PDA

View Full Version : Proposal: more lists



Robin Bowes
2005-03-03, 02:26
Hi,

The current "discuss" list carries a lot of traffic about a wide range
of topics.

Many new slim users are non-technical and don't want to read all the
detailed technical stuff, or the audiophile threads.

I'd like to propose that additional mailing lists are created to split
up the traffic more, particularly on the "general" list. I'd also like
to see the names of the lists change as indicated below.

I suggest the following lists:

slim-technical (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
- discussions of a technical nature about slim products

slim-audio (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
- discussions about audio topics, external DACs, etc.

slim-devel (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
- development of slimserver

slim-general (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
- general discussion (catch all)

Comments?

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

Phil Karn
2005-03-03, 03:02
Robin Bowes wrote:

> I'd like to propose that additional mailing lists are created to split
> up the traffic more, particularly on the "general" list. I'd also like
> to see the names of the lists change as indicated below.

In general, I think this is a bad idea. Topics have a way of crossing
finely-drawn boundaries like these, and besides most of us now have good
mail-reading software that can easily organize mail by topic and thread.
This makes it easy to follow the threads and topics you want while
ignoring the ones you don't want.

My observation is that when a list splits, one usually ends up bearing
all the traffic while the others go unused. Even worse, people start
cross-posting to all the lists. So nothing is really accomplished.

--Phil

Robin Bowes
2005-03-03, 12:40
Robin Bowes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The current "discuss" list carries a lot of traffic about a wide range
> of topics.
>
> Many new slim users are non-technical and don't want to read all the
> detailed technical stuff, or the audiophile threads.
>
> I'd like to propose that additional mailing lists are created to split
> up the traffic more, particularly on the "general" list. I'd also like
> to see the names of the lists change as indicated below.
>
> I suggest the following lists:
>
> slim-technical (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> - discussions of a technical nature about slim products
>
> slim-audio (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> - discussions about audio topics, external DACs, etc.
>
> slim-devel (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> - development of slimserver
>
> slim-general (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> - general discussion (catch all)

Actually, I've given this some more thought.

I now propose the following lists:

slim-beta (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
- discussion for those using beta releases of slimserver (5.4.1, 6.0)

slim-audio (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
- discussions about audio topics, external DACs, etc.

slim-devel (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
- development of slimserver

slim-general (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
- general discussion (catch all)

I don't think it's clear to new users that a lot of the traffic on this
list is about experimental features in beta versions of software.

It would give a much better experience for non-technical users if the
general list were restricted to release versions of the software. This
sets up a metaphorical line that users must cross to begin using
beta/alpha software, thus creating a better impression for the release
versions of the software.

So, the general list (or is it discuss?) should remain as it is, but for
release software only. A new beta list should be set up for nightlies,
5.4.1, 6.0, etc., and the devel list can remain for developers.

Oh, and the audio list I'm not too bothered about - just trying to keep
Jack happy :)

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com
--
http://robinbowes.com

kdf
2005-03-03, 12:59
Quoting Robin Bowes <robin-lists (AT) robinbowes (DOT) com>:


> I now propose the following lists:
>
> slim-beta (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> - discussion for those using beta releases of slimserver (5.4.1, 6.0)

a few attempts have been made to suggest to people that the developers list is a
better place to deal with issues arising from the 6.0 alphas. The fact that
there is so much traffic regarding alphas being sent to discuss likely just
serves to prove that has already been stated by a couple others: people just
tend to ignore the stated purpose of a list. Currently, we are (relatively)
free of the list-nazi type posts that plague other lists.

> slim-audio (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> - discussions about audio topics, external DACs, etc.

why not pick your favourite list from audiophile sites? (just beating Coates to
this comment)

These aren't really opinions, just playing devils advocate on a few points. As
I would end up being part of any and all list (just as I am now) and they all
come in to the same place. If anything does change, I just ask for warning.
I'll book some vacation (read: 3-day bender) to avoid the days of shouting and
griping that goes along with any change (you'd be surprised how many people get
so passionate about the name of the list that appears in the subject :)

-kdf

Marc Sherman
2005-03-03, 13:06
Robin Bowes wrote:
> I now propose the following lists:
>
> slim-beta (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> - discussion for those using beta releases of slimserver (5.4.1, 6.0)
>
> slim-audio (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> - discussions about audio topics, external DACs, etc.
>
> slim-devel (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> - development of slimserver
>
> slim-general (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> - general discussion (catch all)
>
> I don't think it's clear to new users that a lot of the traffic on this
> list is about experimental features in beta versions of software.

I agree with all the arguments against a list-split. However, I'd
really appreciate renaming the existing lists to use the semi-standard
"product-list" naming convention (ie: slim-discuss, slim-announce, etc,
instead of just discuss, announce).

I think a lot of existing traffic on discuss could be avoided if the 6.x
release announcements were posted to announce, with reply-to set to the
developers list.

- Marc

Simon Still
2005-03-04, 01:24
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:06:15 -0500, Marc Sherman <msherman (AT) projectile (DOT) ca> wrote:
>
> I think a lot of existing traffic on discuss could be avoided if the 6.x
> release announcements were posted to announce, with reply-to set to the
> developers list.

I think a lot of the requests for 'forums' show that theres a need for
a 'consumer' list. This should be it really and the alpha and beta
posts should move back to dev where they belong.

I'm interested in new functionality but dont have the time or patience
to mess with unreliable software. However, i am interested in plugin,
ways of working (for want of a better phrase - how to stuff) and the
like.

Maybe just a little more policing would help - i'm a member of another
list that grew a chat sister list. If posts went too off topic it got
stamped on pretty quickly.

Philip Meyer
2005-03-04, 02:08
I was going to suggest something similar.

It has been said already that it is not a good idea to split "discuss" into many lists, because it's hard to categorise and people will post in the wrong list, or cross-post, etc.

However, It appears that a lot of people on the discuss group have no interest in general audiophile discussions, music, what format is best, what WiFi router to use, how to get better signals, etc. Everyone has an interest in knowing when there's a new release, when bugs have been fixed, etc.

The "announce" list seems to have fallen off the side of the planet - I can't remember the last post we received from that list. Perhaps "announce" could also be used for indicating when bugs have been fixed by new releases, indicating what release they are available in. Everyone should join that list.

Then perhaps split "discuss" into two.

"support" for people to chat about their problems, solutions, perhaps new bugs raised in bugzilla should be posted there for discussion, etc. Almost everyone should join that list.

"discuss" for everything else.

Jack Coates
2005-03-04, 17:47
kdf wrote:
....
>> slim-audio (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
>> - discussions about audio topics, external DACs, etc.
>
>
> why not pick your favourite list from audiophile sites? (just beating Coates to
> this comment)
>

heh :)

> These aren't really opinions, just playing devils advocate on a few points. As
> I would end up being part of any and all list (just as I am now) and they all
> come in to the same place. If anything does change, I just ask for warning.
> I'll book some vacation (read: 3-day bender) to avoid the days of shouting and
> griping that goes along with any change (you'd be surprised how many people get
> so passionate about the name of the list that appears in the subject :)
>
> -kdf

good call. I say Vacation, you say Lost Weekend, let's work the whole
thing out.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!