PDA

View Full Version : Yet more SB2 Questions



Patrick Dixon
2005-03-10, 03:30
First congratulations!

Now the questions:

1) Given the (almost) infinte upgradablity of the new hardware through FPGA
firmware updates ;), will you ensure that any firmware updates from
Slimserver to the SB2 are only implemented at the user's discretion, and
that in the event of a problem/incompatibility the firmware can be
downgraded too?

2) Does the FPGA have an accessible pin that flags which of the two
oscillators is in current use? I have a feeling that this would be very
useful in the design of any improved clock circuitry.

3) Does (or could) the wired/wireless connectivity allow for say, connection
of the SB2 to a wired network whilst using the wireless link to allow
connection of a pocket pc back to the server (or is that what you'd call a
bridge)? This could be very useful in environments where you have multiple
SBs and 'global' wireless coverage is tricky.

Patrick

seanadams
2005-03-10, 09:44
On Mar 10, 2005, at 2:30 AM, Patrick Dixon wrote:

> First congratulations!
>
> Now the questions:
>
> 1) Given the (almost) infinte upgradablity of the new hardware through
> FPGA
> firmware updates ;), will you ensure that any firmware updates from
> Slimserver to the SB2 are only implemented at the user's discretion,
> and
> that in the event of a problem/incompatibility the firmware can be
> downgraded too?

As with previous SlimServer revs, whatever version of SlimServer you're
running will require the corresponding firmware on the device. You can
force it to try and use an older or newer rev by tweaking the
squeezebox2.version file.

>
> 2) Does the FPGA have an accessible pin that flags which of the two
> oscillators is in current use? I have a feeling that this would be
> very
> useful in the design of any improved clock circuitry.

Yes, it does.

> 3) Does (or could) the wired/wireless connectivity allow for say,
> connection
> of the SB2 to a wired network whilst using the wireless link to allow
> connection of a pocket pc back to the server (or is that what you'd
> call a
> bridge)? This could be very useful in environments where you have
> multiple
> SBs and 'global' wireless coverage is tricky.

OTOH yes I believe this works.

Joshua Uziel
2005-03-11, 10:01
* Arthur Cheng <artcheng (AT) netvigator (DOT) com> [050311 08:34]:
> Would be really nice and sell more units if SB can have this kind of
> design together with this really nice remote control!!
>
> http://www.sonos.com/?tref=logoproducts

.... and cost three times as much together? Yeah, the Sonos is cool...
but if you want a Sonos, buy a Sonos. They're another start-up that
needs your support. I'm personally happy with SD's stuff in their
present form.