PDA

View Full Version : (UK) Powered speakers for SB



BenRubinstein
2005-03-07, 17:32
I've got that difficult second squeezebox syndrome.

I'm looking for recommendations for decent powered speakers for a
squeezebox. I don't want something with a sub-woofer - I'm quite fond of my
neighbours, and don't think I'll be wanting to crank up the volume; and
IANAA; but I would like the music I'm listening to, to sound 'nice'.

Buying another cd/tuner system now feels like investing in the horse just as
the motor car is coming good. But the powered speakers without a sub-woofer
that I've seen in local shops are basically computer speakers, and seem to
be sold mainly for those who want to hear the sound effects of Grand Theft
Auto better.

I've scanned the archives, and seen some promising leads - eg the Swan M200
get very good reviews, and at $180 seem a reasonable price - but they don't
appear to be available in the UK at all.

Can anyone recommend some good options, that are available in the UK?

TIA,

Ben Rubinstein | Email: benr_ml (AT) cogapp (DOT) com
Cognitive Applications Ltd | Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
http://www.cogapp.com | Fax : +44 (0)1273-728866

Jack Coates
2005-03-07, 19:37
BenRubinstein wrote:
> I've got that difficult second squeezebox syndrome.
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for decent powered speakers for a
> squeezebox. I don't want something with a sub-woofer - I'm quite fond of my
> neighbours, and don't think I'll be wanting to crank up the volume; and
> IANAA; but I would like the music I'm listening to, to sound 'nice'.
>
> Buying another cd/tuner system now feels like investing in the horse just as
> the motor car is coming good. But the powered speakers without a sub-woofer
> that I've seen in local shops are basically computer speakers, and seem to
> be sold mainly for those who want to hear the sound effects of Grand Theft
> Auto better.
>
> I've scanned the archives, and seen some promising leads - eg the Swan M200
> get very good reviews, and at $180 seem a reasonable price - but they don't
> appear to be available in the UK at all.
>
> Can anyone recommend some good options, that are available in the UK?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ben Rubinstein

I'm happy with my Edirol MA-20D's.

One thing to think about if you're married, I've been phasing out the
tuner thing and got into hot water with the missus for disabling radio
in the front room. I now have a "get real FM radio into the Slimserver"
project to figure out.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

Neil Sleightholm
2005-03-08, 00:40
Bose do some nice powered speakers.

Neil

BenRubinstein wrote:

> I've got that difficult second squeezebox syndrome.
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for decent powered speakers for a
> squeezebox. I don't want something with a sub-woofer - I'm quite
> fond of my neighbours, and don't think I'll be wanting to crank up
> the volume; and IANAA; but I would like the music I'm listening to,
> to sound 'nice'.
>
> Buying another cd/tuner system now feels like investing in the horse
> just as the motor car is coming good. But the powered speakers
> without a sub-woofer that I've seen in local shops are basically
> computer speakers, and seem to be sold mainly for those who want to
> hear the sound effects of Grand Theft Auto better.
>
> I've scanned the archives, and seen some promising leads - eg the
> Swan M200 get very good reviews, and at $180 seem a reasonable price
> - but they don't appear to be available in the UK at all.
>
> Can anyone recommend some good options, that are available in the UK?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ben Rubinstein | Email:
> benr_ml (AT) cogapp (DOT) com Cognitive
> Applications Ltd | Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
> http://www.cogapp.com | Fax : +44 (0)1273-728866

Neil Sleightholm
2005-03-08, 00:40
Re: FM - you need AlienBBC.

Neil

Jack Coates wrote:

> BenRubinstein wrote:
> > I've got that difficult second squeezebox syndrome.
> >
> > I'm looking for recommendations for decent powered speakers for a
> > squeezebox. I don't want something with a sub-woofer - I'm quite
> > fond of my neighbours, and don't think I'll be wanting to crank up
> > the volume; and IANAA; but I would like the music I'm listening to,
> > to sound 'nice'.
> >
> > Buying another cd/tuner system now feels like investing in the
> > horse just as the motor car is coming good. But the powered
> > speakers without a sub-woofer that I've seen in local shops are
> > basically computer speakers, and seem to be sold mainly for those
> > who want to hear the sound effects of Grand Theft Auto better.
> >
> > I've scanned the archives, and seen some promising leads - eg the
> > Swan M200 get very good reviews, and at $180 seem a reasonable
> > price - but they don't appear to be available in the UK at all.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend some good options, that are available in the
> > UK?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Ben Rubinstein
>
> I'm happy with my Edirol MA-20D's.
>
> One thing to think about if you're married, I've been phasing out the
> tuner thing and got into hot water with the missus for disabling
> radio in the front room. I now have a "get real FM radio into the
> Slimserver" project to figure out.

Ben Cook
2005-03-08, 06:14
I have the Acoustic Energy Aego 2 sub/sat. I know you weren't keen on
sub/sat systems but these are a little different from the rest, and you can
ge them for 100 from Superfi.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Sleightholm" <neil (AT) x2systems (DOT) com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 7:40 AM
Subject: [slim] (UK) Powered speakers for SB


> Bose do some nice powered speakers.
>
> Neil
>
> BenRubinstein wrote:
>
> > I've got that difficult second squeezebox syndrome.
> >
> > I'm looking for recommendations for decent powered speakers for a
> > squeezebox. I don't want something with a sub-woofer - I'm quite
> > fond of my neighbours, and don't think I'll be wanting to crank up
> > the volume; and IANAA; but I would like the music I'm listening to,
> > to sound 'nice'.
> >
> > Buying another cd/tuner system now feels like investing in the horse
> > just as the motor car is coming good. But the powered speakers
> > without a sub-woofer that I've seen in local shops are basically
> > computer speakers, and seem to be sold mainly for those who want to
> > hear the sound effects of Grand Theft Auto better.
> >
> > I've scanned the archives, and seen some promising leads - eg the
> > Swan M200 get very good reviews, and at $180 seem a reasonable price
> > - but they don't appear to be available in the UK at all.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend some good options, that are available in the UK?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Ben Rubinstein | Email:
> > benr_ml (AT) cogapp (DOT) com Cognitive
> > Applications Ltd | Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
> > http://www.cogapp.com | Fax : +44 (0)1273-728866
>
>

Arnon Meshoulam
2005-03-08, 13:01
BenRubinstein wrote:
> I've got that difficult second squeezebox syndrome.
>
> I'm looking for recommendations for decent powered speakers for a
> squeezebox. I don't want something with a sub-woofer - I'm quite fond of my
> neighbours, and don't think I'll be wanting to crank up the volume; and
> IANAA; but I would like the music I'm listening to, to sound 'nice'.
>
> Buying another cd/tuner system now feels like investing in the horse just as
> the motor car is coming good. But the powered speakers without a sub-woofer
> that I've seen in local shops are basically computer speakers, and seem to
> be sold mainly for those who want to hear the sound effects of Grand Theft
> Auto better.
>
> I've scanned the archives, and seen some promising leads - eg the Swan M200
> get very good reviews, and at $180 seem a reasonable price - but they don't
> appear to be available in the UK at all.
>
> Can anyone recommend some good options, that are available in the UK?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ben Rubinstein | Email: benr_ml (AT) cogapp (DOT) com
> Cognitive Applications Ltd | Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
> http://www.cogapp.com | Fax : +44 (0)1273-728866
This forum mentioned the Edirol MA-20D. They are available at Dolphin
Music - http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk

Arnon

Michael Peters
2005-03-08, 16:26
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:03:15 +0000, Andrew Lucas <alucas1 (AT) slb (DOT) com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was messing with WAV's recorded with a 48khz sampling rate, on my
> squeezebox's these play back slow regardless of using internal or external
> DAC's, is this what I should expect?

Do they work properly if encoded as mp3?
I'm just curious if my 48khz music encoded as mp3 will work fine through slim

--
http://mpeters.us/

Jack Coates
2005-03-08, 22:07
Neil Sleightholm wrote:
> FM - you need AlienBBC.
>
> Neil

AlienBBC is actually not capable of tuning a crystal to 88.5 or 104.5
and transcoding the FM signal into digital audio. I've been looking at
some nifty little USB-controlled radio toys that might do the trick, but
first I need to test out the theory of piping sound from my existing
tuner's tape-monitors to the server's soundcard and thence to
Slimserver. AlienBBC might play a part in that.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

Simon Still
2005-03-13, 06:58
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 22:58:39 +0000, BenRubinstein <benr_ml (AT) cogapp (DOT) com> wrote:
how should I expect the sound quality
> of Radio 4 through broadband->slimserver->squeezebox to compare with it over
> DABS? And would you expect reliability to be an issue?

That's what concerns me at the moment. DAB is not great quality but
then the streaming bitrates from the BBC are far from hi-fi and can
drop really low (sub 50k) when demand is high. Is another option not
to install a cheap FM tuner on the PC and work out some way of
streaming that to the SB?