfortunately we do not have any trade in programs for
> our products.
> >>>> It is always difficult to make a smooth transition to a new
> >>>> product, and as you said, you have to draw the line
> somewhere. And
> >>>> in fairness to other customers, we need to be consistent
> with this
> >>>> policy.
> >>>> Please
> >>>> let me know if you have any other questions.
> >>>>
> >>>> Kind Regards,
> >>>>
> >>>> Brian Helmle
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> Brian Helmle
> >>>> Sales and Shipping
> >>>> Slim Devices
> >>>> brian (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com
> >>>> (650) 210-9400
> >>>>
> >>>> From: Timothy Knight Nelson <tknelson (AT) slac (DOT) stanford.edu>
> >>>>> Date: March 9, 2005 10:57:41 AM PST
> >>>>> To: sadams (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com
> >>>>> Subject: Trade-in of recent Squeezebox for Squeezebox2 ?
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Dear Sean,
> >>>>>
> >>>>> First off, thanks for making a great product. Despite my
> >>>>> frustrations, I think you have a winner here and I wish you all
> >>>>> the best. My story in brief...
> >>>>>
> >>>>> I received a Wireless Squeezebox in late January with the
> >>>>> intention of ripping my entire CD library to Apple Lossless
> >>>>> (several hundred
> >>>>> CDs) on a dedicated disk and serving them across my wireless
> >>>>> network to my stereo. Along the way, I discovered that
> trying to
> >>>>> stream Apple Lossless across an 802.11b network (even with great
> >>>>> reception)
> >>>>> results in a lot of dropouts, even with almost no other
> traffic on
> >>>>> the network. So, after much cursing at having paid for the
> >>>>> wireless version, I started drilling holes and
> installing network
> >>>>> cables.
> >>>>> After placing the Squeezebox on the wired network, things are
> >>>>> smoother but I still have occasional dropouts, especially when
> >>>>> there is other activity on the network. Although there
> has been
> >>>>> some cursing at not having 10/100 in the Squeezebox
> (like pretty
> >>>>> much every other cheap networked item on the market in the past
> >>>>> few
> >>>>> years)
> >>>>> I decided I could live with it: I really like it on the
> whole, and
> >>>>> there is no other option that comes close.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> So, naturally I am dismayed to surf to your site today and
> >>>>> discover the dawn of the Squeezebox 2. If I were
> serving out mp3,
> >>>>> I wouldn't care less, but the faster connectivity of
> the new unit
> >>>>> is exactly what I need for this application. Clearly,
> if it were
> >>>>> within 30 days of my ship-date (Jan 20) this thing
> would be back
> >>>>> in the mail to you
> >>>>> already: but I am now just beyond that horizon. I
> understand you
> >>>>> have to draw the line somewhere, but I'd be willing to pay some
> >>>>> kind of upgrade or trade-in fee to get a V2 unit, since
> this one
> >>>>> will continue to be a source of frustration here.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> So, the question: is there any chance you can offer a
> trade-in or
> >>>>> upgrade on recently purchased (e.g. since Jan. 1?)
> Squeezeboxes?
> >>>>> I believe it is in your long-term best interest to take care of
> >>>>> customers that are in my situation: a big part of choosing the
> >>>>> Squeezebox over your rivals at Roku was your respective
> >>>>> reputations for customer service.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Best Regards,
> >>>>> Dr. Tim Nelson
> >>>>> Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
> >>>>
> >>>

Timothy Knight Nelson
2005-03-10, 12:35
On Mar 10, 2005, at 11:21 AM, Jason wrote:

> Well, even if Sean had answered you I doubt we would have seen a
> different
> personality from you here. You certainly seem very eager to vent your
> angst
> towards all things Slim.

You are wrong, Jason: please don't tell me who I am and I'll afford you
the same courtesy.

> A glut of Squeezeboxen on eBay? I see four of them up for sale, most
> of
> them look like they will be going for well over $150 which would bring
> the
> cost of upgrading to the new unit down to $100 or so after the coupon
> deal.

2 were newly-posted yesterday afternoon. Safe bet that there will be
regular additions over the next few weeks. I've already posted mine
for sale here. I don't have it in for Slim, and have repeatedly
expressed my best wishes for Sean and the company. I'll buy several
more if they please me: the SB1 that I begrudgingly kept, does not. It
has already been placed up for sale on this list.

Cheers,
Tim

>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
>> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of
>> Timothy Knight Nelson
>> Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:39 AM
>> To: Slim Devices Discussion
>> Subject: [slim] Trade-in of recent Squeezebox for
>> Squeezebox2 ?
>>
>> Sean,
>>
>> I understand that, but when you solicit personal email and
>> queue it to other departments while responding to threads
>> that don't even directly address you here... don't you think
>> that is a little backwards? It's not that you don't care:
>> it's that it *seems* like you don't care.
>> Even a couple of lines expressing minor sympathy, explaining
>> your policy and pointing out the "PONY" deal (which your
>> sales person did
>> not) would have diffused my frustration, while feeling
>> intentionally ignored intensified it. If that is too much,
>> then you need to rethink inviting such interaction with your
>> customers. Unfortunately, as your little venture grows with
>> (hopefully) continued success, you are going to face a
>> changing role, one that may be a lot less fun than when you
>> started. Such is the nature of success.
>>
>> For my part, I apologize if I have offended you or anyone
>> else here, and appreciate the time you all spent in sharing
>> your perspectives. My sleep-deprived state made the grapes a
>> bit more sour than usual.
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Tim
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2005, at 9:14 AM, Sean Adams wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> I received several hundred replies to the announcement and am still
>>> answering them.
>>>
>>> All sales questions went to sales, because that's who has the data
>>> about when and what you purchased, if you're in the 30-day
>>> no-questions-asked return period, etc.
>>>
>>> Most technical questions I answered myself, and some went to our
>>> support dept if I thought they could answer it better.
>>>
>>> It takes more than one person to do all of this.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mar 10, 2005, at 8:57 AM, Timothy Knight Nelson wrote:
>>>
>>>> Jim,
>>>>
>>>> Very cute. I probably never would have posted at all, but after
>>>> reading Sean's welcoming "write me if you have any
>> questions" in the
>>>> SB2 announce and writing a very polite letter of inquiry to him, I
>>>> was a little miffed to receive an almost-form-letter from shipping
>>>> and sales (who I did *not* include when sending that message) and
>>>> nothing from Sean, who is happily posting the day away with all of
>>>> the SB2 fans.
>>>>
>>>> Not likely I'll sell my SB1 on eBay soon: looks like a
>> glut there, a
>>>> wait for an SB2 and still some problems with the new
>> software. Not
>>>> to mention the fact that if I buy now, Apple will no doubt release
>>>> their long-rumored "media hub" in a month and a day ;-)
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Tim
>>>>
>>>> On Mar 10, 2005, at 1:00 AM, Jim's Public email wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> After being subscribed to these lists for over a year, and never
>>>>> making a post I've got some catching up to do.....
>>>>>
>>>>> Tim,
>>>>>
>>>>> To make you feel better or at least send you to sleep :P
>> here is my
>>>>> story......
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm from the UK but right now live in a country where
>> anything that
>>>>> gets imported gets taxed, and taxed heavily. I was even thinking
>>>>> one day of getting a overseas friend to send me a empty
>> box to screw
>>>>> customs over, then realised the rumours they tax carboard
>> are true!
>>>>>
>>>>> About one and a half years ago thanks to my grandmother I
>> bought a
>>>>> SlimMP3. It arrived and I had to pay something like US$100 in
>>>>> import duties, not to mention the additional postage.
>>>>>
>>>>> Upon recieving it when going to the website to check for software
>>>>> updates that very day (I had checked the day before) the
>> whole site
>>>>> had changed and was advertising the brand new SqueezeBox.
>> "#@*.....!
>>>>> *&@#...."
>>>>>
>>>>> I moaned to myself for a while as I normally do and then moaned
>>>>> about the fact I had just got an out of date product and to be
>>>>> honest if I'd have been cunning and not had all the hassles of
>>>>> returning it within the 30-day period I would of packed
>> it up, gone
>>>>> down to the post office, taken advantage of the
>> no-questions returns
>>>>> policy and sent it back for refund. Paying yet more sky-high
>>>>> international postage, filling in special export/import forms,
>>>>> waiting for credit card refund, buying a SqueezeBox, wating for
>>>>> delivery, paying another lot of import tax, having a fear of
>>>>> sellotape & pensioners etc.......
>>>>> made
>>>>> me realise it wasn't worth doing.
>>>>>
>>>>> Still I was just happy to have it. All my original CD's
>> are in the
>>>>> UK, so being able to remotely control, select and hear
>> 320kbps MP3's
>>>>> coming out of my hi-fi was wonderful. That's all I
>> wanted back then
>>>>> -
>>>>> at that time my experience of Internet Radio was worse than my
>>>>> experience of Windows ME and I thought wireless
>> networking was some
>>>>> fancy term a radio salesman used to impress the ladies.
>> When I saw
>>>>> the "Buy Now" button that's what I wanted to do, at that
>> time it was
>>>>> the right decision. I got what I wanted when I paid for
>> it. Would
>>>>> be on par with you if I ended here.....but it gets worse.....
>>>>>
>>>>> About 2 months ago I discovered FLAC and took my daughter out of
>>>>> school and bought a pet monkey so they could spend a whole month
>>>>> re-ripping all my music. Thanks to FLAC I had lossless
>> copies of my
>>>>> music, my daughter had learned 4 letters of the alphabet and my
>>>>> monkey now knew how to operate 2 lossless encoders
>> (however I'd be
>>>>> lying if I told you FLAC was his preferred format).
>>>>>
>>>>> Also thanks to FLAC I now had the perfect excuse to buy a
>> Squeezebox
>>>>> and develop a new strange obsession, this time for audio
>>>>> fingerprints.
>>>>> So I got the Squeezebox which involved paying more sky-high
>>>>> postage and tax. Despite the fact that this package was
>> wrapped in
>>>>> more sellotape than the last I was actually on and listening to
>>>>> Cloud Nine in true lossless audio (RIP George). Plus
>> Internet Radio
>>>>> actually did what it said. I'd not had such a easy to use and
>>>>> rewarding technology experience since I saw the "It's Now Safe To
>>>>> Turn Off Your Computer"
>>>>> message back in 1995.
>>>>>
>>>>> I have still not decided what to do with my old SlimMP3 -
>> sell it or
>>>>> buy a mini-hifi and use it in the dungeon?
>>>>>
>>>>> Now with history's strange way of repeating itself imagine how I
>>>>> felt a few days ago learning about the Squeezebox2 - just
>> 2 months
>>>>> after buying the SB1. I shouldn't have read the specs on
>> it - FLAC
>>>>> related features, serverless internet radio....this was even more
>>>>> tempting than trying to lick my own elbow....Even worse
>> was I looked
>>>>> at the photos. Seeing those "analog" VU meters made my
>> eyes widen,
>>>>> reading the specs made my ears and other body parts
>> twitch and not
>>>>> seeing a "Upgrade your SB1 to a SB2 for $50" sign made my stomach
>>>>> start fearing a frugal diet of just pasta, monkey and water.
>>>>>
>>>>> My eyes/ears are saying buy it. My brain is saying "You can't
>>>>> afford it", "Those new features are not essential". This time
>>>>> Granny cannot help me as she was sold to pay for my
>> initial SlimMP3
>>>>> purchase. I went to see my Doctor for help but was told
>> I needed at
>>>>> least 1 kidney to live having sold the other to pay for the SB1.
>>>>> Yes I was a bit frustrated, but hey that's life.
>>>>>
>>>>> Just like I was doing last week I can manage perfectly
>> well with the
>>>>> SB1 as long as I take my tablets. The SB1 was 10/10
>> rating for me
>>>>> last week, now it's 9/10 as I can't give the SB2 11/10
>> unless I go
>>>>> all Spinal Tap on the ratings system!
>>>>>
>>>>> It's not SlimDevices fault I bought when I did, it's not
>> really mine
>>>>> either. It's just unlucky. Do I cry and moan in emails about it?
>>>>> Or
>>>>> do I just sit and laugh to myself about it and turn what was
>>>>> supposed to be a quick response into a overly-long novel?
>>>>>
>>>>> I've learned if I'm gonna get a SB2 I had better do it
>> now, because
>>>>> in
>>>>> 1 years time if I get one with my luck a SB3 will appear 1 month
>>>>> after purchase. Personally I am sure I have psychic
>> powers and this
>>>>> is my way of predicting new Slimdevices products.
>>>>>
>>>>> You have to remember that whilst it's quite possibly the
>> most sexy
>>>>> piece of electronics ever invented - that is all it is. It's not
>>>>> cheap, but you didn't have to remortgage your house to
>> buy it. In
>>>>> your case nobody was physically hurt, nobody died. You just got
>>>>> unlucky. Get over it, keep what you've got or sell and upgrade.
>>>>>
>>>>> But please don't post to these newsgroups trying to look
>> for answers
>>>>> and solutions from the Slim team or to vent you anger at them.
>>>>> They're not a evil money-chasing empire who only give the
>> impression
>>>>> of being a nice, open "we care" company who listen to their
>>>>> customers.
>>>>> I believe they really do care, obviously they care about making
>>>>> money but they also know that most of their business is obvioulsy
>>>>> generated by a great product, word of mouth, the openness of the
>>>>> product and the great support. They might fit into the same
>>>>> crossword space but Slim are not another Sony - if you
>> want further
>>>>> proof check the website, do you see any robotic dogs?
>>>>>
>>>>> However cool/nice/open/warm/welcoming someone is it's not fair to
>>>>> take advantage of their traits and expect them to solve your
>>>>> misfortunes.
>>>>> As the reply to you said, a line has to be drawn somewhere - at
>>>>> least you got a human reply. Before the SB2 launch they could of
>>>>> stopped selling the SB1, gone on holiday and not sold
>> anything for a
>>>>> month - but then you'd be complaining that you cannot buy
>> one, we'd
>>>>> all be complaining there was noone from the complaints
>> department to
>>>>> play online tic-tac-toe with and they'd all be
>> complaining of sunburn.
>>>>>
>>>>> Nobody gets an easy ride from me so either Slim got
>> lucky, their PR
>>>>> departments mind-control experiements are working well
>> (never look
>>>>> at the Slim display for more than 32 seconds) or I
>> genuinely respect
>>>>> their ethics and love the products they produce - even when they
>>>>> become instantly "obsolete" after they've cunningly
>> delayed the next
>>>>> product launch until just after I've ordered.
>>>>>
>>>>> So other than the practical solution of keeping or
>>>>> selling/upgrading, if you're still upset then you could
>> go down the
>>>>> pub and just hope the beer you get is not the funny tasting stuff
>>>>> from the bottom of the barrel :D
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> /Jim
>>>>> Obviously bored contender for title of unluckiest SlimDevices
>>>>> customer
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hello Timothy,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Unfortunately we do not have any trade in programs for
>> our products.
>>>>>> It is always difficult to make a smooth transition to a new
>>>>>> product, and as you said, you have to draw the line
>> somewhere. And
>>>>>> in fairness to other customers, we need to be consistent
>> with this
>>>>>> policy.
>>>>>> Please
>>>>>> let me know if you have any other questions.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Kind Regards,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Brian Helmle
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> Brian Helmle
>>>>>> Sales and Shipping
>>>>>> Slim Devices
>>>>>> brian (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com
>>>>>> (650) 210-9400
>>>>>>
>>>>>> From: Timothy Knight Nelson <tknelson (AT) slac (DOT) stanford.edu>
>>>>>>> Date: March 9, 2005 10:57:41 AM PST
>>>>>>> To: sadams (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com
>>>>>>> Subject: Trade-in of recent Squeezebox for Squeezebox2 ?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Dear Sean,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> First off, thanks for making a great product. Despite my
>>>>>>> frustrations, I think you have a winner here and I wish you all
>>>>>>> the best. My story in brief...
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I received a Wireless Squeezebox in late January with the
>>>>>>> intention of ripping my entire CD library to Apple Lossless
>>>>>>> (several hundred
>>>>>>> CDs) on a dedicated disk and serving them across my wireless
>>>>>>> network to my stereo. Along the way, I discovered that
>> trying to
>>>>>>> stream Apple Lossless across an 802.11b network (even with great
>>>>>>> reception)
>>>>>>> results in a lot of dropouts, even with almost no other
>> traffic on
>>>>>>> the network. So, after much cursing at having paid for the
>>>>>>> wireless version, I started drilling holes and
>> installing network
>>>>>>> cables.
>>>>>>> After placing the Squeezebox on the wired network, things are
>>>>>>> smoother but I still have occasional dropouts, especially when
>>>>>>> there is other activity on the network. Although there
>> has been
>>>>>>> some cursing at not having 10/100 in the Squeezebox
>> (like pretty
>>>>>>> much every other cheap networked item on the market in the past
>>>>>>> few
>>>>>>> years)
>>>>>>> I decided I could live with it: I really like it on the
>> whole, and
>>>>>>> there is no other option that comes close.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> So, naturally I am dismayed to surf to your site today and
>>>>>>> discover the dawn of the Squeezebox 2. If I were
>> serving out mp3,
>>>>>>> I wouldn't care less, but the faster connectivity of
>> the new unit
>>>>>>> is exactly what I need for this application. Clearly,
>> if it were
>>>>>>> within 30 days of my ship-date (Jan 20) this thing
>> would be back
>>>>>>> in the mail to you
>>>>>>> already: but I am now just beyond that horizon. I
>> understand you
>>>>>>> have to draw the line somewhere, but I'd be willing to pay some
>>>>>>> kind of upgrade or trade-in fee to get a V2 unit, since
>> this one
>>>>>>> will continue to be a source of frustration here.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> So, the question: is there any chance you can offer a
>> trade-in or
>>>>>>> upgrade on recently purchased (e.g. since Jan. 1?)
>> Squeezeboxes?
>>>>>>> I believe it is in your long-term best interest to take care of
>>>>>>> customers that are in my situation: a big part of choosing the
>>>>>>> Squeezebox over your rivals at Roku was your respective
>>>>>>> reputations for customer service.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Best Regards,
>>>>>>> Dr. Tim Nelson
>>>>>>> Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
>>>>>>
>>>>>